Silver Hawk’s Civil War Relic Hunt

Silver Hawk

Elite Member
Hello all, I’m writing to you from our room for the night in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. We’ll stay here for the night, and get a least a few hours sleep and then make our way down into a town in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. There we’ll meet up with two other friends for breakfast and some coffee at a dinner before we hit our friend’s farm as well as the fields and wooded area for Civil War Relic Hunting.

I don’t have a very good wireless service here and I’ve lost my Internet Connection a few times already. Hope it will be better when we stay Friday & Saturday night. And if not in a “Dead Zone,” I’ll do my best to get online and report on our hunting. With some luck I’ll have some nice finds to report on.

The area we’ll be hunting is private property and was an active area during the civil war and saw fighting. There has been lots of relics found on the property by the owners without metal detectors and we know that nobody has hunted the property with detectors as of yet. So I’m very excited about our chances of making some nice finds.

I'll get back to you when I can and will post pictures of any finds, if not during the trip, then on Monday when I get back home.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Sounds like you have a well planned trip . Good Luck hope you find alot of good Civil War items will e watching for your post .

Harold

Relic Hunt Update:

We had a good first day on our relic hunt, and the weather was very nice as well. It was had comfortable over cast skies this morning, periods of sun this afternoon with a high temperature of 78 degrees F.

I got into some bullets and also recovered a musket ball and a few things that I have no idea as to just what they are. But I’ll have my friend check into them for me. Most of my bullets that I recovered are fired bullets. However, I was lucky enough to recover two dropped 3-ringers (Unfired) in excellent condition.

I pretty sure all of the bullets that I recovered so far are US .58 caliber minie-balls which were the standard issued size bullet used in the Civil War. The musket ball is a .69 caliber, and it’s a dropped round (Unfired).

On this trip I’m learning that I’m not a young as my heart thinks I am. My heart and mind, they keep telling me, “Let’s go, let’s go, this is fun, let’s do this all day,” but my knees and back disagree. And come mid-afternoon, they were screaming at me, “Hey, did you forget that you’re not 30 anymore!!!” ... :(

I did stop at a local pharmacy, got some Advil and big tube of Ultra Strength Bengay. … :lol:

The weather is supposed to be warmer and more humid tomorrow. So we’ll head out early, break for lunch and then back to our rooms and get washed up. Then we’ll go into town to catch a movie and get dinner. Afterwards we’ll put on our headlamps and head out for some nighttime hunting for a few hours, return to our rooms and get some rest for the drive home.

I don't think I'll be on later, and if not, I'll catch you all tomorrow. Right now we’re heading into town for a later dinner and some coffee. Then I probable take another hot shower, take some Advils and rub the Bengay on my sore knees and get some sleep because I'm hurting! ... :wow:

Pictures will be coming soon … ;)

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Oh man, I'm drooling already! Sounds like an incredible hunt to me! Wish I had some areas like that near me! Can't wait to see your pics! HH
NC

You must be having a wonderful time hunting for Civil War relics with your buddies! However, having an aching back and legs must put a dampener on it a bit. :( I hope you manage to find some interesting stuff tomorrow, and that your day will be relatively pain-free!

I can't wait to see your next update! :tumble:

Some great finds. Man can I relate to the back and knees. Ouch! :lol:

Yeah, I have knee pads and they help a lot and the weight on my knees is not really a problem because of the knee pads. However, the many trips down and back up again starts to get to me after a while. When I played ball I was a catcher/3rd baseman throughout most of my playing days, I played some hockey, football and used to run a lots, and all of it has taken its toll on my knees.

Back in the 1990s I was in an auto accident and was hunt on the job and I have three herniated disc in my low back and one in the neck. And there are days where it bothers me a great deal, but generally I can deal with it and just stay active.

Most of the time I find when metal detecting, if I hunt for a couple hours, then set for 15 minutes, then back up again for an hour’s or two I’m okay. But if I get carried away and don’t take breaks, I pay for it. But I don’t get down to Virginia as much as I would like and was really excited about the trip. Then when I started hitting those 3-Ringers I got really physced and wasn’t thinking about taking breaks at all.

