Cemetery Metal Detecting

Sundragon

Got a call from a buddy of mine over in Little Compton RI, saying he saw a couple of guys detecting a small very old cemetery on Cole Brook Rd. The car had Mass plates. Middle of the day in broad daylight right on the road.

Our hobby certainly doesn't benefit from the actions of morons who don't honor the code or frankly just don't give a darn.

Got a call from a buddy of mine over in Little Compton RI, saying he saw a couple of guys detecting a small very old cemetery on Cole Brook Rd. The car had Mass plates. Middle of the day in broad daylight right on the road.

Our hobby certainly doesn't benefit from the actions of morons who don't honor the code or frankly just don't give a darn.

Do keep in mind it could be a private cemetery and they could have had permission. I suspect the chances of that are small, but, still a chance.

It dont matter if its a private cemetary or not ,.....its not good. And cemetaries are not the honeyholes of good finds like some think they are so they will likely find very little if anything at all to show for their bad publicity.

It dont matter if its a private cemetary or not ,.....its not good. And cemetaries are not the honeyholes of good finds like some think they are so they will likely find very little if anything at all to show for their bad publicity.

Hey, I get it. It is a bad image all around, but, if it is a private cemetery and they have permission, they are not doing anything wrong. It isn't something I would do. What people see is going to be their one and only impression. GRAVE ROBBERS!

Possible (though unlikely) they could be looking for markers or otherwise hired/volunteered in an attempt to clean up or find something lost there. Just never know. Would be worth questioning thier motives to see if it's legit or not. If for personal gain then nicely explain how it's creates a bad image and hopefully they will understand and be on their way. Otherwise if they get belligerent wait for them to dig a really deep plug and bury them in it.

Could have also been some folks with weedeaters cleaning up the site. I've seen that happen, too. Looks like people metal detecting.

Skippy

And cemetaries are not the honeyholes of good finds like some think they are so they will likely find very little if anything at all to show for their bad publicity.

This sounds like a man who knows from experience..... :laughing::laughing:

No but really, I surely would not hunt a cemetery.

If it is private and they had permission or were providing a service I don't see an issue. I'd just keep to the shallow targets and a hand digger, not a shovel, lol.

OTOH they coulda just been Massholes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stay away from cemeteries, but have heard stories from old timers stating they hold a lot of goods. It was good luck to throw change over your shoulder or something like that. Back then, people believed this stuff. Just like they had certain medicines called "cures". They actually believed the medicine cured them of there health issues. I won't lie I've done some spots that abut cemeteries, but there's so many other places to go, just random woods can produce stuff. Just gotta get your coil over it. Happy hunting everyone!

Ps that IS a Masshole move :lol:

I was offered an opportunity to hunt a very old very large cemetery by a member of the board of directors. I initially said no but learned large parts are still undeveloped and there is an old caretakers cottage so I reconsidered. Permission has been granted but I haven't started yet. The man who offered this actually wants me to hunt around his father's grave. When I start I will stay along the pathways and the vacant areas.

I'm not sure the code of ethics even mentions cemeteries but either way you're welcome to your opinion but I have to say, not all religious sects feel the same as most about death, the afterlife and cemeteries. I have been asked to detect at least a dozen cemeteries. Sometimes when I kind of ignore the permission, request, they ask a second time. Sometimes they have been a little disappointed when I don't detect their cemetery. Maybe you don't need to be so rigid with this subject. This religious group has thousands of members all around the U.S. and are the nicest people to work with. Maybe you could consider that not everyone is as passionate as you are on the subject.

I detected a cemetery one time at the request of a family friend. His Dad passed away, and was buried with military honors. The son wanted the cartridges from the military salute, and they could not find one of them. He asked me to look for it with my detector, so I went back a week later and found it in some higher grass, and returned it to the family. I felt odd being there with a detector, even though it was a small cemetery out in the country. I was glad no one drove by while I was there, even though I felt I had a very good reason to be detecting it.

I don't detect cemeteries and never will just out of respect. I knew of someone in my hometown back in the 1980's who was detecting a cemetery in town . Someone saw him and called the police. They not only told him to leave but they confiscated his detector and he paid a fine to get it back. In the city of Hartford Conn. is a field where they held the circus every year so there's probably some good targets there but I'll never hunt it because in 1944 there was a fire and over 100 people lost their lives there.

This subject seems to come up here quite often.

How about this.

Use your own moral judgement.
If you can do it and live with yourself,,fine.
If you get caught and lose your detecting gear,,fine with me.

There are a lot of other places to detect.

And yes,,detecting in a cemetery could spark some of the local politicians,,and before you know it,,,they start passing city ordinances,etc and then you can't even hunt in the places where you should be able to.

We should all be good soldiers when it comes to detecting.
Remember your kids and grand kids and great grand kids just may want to detect some day.

They will need places to detect.
Don't spoil it for them.

In the city of Hartford Conn. is a field where they held the circus every year so there's probably some good targets there but I'll never hunt it because in 1944 there was a fire and over 100 people lost their lives there.

I wouldn't think that would be the same as hunting in a cemetery. You might even find some objects that could be returned too the families of those who died.

We can only speculate as to why they were there. You should have just jumped them when you had the chance.:laughing:

I wouldn't think that would be the same as hunting in a cemetery. You might even find some objects that could be returned too the families of those who died.
No, not the same as hunting a cemetery but I just don't want to hunt where so many people died that day. My girlfriend's father was a 17 year old kid and was at the circus that day but was one of the ones lucky enough to escape. Also, the area where the circus was held has been dedicated as a shrine of sorts.

Back
Top Bottom