Ace 250 or 350

Yanks48

Im thinking about geting the Ace 250 from what I understand it works just about the same as the 350. Can someone shine some light on what makes them different. Also is the 250 good on the beach?

They are about the same. I do know that the ace350 run 8.25khz and come with DD coil. Ace250 run on 6.5khz. Contact Bart at Bigboys hobbies he is a sponsor on here who can help you get the right price.

They are about the same. I do know that the ace350 run 8.25khz and come with DD coil. Ace250 run on 6.5khz. Contact Bart at Bigboys hobbies he is a sponsor on here who can help you get the right price.

The 350 also has enhanced iron resolution.......

Dusty

If you have the budget, get the 350... I have a 250 and it works great on the beach, wet or dry regardless of what some on the forums will tell you. I recently began to question how the coils differed between the stock 6.5x9 on the 250 Vs the DD coil on the 250. Another MDist told me that the coil change would change the freq of my MD. Here is what Brad at Garrett tech support told me:

"Good morning Mike,

The information that the detectorist gave you is not true at all. Changing the coil on your detector does not change the operating frequency. That is why certain coils work on certain detectors, because the coils are tuned to a certain frequency. For example you can’t put a GTP1350 coil on a ACE 250 even though they have the same connector. The reason being is because they operate at a different frequency. So if you change the stock 6.5x9” ACE coil to the 8.5x11” DD ACE Coil then your new coil will work the same as your other coil as far picking up targets and reading them. Now the DD coil will work better in higher mineralization like at the beach or other areas where there is moderate to high mineralization in the ground."

And I have seen a difference between the 2 coils, the DD coil sure does work better (the stock coil on the 250 is no slouch either and has it's place also).

So, with the 350 you get the DD coil, better iron discrim as I understand it and I think more notches. If you can't afford the 350, get the 250 and then down the road add the DD coil as I did. No matter how you go, you can't go wrong.

BTW, at the beach in the wet sand and surf I notch out nickels and everything lower. I still find a lot of clad and even found a small lady's 925 ring at 6" deep.

The DD coil on a 250 is like a brick on a stick, I've wondered if it's the same with the 350?

I'd love to. But I can't see spending that much money on my first Detector.

IMHO if you can swing the $$$ do it, I could not imagine not having the AT Pro from the start I have found it very easy to use and am getting some very deep targets to include gold. ;) but as you will hear get what you can afford and what you fell will suit you best. I am saying I am very glad I went with my gut feeling and chose the AT Pro over the 350. Good Luck to ya!

If you have the budget, get the 350... I have a 250 and it works great on the beach, wet or dry regardless of what some on the forums will tell you. I recently began to question how the coils differed between the stock 6.5x9 on the 250 Vs the DD coil on the 250. Another MDist told me that the coil change would change the freq of my MD. Here is what Brad at Garrett tech support told me:

"Good morning Mike,

The information that the detectorist gave you is not true at all. Changing the coil on your detector does not change the operating frequency. That is why certain coils work on certain detectors, because the coils are tuned to a certain frequency. For example you can’t put a GTP1350 coil on a ACE 250 even though they have the same connector. The reason being is because they operate at a different frequency. So if you change the stock 6.5x9” ACE coil to the 8.5x11” DD ACE Coil then your new coil will work the same as your other coil as far picking up targets and reading them. Now the DD coil will work better in higher mineralization like at the beach or other areas where there is moderate to high mineralization in the ground."

And I have seen a difference between the 2 coils, the DD coil sure does work better (the stock coil on the 250 is no slouch either and has it's place also).

So, with the 350 you get the DD coil, better iron discrim as I understand it and I think more notches. If you can't afford the 350, get the 250 and then down the road add the DD coil as I did. No matter how you go, you can't go wrong.

BTW, at the beach in the wet sand and surf I notch out nickels and everything lower. I still find a lot of clad and even found a small lady's 925 ring at 6" deep.

Thanks Man. The tech support really helped. I'll probably go with the 250 after this.

ACE 250/350 are not good on wet sand (saltwater) beaches. Save your money. I know, I owned one.

Hi there, Highcap, you are not completely correct (at least from my experience) about the 250 and wet sand. It isn't a dedicated water machine and on more mineralized beaches it may well not be desirable. BUT here on the salt water beaches on Gulf Coast of NW Florida mine works quite well indeed! I have found clad, jewelry, and lead fishing weights (which I keep) as deep as 6 inches in both wet sand and surf.

00aaa WELCOME.jpg

04032011 e.jpg
This is a drainage channel from a pond to the Gulf, brackish water. I found a pocket spill (1 quarter, 2 nickels, 1 dime and a couple of pennies) in this hole - if I remember correctly - under 8 inches of water and 2 inches of sand.

HB Miller beach.jpg
A "bird's eye view" of the channel... as you can see, gulf water flows into this channel.

05032011B.jpg
A quarter I detected while in the surf, with the waves washing over the coil. The MD said "quarter" and the depth read 6 inches. Could not pinpoint using the PP button, that is the one thing the ACE does not do very well on wet sand, but was able to get close enough with swings from 2 directions.

wet sand ace.jpg

And all of these were BEFORE I put the DD coil on. Since then I've found more clad and a ring.

So is the ACE ideal for wet sand? NO. Will it work acceptably well in the wet sand? WITHOUT A DOUBT!!

The ace 250 is a decent starter detector , if you can afford the 350 its got a little more to offer. I can understand not wanting to drop enough moey on the hobby to get the ATpro , on the other hand if you plan to really get into the hobby for the long haul , you would probably be happier with a detector that you didnt outgrow for a while. Its a tough choice to make when money is an issue but if I had the opportunity , I would have rather skipped over the ace and started out with the AT , that way I wouldnt be looking to upgrade already.

The ace 350 is hotter and deeper machine. Has a better coil on it. Much improved iron handeling also. Holler at me if you have more questions or need better pricing options. thanks, bart

Hi there, Highcap, you are not completely correct (at least from my experience) about the 250 and wet sand. It isn't a dedicated water machine and on more mineralized beaches it may well not be desirable.

Yes, I should have added that it is useless on beaches with a lot of black sand, ALA Southern California. Other clean beaches should be fine.

I loved my Ace 250 and found over $700 worth of jewelry with it along with a couple of hundred in clad.

You can't beat it for the money.

I went with the 250, just to try things out, if I find a lot of stuff and decide to get more deeply involved in this hobby then I guess I will go with a better detector :) Should be getting my 250 tomorrow, I am excited :)

What would you guys recommend as the better detector for the long run. Ace 250 or 350. Because I know if I do get one it will be the only one for a while. Don't have the funds for the high end stuff or to go and have backups and backups for backup detectors.

I do not know this as a fact but have read on the forums that the biggest complaint about the 350 is the coil, they say it is poor quality.

I do not know this as a fact but have read on the forums that the biggest complaint about the 350 is the coil, they say it is poor quality.

i believe the 350 and the AT pro run the same 8.5x11 dd coil (just different connections)

i believe the 350 and the AT pro run the same 8.5x11 dd coil (just different connections)

I don't know if they are the same but both are 8.5x11 DD. Connector is different between the 350 and the ATP. I have the same DD coil I've added to my 250 as the 350 has and it made a big improvement!

Back
Top Bottom