MXT and small gold -- Just a whisper and VDI wouldn't lock

Rudy

Admin
Had a chance to go out tot lot hunting last Sunday for a few hours.
Went to a different area of the city, hoping to find something as the
areas I usually hunt have not been very good lately.

Well let me tell you, the tot lots I went to had been pounded hard!
Hardly any targets except for some zilcons down at 7 - 9 inches. :(

As I was ready to go home in disgust, I got this very faint whisper.
So faint I almost missed it. I took several passes and the VDI would
read between -1 and +4 and wouldn't give me a reapeatable reading.

Went to pinpoint mode and I couldn't get a reading the first two times!
Whatever this was, it was small!

I finally got a VCO signal, but no depth indicated. Wow, new one for me and my MXT.

The VCO pinpoint was extremely tight. If my 6X9 DD didn't go over the center while,
pin pointing, I would get no VCO sound at all.

Putting the clues together:
From the faint whisper in Disc mode, I reasoned that it was either a very deep target,
or a very small low conductive target (ergo the -1 to +4 VDI).

From the all-metal pin point mode I deduced it wasn't ferrous as it pinpointed very tight,
whereas ferrous objects tend to have a broader signature in pin point mode.

The lack of depth indication told me that rather than being a deep coin sized target, this
could very well be a very small and shallow one. Could be a tiny foil piece, or it could be
that elusive yellow metal we all like to find. ::)

So, I carefully started moving the tan bark and down about 1" I found the remains of a
very fine 14K chain and clasp. The whole thing is about 4" long and the finest (thinnest)
chain I've ever seen. It weights in at 0.7 grams and is made in Italy.

I reckon the signal I was able to get was mostly all coming from the clasp itself.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the rest of the chain or a possible medal. I figure that when it
broke, this little piece fell off and the remainder went inside the person's shirt.

Key take aways:

When looking for gold, keep you discrimination low or you'll miss the small gold items.

Run the MXT as "hot" as possible, while still having a stable threshold or you'll miss
the whispers. In this instance, I had my MXT set at around 9.5.

The small gold pieces put out a very faint signal. If your coil's "sweet spot" doesn't go
over the target, You'll likely miss it. Overlap your sweeps, even with a DD coil.

Small gold items can produce low negative VDI numbers. If it pin points tightly, don't
assume it is ferrous and move on.

When the signal is faint, the VDI reading will not lock, so take the VDI reading as just
one of several indicators.

Be prepared to dig lots of foil. ;)

Attachments

• 14KchainIT.jpg
    14KchainIT.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 858
  • 14Kchain4in.jpg
    14Kchain4in.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 834
Big Thanks Rudy. Some great info. I had a similar experience with my first Buff a while back that was a real eye and ear opener. It started as a bouncy VDI in the pulltab range with weak but sweet audio. After removing a plug I rescanned and got a hot rock (+94 VDI). I almost quit then but kept digging and found the Buff at about 5 ". Being confused at that point I put the coin back in the bottom of the hole, put an inch or so of dirt back over it and attempted to clear up the VDI issue. Nothing! Except a weak zipping sound that I have learned to start listening for.

mxtswinger said:
I almost quit then but kept digging and found the Buff at about 5 ". Being confused at that point I put the coin back in the bottom of the hole, put an inch or so of dirt back over it and attempted to clear up the VDI issue. Nothing! Except a weak zipping sound that I have learned to start listening for.

If I read this correctly...you barely got a responce at 5"?

I didn't measure, but yes 5-6" would be a good estimate. I was puzzled at first, but after considering all the junk I had dug in the area I chalked it up to masking from nearby iron sediment or coal.

Hi Bentfork, yes I made that post sometime ago, but the tips are good ones to keep in mind when looking for gold, no matter what VLF detector is being used.

Carol, I can't believe you have an MXT yet keep it in the closet. :) Is there anything better than an MXT? :D

I get quite a few of those whisper signals that are sometimes very difficult to get a good VDI on. I learned such as you that readings can be mis-leading and the best policy is to dig them. I get quite a few of those each time I hit one particular park in my area. Frequently they are very small bits of foil, but occasionally I'm surprised to find an earring or stud.

I'll tell a story about a find I had about a month ago. In this one particular park which I have hunted to death, there was a target that Ive hit dozens of times with the same readings. It always was in the same spot, same depth and VDI too. The reason I passed over it everytime was becasue the readings told my brain it was a piece of foil at 4 inches. Trash runs deep in this park. Well, this one day that I was there, I passed over it knowing it was still there, but I was using my DD instead of my Bigfoot this time. Instead of a VDI that varied as I passed over it, this time it was rock solid 10 every which way I swung. This changed me mind immediately and I dug it. It was the 10K ring I posted before the hostile takeover. It's the horseshoe faced shaped gold ring in this picture. So folks, dig it all.

rings.JPG

Back
Top Bottom