Whites 6000/Di Professional auctioned for $12

CC_IN_CA

Someone got a sweet deal. Heck, they stole it!

6000_800.jpg

That's a very dated detector. The 6000 Di pro SL (with the "SL" as a suffix at the end) is still ok for today. Tell tale d/t it was black color (instead of blue), and had the 950 loop. It was good on the wet salt beach, for example. But the generation of your $12 machine, which was the blue box and the white buoyant looking loop, is rather dated.

That's a very dated detector. The 6000 Di pro SL (with the "SL" as a suffix at the end) is still ok for today. Tell tale d/t it was black color (instead of blue), and had the 950 loop. It was good on the wet salt beach, for example. But the generation of your $12 machine, which was the blue box and the white buoyant looking loop, is rather dated.

It has the same electronics as the SL. The form factor is cumbersome though.
It works extremely well. I owned one, and a dozen other detectors.

The "cannot be shipped" Excludes 99% of the potential buyers.

I did run a 6000 Di Pro for almost 10 years and made some pretty cool finds with it. That being said, just would not hold a candle to today machines in the realm of depth and separation.
Still worth the $12 and $5 "handling" if you were local to the seller.

I've used that same detector, and I was very surprised at its capabilities, I even found a mens gold wedding ring with it. My buddy let me use his while I let him try my explorer at the time. Ill tell ya, I guarantee that gold wouldn't have been found if I were using the explorer. Thats sometimes the downfall of having a VDI display. I find myself recently playing the numbers game too often. Shoot wish I knew that auction was happening, I would have paid 12.50$ for it :laughing:

It has the same electronics as the SL.....

Perhaps. I just know that once Whites evolved to the 950 loops (at which time the boxes were now painted black), that they got a bit better depth.

But sure: The prior generations of 6000D were also good for their era. And yes, $12 is a steal. Heck, you couldn't rent one for the day for that cheap ! haha

My first 'modern' detector was a Whites 6000 Di. I bought it when they first came out and I found a lot of coins with it, including silver coins. I only sold it so that I could buy a Teknetics 8500 which I still own. I have always regretted selling it.

My first 'modern' detector was a Whites 6000 Di. I bought it when they first came out ....

Those were the days, ahhhh. That would have been around 1980 or so, right ? The "i", in the "Di" was to denote they'd added on the depth indicator. But in all other ways was identical (if my memory serves me right) to the original 6000D (which came out in 1978).

The first guys to be swinging those in my area made a killing off of silver from the parks. Because they added an immediate inch or two to the depth that the prior generation of TR disc. guys were reaching. Either that, or they were simply covering ground 10x as fast d/t the fast swing required ! haha.

Looking back, in retrospect, it was mostly all mercs, roosies, washingtons, etc... But when you figure that silver reached 15 or 20x face in 1980, that wasn't a bad proposition. Minimum wage back then was something like ~$3.50 p/h. So it almost made sense to detect, rather than work. :roll:

But in all other ways was identical (if my memory serves me right) to the original 6000D (which came out in 1978).

The 6000Di had a target ID which the 6000 didn't. It was a heavy detector but i had it converted to a hip-mount from a kit sold at the time. i sold it to a friend who found a silver dime while trying it out and later a silver dollar, something that I have yet to find.

Back
Top Bottom