How do you save arial photographs

40acre1870

Forum Supporter
I was looking at some plat maps from 1879 last night and then. Bingo!

I found farm field that is about 4 miles from my house that had a school there. It is on the 1879, 1897 & 1919 plat maps. I do not know the history of the school, but I know it was there.

To top it off... across the road there were five houses all within a half mile that is now all farm land.

I know who farms it and I know them well. Their uncle who passed away last year at the age of 89 was my neighbor and they took over his farm. These guys could be a wealth of imformation as they own and farm more land in my county than anyone else. They farm the land to the west, the east and the north of me, so I am always talking to them, but I have never talked about metal detecting.

I would like to have arial photos in hand when I speak to them about certain fields in the area. I see people on here who can post a map on the forum where thay have circled locations on the map, but I am unfortunately not up to speed.

Sorry if this sounds confusing as I am confused myself.

Thanks

Mike

Right click the map, then select save as. Then save it where you want it. (Assuming you are using Windows)

Probably the easiest way is to right click and save but if the site has the maps for sale, that feature is most likely disabled.

Your county records clerk should have the maps (and most likely the ones who posted them online) and they can probably photocopy the portion(s) of the maps for a couple dollars.

Right click the map, then select save as. Then save it where you want it. (Assuming you are using Windows)

I think we have a misunderstanding....

We have all seen arial photos on here where someone has saved and asked everyone to tell them what the best location to hunt is.

I am not trying to save the old plat maps that i find online. I am trying to save the arial up to date photos.

I understand the concept of right click save, but when I right click it gives me these options.

add a pushpin
directions from here
directions to here... etc

I use a program that can capture any image or video for free and save it wherever you need. It is called Jing

Attachments

• Demo_image.jpg
    Demo_image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 112
1876 plat map view vs current view of old school.

Thanks for everyones help. Now if I could figure out how to crop photos.

Attachments

• old school.jpg
    old school.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 105
  • old school 2.jpg
    old school 2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 101
Yep that's what I do. Hit F11 to widen my frame on windows to full screen, hit printscreen and paste it to PowerPoint and edit from there, cropping included under the picture editing tab on windows, and add all the "sh!ts and giggles" as I go. Easy to do. Once I have all on there I save it as a jpg image and there you go. I'll try to do a vid for you on how to.

if you have google earth you can take that plat map and over lay it on the google map

really neat feature of google earth, just make sure you have the updated version

thats an 1895 plat over a 2010 google and thats my cellar hole just over the R in Ferguson, the wight box is the real location of the cemetery

the school is gone, the rail road the runs east/west is gone

things will not line up exactly, but close

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom