Vaquero recovery time...and an F2 questionn

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
It cooled off a little last night after a much needed rainstorm so I went to a little park close by for a couple of hours.

Not a whole lot found at this site but clad so far but it is still fun because I am still learning about my Vaq and this place has tot lots, gravel and grassy areas so it is a good practice site.

So I was swinging and walking and I came across something that I did not hear before except in my living room when I throw coins on the floor.

It was a rapid blip blip blip blip blip and I thought it might be a little coin spill.

Turns out I was correct and I ended up digging 4 pennies and a dime at about 2 inches depth and from an area about 1 1/2 feet wide and they were lined up along a band about 4-5 inches wide.

I read that Tesoros have a rapid recovery time but this was just amazing!
A couple of coins were within 3-4 inches from each other and my detector picked them all up every time and from every angle.
I just LOVE my vaq and this is just another reason why.

So now I have a question.
In September I am going back home to Michigan for a week and I really want to do some dirt fishin' so I am probably going to get another detector (cheapie) as a backup to break down and take on these little trips and just as a change of pace to use back at home from time to time.
I want a VDI on this one so Tesoro is not in the running.
Neither are Bounty Hunters for other reasons.

An ace 250 is probably a good choice so I can see what all the hoopla is about and I hope I can stand the noise.
Maybe an F2 is a possibility, especially if I can find someone that still has the 2 coil deal for $200.

The question is I know recovery on the 250 is not great but I was wondering about the F2.
If you have used this one, tell me your thoughts on depth, recovery time and anything else you might have.
If anyone else has a suggestion on a decent $200 or under unit, please chime in.

Keep in mind the recovery thing is not really important as I can learn to swing as slow or as fast as necessary for whatever I get.
I am not a speed demon when I hunt. It is more about relaxing and the Zen of the experience, anyway.

I would like to be able to get at least 5-6 inches depth or so (in good soil) and the ability to identify some decent targets if I am lucky enough to swing my coil over them.

Used is a possibility (I would love to find a deal on an Xterra 305), but $100-$200 range is about my limit on a "traveling" detector.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Gotta luv them Tesoro's & the Vaquero is no exception. I have owned and used two different F2's, in my opinion they better than the Ace 250. The F2 has a lightning quick recovery speed gets good depth and fairly accurate meter. You should be able to find the 2 coils F2 deal for $200.00

It cooled off a little last night after a much needed rainstorm so I went to a little park close by for a couple of hours.

Not a whole lot found at this site but clad so far but it is still fun because I am still learning about my Vaq and this place has tot lots, gravel and grassy areas so it is a good practice site.

So I was swinging and walking and I came across something that I did not hear before except in my living room when I throw coins on the floor.

It was a rapid blip blip blip blip blip and I thought it might be a little coin spill.

Turns out I was correct and I ended up digging 4 pennies and a dime at about 2 inches depth and from an area about 1 1/2 feet wide and they were lined up along a band about 4-5 inches wide.

I read that Tesoros have some rapid recovery but this was just amazing!
A couple of coins were within 3-4 inches from each other and my detector picked them all up every time and from every angle.
I just LOVE my vaq and this is just another reason why.

So now I have a question.
In September I am going back home to Michigan for a week and I really want to do some dirt fishin' so I am probably going to get another detector (cheapie) as a backup to break down and take on these little trips and just as a change of pace to use back at home from time to time.
I want a VDI on this one so Tesoro is not in the running.
Neither are Bounty Hunters for other reasons.

An ace 250 is probably a good choice so I can see what all the hoopla is about and I hope I can stand the noise.
Maybe an F2 is a possibility, especially if I can find someone that still has the 2 coil deal for $200.

The question is I know recovery on the 250 is not great but I was wondering about the F2.
If you have used this one, tell me your thoughts on depth, recovery time and anything else you might have.
If anyone else has a suggestion on a decent $200 or under unit, please chime in.

Keep in mind the recovery thing is not really important as I can learn to swing as slow or as fast as necessary for whatever I get.
I am not a speed demon when I hunt. It is more about relaxing and the Zen of the experience, anyway.

I would like to be able to get at least 5-6 inches depth or so (in good soil) and the ability to identify some decent targets if I am lucky enough to swing my coil over them.