Well, last night I paid for it…:roll:

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

You must be having a wonderful time hunting for Civil War relics with your buddies! However, having an aching back and legs must put a dampener on it a bit. :( I hope you manage to find some interesting stuff tomorrow, and that your day will be relatively pain-free!

I can't wait to see your next update! :tumble:

Thanks truebrit, even with the aching back & knees, I'm have a great time. Today I'm feeling a little better and will just try not to overdo it again.

We're done hunting for the day. Now we'll get something to eat for lunch and do some other things until nightfall. Then we’ll do some night-time hunting.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Was out this morning, I picked up a few more bullets, a button and few items I have to check into. My friends made some nice recoveries. We are getting mostly 3-Ringer Bullets, a few Musket Balls, two J-hooks; I got a small brass or copper ring the size of a small bracelet. We haven’t recover anything really big or of great significance/value as of yet. But I’m really happy with the bullets.

So far I’m out doing my friends with the number of recovered relics, and by a large margin. That’s something that usually doesn’t happen because these guys are pros when it comes to relic hunting. I usually do better than them when it comes to coin hunting, but not when it comes to relic hunting.

I just stopped back at my room to get a shower and put on some clean clothes and will be heading out to get some lunch. We were going to catch a movie but we all decided to take a drive up into Shenandoah National Park instead. We’ll ride Skyline Drive, hit the shops and visit the Visitors Center. And I just like always, I just have to see Big Meadows! ... :wow:

Well, I have to go. I’ll check back in later guys.

Everyone have a great day and “Happy Hunting” … ;)

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Hey guys,

We had some Thunder Storms move through tonight and because of it, no night-time hunt. Weather permitting we give it a go for a few hours early in the morning before leaving.

Take care and best wishes to all.

Silver Hawk

Well guys I’m back home now. We did get out for some night-time hunting on early Sunday Morning for a few hours from about 1:30AM and finished up at about 3:45AM before heading back to our rooms for a few hours sleep before the long drive home.

I ended up getting three more bullets, including one more unfired (dropped) bullet giving me a total of three for the trip to go along with a bunch of fired rounds. And I also recovered two more Musket Balls. All my bullets seem to be .58 Cal. 3-Ringers and the Musket Balls are .69 Cal. rounds.

I’ll been cleaning up my finds over the next day or so and take some pictures of the items. Afterwards I will download my digital images and post them on this thread. I’ll post some pictures of my finds taken in the field as well as some pictures of them after being cleaned up.

While some of my items are soaking, I think I’ll take my MXT out to the Park and Soccer Field that I’ve been doing so well at before my trip. We had some storms last night and I should have some really good ground as a result of the rain.

Happy Hunting to all … ;)

PS.

I had more finds then my friends!!! ... :biggrin:

Yes, I'm proud. It's something that doesn't happen often when it comes to relic hunting ... :wow:

It would seem that the "Silver Hawk" is an opportunistic feeder and is well adapted to a changing environment, preying or gold & relics as well as silver according to availability. ... :p

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

While some of my items are soaking, I think I’ll take my MXT out to the Park and Soccer Field that I’ve been doing so well at before my trip. We had some storms last night and I should have some really good ground as a result of the rain.

Now that is dedication, I am impressed.

I had more finds then my friends!!! ... :biggrin:

Nothing wrong with healthy competition :lol:

Yes, I'm proud. It's something that doesn't happen often when it comes to relic hunting ... :wow:

And you should be, great hunt!

It would seem that the "Silver Hawk" is an opportunistic feeder and is well adapted to a changing environment, preying or gold & relics as well as silver according to availability. ... :p
:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the thread, I enjoyed reading it. Looking forward to the pictures.

Glad ya'll made it back home safe and sound, man what a great trip. Will be waiting for the pics and thanks for sharing with us.

Back
Top Bottom