Night shift in Japan

18kRonin

Forum Supporter
Had a real low tide around midnight so decided to do my first full on night hunt.
Got to the beach with a full moon, mild and calm and started swinging around 9pm and within 5mins had my first silver ring for the night and it just didn't stop, kept on pulling up silver till around 4am I was so blown away that I didn't stop for a break I had silver fever. Only stopped hunting when the tide came too far up the beach.
Hunted in all metal mode with my Excal II to get more depth as most of my finds were just a little too deep for discrim mode to pick up.
I'm use to digging a lot of trash but this night I was getting around 4 keepers to 2 of trash with only 5 pull tabs for the whole night. In total I got 10,383 yen/$130 US in clad, 24 silver rings , a Kennedy 1964 D silver half dollar that had been made into some sort of badge, a badly encrusted with rust Rolex watch (sorry cleaned most of the rust off before taking its photo, the rust was 3mm thick over all the metal casing) which started running while I was cleaning it and is still running a day later. So maybe it's the real deal just badly beaten up by a few years in the sea.
And a silver chain and silver pendents.
The last photo is of a large silver chain, silver bracelet, large silver cross and above and to the right of the cross is another silver pendent bringing the total silver weight for the night to 403g/14.2 oz with some junk finds from the same hunt.
I have no idea how I'm going to top this hunt:lol3:

Attachments

• Picture-md9.1.jpg
    Picture-md9.1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,436
  • Picture-md9.2.jpg
    Picture-md9.2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,852
  • Picture-md9.jpg
    Picture-md9.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,851
Last edited:
What with all those rings I would have thought you would have gotten at least a one gold one!!:D

Awestruck

started running while I was cleaning it and is still running a day later.

WOW!! Aside from the ring count the fact that the watch is still running is amazing! You should contact the Rolex people. They might exchange it for a new model in exchange for your story.

You should contact the Rolex people. They might exchange it for a new model in exchange for your story.

This is actually a good idea; some companies do such things as the advertising they can get out of such a story is worth much more to them than a new watch. In other cases companies are interested in taking the thing apart and seeing how it actually held up under such conditions. Give it a go! :yes:

that's just crazy!! way to go.

i think if you hunted the same beach as me and got a result like that i'd give up detecting :lol:

SUGOI!
amazing silver total!
the low tide line you hunted should be real "virgin".
congrats!

I'd say there's a very good chance that watch is real because it has obviously been in the water for some time, and back then there was a lot less quality fakes like there is today.

You should post it here. They can confirm it's authentic, or at least tell you what to look for, plus they'll love the story. (They're as crazy about watches as we are detecting - I just like watches, and am a member)

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/

This is actually a good idea; some companies do such things as the advertising they can get out of such a story is worth much more to them than a new watch. In other cases companies are interested in taking the thing apart and seeing how it actually held up under such conditions. Give it a go! :yes:

Nope, will never happen for one reason, and that is water resistance isn't a huge selling point in luxury watches. It's not uncommon to see a $10,000 watch with the same resistance as a $100 one... that's just the way it goes. Rolex does make dive watches, like the Seadweller, but even if it had been one of those the company would simply say that is what they and their customers expect. Given the depth rating on any quality dive watch they should last for some time in shallow water. All that having been said, it's still cool to find a watch that still works after so long!

I'd say there's a very good chance that watch is real because it has obviously been in the water for some time, and back then there was a lot less quality fakes like there is today.

You should post it here. They can confirm it's authentic, or at least tell you what to look for, plus they'll love the story. (They're as crazy about watches as we are detecting - I just like watches, and am a member)

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/

Thanks for the info Iron Patch, I hope your right about it being real.
I've just posted a request for info on my find on watchseek.com

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/rolex-explorer-found-after-years-seawater-475011-post3493330.html

Thanks for the info Iron Patch, I hope your right about it being real.
I've just posted a request for info on my find on watchseek.com

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/rolex-explorer-found-after-years-seawater-475011-post3493330.html

Hmmm.... doesn't look good by the first replies, but just like we can usually pick out fake coins right away, many of those guys can do the same thing with watches. That said it's very surprising a fake could survive in the water long enough to get very rusty but still work.

If the consensus say fake you can be sure it is.

Back
Top Bottom