Recent Relics

bearbqd

Elite Member
Ok, I think the picture thing is fixed now. Thanks...

Here are some of my finds lately. I was gonna throw the shotgun caps away when I first started finding them, but then I found a site that I was able to look them up. Every one of them is quite old; as far back as the late 1800's. The civil war bullet I found during my lunch break yesterday. I find myself eating as quickly as possible to get in a half hour or so. It's quite convenient that I eat at Quiznos a lot because the fields behind it have been cleared. That's what the outside pictures are and that's where I found the civil war bullet and buckles. Beside the civil war bullet is a fired musketball, a shotgun slug, an unidentified mushroomed bullet, and some other fired lead. I found the little, tiny buckle today.

Attachments

• Quizno Hunting grounds 2.jpg
    Quizno Hunting grounds 2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Quizno Hunting grounds.jpg
    Quizno Hunting grounds.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 282
  • Shotgun caps.jpg
    Shotgun caps.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Civil war bullet and others.jpg
    Civil war bullet and others.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 296
Nice bullet. I'm going to have to find me some of them one of these days. I'm tired of musketballs.

Nice minie ball. You may have a civil war encampment site there. One of the buckles may be from a civil war period knapsack (it looks like one), and the larger one could be from a bridle. These are common finds for civil war sites. A little research may hep you zero in on a mother lode of civil war artifacts.

Nice finds! Must be quite a treat to be able to get out and hunt on your lunch hour.
HH,
Bob

Good going Bear. I agree, if you are finding these things, there has to be a lot more real close.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have found 4 known civil war items in this area and several items that might be from that period. The area consists of cleared fields and woods of at least one to one and half square miles. The only 2 items that were found close to one another were my supposed confederate sniper bullet and the union eagle button ( about 40 feet apart). The others were scattered everywhere else. I have been planning on sitting down with the local historical society fellow on a day off, but on my rare day off (like last Wednesday), I can't keep from hitting the field from early as possible, even though I know I need to do more research and I know there were encampments in this area. I just can't bare taking the time away from detecting. It's quite consumed me. Aaaaaaa. Haven't even been to the gym in a month and a half. And this is from someone who has been a diehard weight lifter for 26 years. What have I become??????

I know Epi, I know, but I can't stop myself. I need to go MDA classes or something, but then again I wouldn't even go to those. It would take away from detecting time. :(

Back
Top Bottom