Used is a possibility (I would love to find a deal on an Xterra 305), but $100-$200 range is about my limit on a "traveling" detector.

Thanks in advance for any input.

If you have to have a meter, get the F2. If Fisher pushed the F2 like Garrett pushes the Ace, it would be the top selling machine. Garrett can't give away their other detectors so they've decided to put all their eggs in the Ace basket and push it like crazy. This has worked very well for them.

That said, I feel Fisher is far superior as a make, so their low-end detector should be about as good as a cheap machine can be. Honestly, I've never used one but do own an F-75, and in the past many other Fishers. All were first rate. Not so the Garrett line. Every Garrett I've handled was awful in numerous ways. The Ace is at least workable if you have not experienced anything better.

For you to go from your Vaquero to an Ace 250 will be very frustrating. Very, very frustrating.

My first Tesoro was, and is, a Vaquero. Only the Cibola has proven a slightly deeper choice and that's in my soil. Other areas would probably benefit from the Vaq's ground balance option. I don't need it.

For what you want I'd live without the VDI and get a Compadre or Silvermax as a backup. Both do good work and will not drive you insane with their incessant, dropped-draw-of-silverware racket which is the 250. Plus the guarantee is the best there is.

OT

I

For what you want I'd live without the VDI and get a Compadre or Silvermax as a backup. Both do good work and will not drive you insane with their incessant, dropped-draw-of-silverware racket which is the 250. Plus the guarantee is the best there is.

OT

I agree 100% but I have a hankering for a decent VDI unit just for a change and in case I can ever get the girlfriend to go hunt with me or for other "guest hunters".

Make no mistake...I am a Tesoro guy, I don't really need a VDI, and every time I go out with my Vaq
the way it performs just reinforces that opinion.

Thanks!

Then get that F2. If I can turn one person from an Ace 250, if I can save just one child.......my life will have meant something.

OT

Then get that F2. If I can turn one person from an Ace 250, if I can save just one child.......my life will have meant something.

OT
Holy cow OT I thought I was bad. :lol:

Attachments

• 29343-royalty-free-cartoon-clip-art-of-an-ace-of-spades-playing-card-with-text-reading-aces-high.jpg
    29343-royalty-free-cartoon-clip-art-of-an-ace-of-spades-playing-card-with-text-reading-aces-high.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 462

As I've used my machine more and more, I've learned the Vaq pretty well. I had one time when there was a silver dime and copper penny in the same hole, and I heard both independently- one soft, one loud signal, both independent of each other. I sort of heard them in 3d, for lack of a better description. I knew there were two coins before pulling the plug, and was careful not to damage them in recovery. Good thing, too, it was my first silver coin. It's very hard to put into words how a "beep dig" machine can be understood after you've used it for awhile, even though it has one "tone", the variations of that tone are infinite, in a way. I've found 3 coins in one hole and heard them all before digging, as well.

I've pulled a dime one time that had a pulltab stuck to it, even though I had the disc set above pulltabs at that particular site. Common sense says the machine should have "target masked" on that coin, but the Vaquero still saw the dime, while ignoring the tab. Pretty awesome. It takes effort and dilligence to learn the machine, but it's worth it to me!

As I said, I just love my Vaq!
Still working on becoming "one with my machine" but getting closer and closer on every hunt.

I thought learning the language of this machine and becoming great with it would take some time but it would be challenging and fun,too.

I was right about both.

I am looking forward to the day I can do what you can do with this wonderful machine.

HH

Holy cow OT I thought I was bad. :lol:

You are BAD !!!:lol: But you guys made me feel much better about buying a new F2 to use as my "fun" machine. It will be my "go to" detector for tot lots, beach and short hunts close to home. I tried one for about a week and fell in love with it.:D

Find yourself a used Tesoro DeLeon, for about $250. You get the meter you want, a unit you will be basically familiar with (and the TID is easy to learn), and a recovery speed almost as fast as the Vaq.

Where are you going to be here in the mitten? I'd be happy to loan you an F2 and any (or all) of the three concentric coils for the duration of your stay, if you're not going to be too far away. PM me if interested.

Back
Top Bottom