Garrett AT Pro 5x8 DD Depth Test

afal66

Hello all. Just putting my 2 cents in here. Got my new 5x8 DD yesterday and tested it on a 4" deep merc, and a 6" deep barber quarter. The merc signal was a consistent high pitch VDI was varying between 83 and 92. The quarter was very inconsistent with an occasional high pitch (all over the vdi scale). Ground balanced at 90ish. Still going to keep it for trashy areas though, and I will try it as my main coil for a bit just to see if it finds anything deeper than 6". So far in my opinion the stock coil seems like the best main coil.

Your tests are flawed...

You cannot test like that on fresh buried coins...

My 5x8 picks up mercs at 8 inches just fine!!

<*)))>{

Perhaps..buried the coins about 6 weeks ago....not sure how much time they need to "season"

I was skeptical on the depth for a little while. I was in a silver slump and it seemed every time I recovered a target it was no more than 2-4 inches.. I was really having my doubts for a second. I then realized that it was a location thing and not my coil. I hunted a yard a week ago when it was pretty dry out and was picking up wheats from 8-9 inches.. It rained a lot and I went back to give it another shot. Well I already cleaned the place very well, but what I did pick up were a few more clad dimes, around 8 inches, I was really shocked on one around 9-10... That same day, (soaked ground) I picked up a dime signal, it was not a dime, it was a small cap to something, a little bigger than a toothpaste cap, at 12 inches!!

For your test garden, I don't know and I'm sure soils can be different, but tamp it down really tight, and water it.. I think the soil and the coin have to reach a level of molecular bonding, ionic bonding?

I can see proof of this almost every hunt, because once you flip the plug, if over 6 inches deep and the coin is not in the plug, it, a lot of times can no longer be seen by the coil. You then have to rely on a pin pointer or waving handfuls of dirt in front of the coil to see/find the target again...

I would say give it a more optimistic chance, I think you will be surprised eventually!

Good luck!

<*)))>{

I don't seem to find anything deeper with my stock coil than I do with my 5x8. I was in a great site the other day and was getting a ton of old wheats and trade tokens. 16 wheats and one was a 1909, which made me wonder where the silver was. So I put on the stock coil to see if maybe it was a little deeper. Didn't find anything extra so I went right back to my trusty rusty tried-and-true 5x8.

I'm a believer in my 5x8 coil. I've revisited site I've hunted with my stock coil and am pulling lots of things in this trashy area that I didn't dig before. The separation is awesome. I actually found my first rings with it. In the last 5 hunts I've found 4 rings. Nothing of great value but still it has me much more confident in my md skills with my at pro now. Not to mention I've found a silver necklace 3 silver pendants and several other cheap jewelry pieces. I won't be going back to the stock coil anytime soon. Give it a chance it's a great setup

I just got the 5x8 for mine and have only got in a few hunts with it but found numerous coins including a wheatie at 6" in "pro mode" that was a Loud signal yet-- surprisingly loud. I believe many more coins are missed due to masking than to depth limitations in the majority of the areas I hunt. The stock coil ain't no slouch at seperation either though considering its size!!

have had my 5x8 DD coil pick copper cents at over 8 inches hard in my soil conditions here in North Texas mainly black dirt Packed and have hit silver dimes at over 7 inches The stock coil may get a tad deeper but not much in my soil but does cover more ground less overlapping but harder for me to swing long

I recently hunted an old school with the 5x8 and I pulled a walking liberty half dollar at 7+ inches. BUT compared to the stock coil, I felt like I had to go MAX sensitivity to achieve the same depths the stock hits at 2 off mox.

The 5x8 is fantastic in trashy areas. But if you are in a big area with a lot of space between targets, then the bigger coil the better.

I taped coins to a stick and waved the coins flat to the 5x8 coil on the AT Pro and I get good id at these distances. I can get another half inch to inch distance using the big coil. I would be interested in your results to this test. Occasionally I find dirt where I can id a coin at these depths but usually the air test is farther.
Dime 8.0"
Penny 8.5"
Nickel 8.5"
Quarter 9.5"

Wet soil I can sometimes get 8+ inches , but with bone dry ( very dry ) soil sometimes I am lucky if I can get 5 to 6 inches. I am learning that these DD coils can be finicky about soil moisture and/or composition.

Yesterday I was hunting a section of my local fairground where I was hunting this spring when the soil was wet and finding plenty of penny signals around 6 inches deep , some of them wheats. Now that the ground is bone dry , so dry dust comes up from it as I am digging , I dont seem to hit on ANY of those old deeper pennies , though with the decrease in depth I am getting a ton more shallower trash targets in the 2 to 4 range and they are easier to seperate and identify than they were when the soil was really wet....I imagine because the deeper targets werent bleeding through and masking as well dry as they did wet.

So hunt each site in both wet and dry soil conditions. I find many shallower targets when the soil is really dry that are masked out when the soil is really wet , and I find many deeper targets when its really wet that didnt seem to be in range when really dry.

Back
Top Bottom