does surf detecting attract sharks?

fulkne12

seing how theay have sensitive nuroscensors that detect magnetic scources?does any 1n have encounter story?sharks/rays other attracted marinelife?JELLYFISH!?

Some say the electrical pulse the detector puts out imitates the electrical signal of a wounded fish but it hasn't been proven as far as I know... I've heard stories about sharks coming in but they were probably curious... I have had bluefish and striper's approach me and swim through my legs and that gives you enough thrill as it is especially while you're thinking about sharks lol...

"I have had bluefish and striper's approach me and swim through my legs and that gives you enough thrill as it is especially while you're thinking about sharks lol..."
Now that in itself would be enough to make me mess my knickers. :?: :shock: :(

hoser said:
"I have had bluefish and striper's approach me and swim through my legs and that gives you enough thrill as it is especially while you're thinking about sharks lol..."
Now that in itself would be enough to make me mess my knickers. :?: :shock: :(

It was a cheap thrill :lol:

went into the water today didnt go beyond my waist but several scenes frome jaws kept poping in my mind.2 good hits but just gearing up for waterdogging the surf(i dont have any scoups yet)long sugar sand beach,also have down the way a cragier beach with lots of rocks which in my opinyon would be more dubious for sharks because of the dropoffs right offshore.but the rocks would catch alot more loot i would think.

fulkne12

They say to be wary when the water is murky and not to water hunt at night or early morning when the sun is just coming up. I know I don't like hunting in the water when its murky because all sorts of things go through ones mind when you can't see the bottom. I've caught sharks in Long Island Sound up to 275 pounds so I know they are out there. I remember one day fishing for Striped bass and I was reeling one in and it jumped about 25 yards off my boat and then dove suddenly and all of a sudden my line pulled then went limp and I reeled in thinking I lost my striper but when the line came close to the boat all I had left was a head so something big was hungry and I was upset I lost my dinner :)

I sure am glad I don't hunt that salt water. never know whats lurking around in that murky water. They say though "The devil you know is better then the devil you don't know" I would rather hunt with my devil. Craig, cmon down for a spin through Florida's fresh water lakes.
................................Gil.......................................................

Attachments

• alligator.jpg
    alligator.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 788
grinsebring said:
I sure am glad I don't hunt that salt water. never know whats lurking around in that murky water. They say though "The devil you know is better then the devil you don't know" I would rather hunt with my devil. Craig, cmon down for a spin through Florida's fresh water lakes.
................................Gil.......................................................

Gil

I think I would rather take my chances with a shark than a gator... :D

yea I had a bunch of rays show up a few weeks back, then a couple of hours later a 6 ft shark got about 30' from me an I was in knee water, but I dont think the detector had anything to do with this. the rays would come up to you evrytime you would start digging an I am sure the shark show up because of all the rays.I guess you could blame it on the detector, it found the target an made me dig an that started the chain reaction

Attachments

• sting ray  resize.jpg
    sting ray resize.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 812
Was you using a shiny scoop? Sharks are attracted to shiny stuff.

When we were in Florida we noticed this sign.

Attachments

• bonitabeachsign.jpg
    bonitabeachsign.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 850
:lol: The closest I have ever came to a shark is my lawyer, when he bites you will feel it in the bank account. :lol:

I must be off! :spin:

I have been using a White's PI since 1995. In that time I have noticed that fish do seem attracted to my coil - have had fresh and salt water fish drawn in by it. I have shut my machine off and they leave - turn back on and they come back - some hang around. Then some types hang around when I scoop or fan to get little bits of edibles. I do believe the pulse does attract them - I have a couple of fresh water spots that I have pulled some very large bass in - wished I had a spear gun. No sharks yet. I did meet a guy a few years back that said he was using a PI on gulf coast and was using a long handled scoop. He said a bunch of people were yelling from shore and then a life guard ran down where he was and started pointing and yelling - he said as he was removing his headphones to ask what the prob was - something ripped his scoop from his hand. After soiling himself - he quickly got out of the water. He was told that from what they could judge by the distance from tail to dorsal fin that it was about a 10 footer. He never saw his scoop again and he told me he moved up to CT. and has never water detected since. Was it the pulse or just the lure of the shinny scoop - who knows??

hoser said:
I had a three foot Pike swim between my legs once. Don't tell me man can't walk on water :shock: :lol:

Reminds me when I was flyfishing a still water pond and a snapping turtle's head (the size of a beer can) came up right in front of me. I don't think I have to describe the exact location of the turtle's head... Next thing I knew I was on dry ground. :lol:

If I had even had the slightest interest in going in the water after reading all these posts there is NO WAY IN HADES! :shock: :shock:
IF I CANNOT SEE WHERE I AM WALKING, I DON'T GO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Casper said:
I have been using a White's PI since 1995. In that time I have noticed that fish do seem attracted to my coil - have had fresh and salt water fish drawn in by it. I have shut my machine off and they leave - turn back on and they come back - some hang around. Then some types hang around when I scoop or fan to get little bits of edibles. I do believe the pulse does attract them - I have a couple of fresh water spots that I have pulled some very large bass in - wished I had a spear gun. Was it the pulse or just the lure of the shinny scoop - who knows??

Fish are coming close to shore to feed themselfe on every high-rise - The sharks are following the big steams of fish for the same reason.
Catching diner while enjoiing your hobby is a great use of time - but DON'T use a speargun if you are fishing in shark-areas and you intend to stay in the water - the sharks can smell the blood miles away, and you dont want to smell like a tasty fish when they arrive! - Use a fishing net, and make sure that your catch get's out of the water asap - just to be on the safe side.

Have fun fishing and MD'ing

You have a good idea there - i'll bring my net the next time just in case something which looks like diner get's too close to me :))

I was in Daytona about a week ago and I heard a kid (who was fishing) yelling at me. I pulled off my headphones to see why he was so excited and he was yelling watch out. I turned around to see a large jelly fish drifting towards me about 3 feet away. I guess the old saying, "never turn your back on the ocean" was something I needed to be reminded of.

I think I will stick to land detecting after reading of all the pleasures of beach detecting :lol: Heck walk on water, I'd try to fly.

my 1st find on the beach was silver....i about jumped out of my pants and said holy cow jewked my hand down to grab the shiny object and felt a shark stink and said wow something got me rreal good.turns out the silver or white gold necklace was a heavy duity leader with a very large hook that buried very deep in my thumb!i almost lost it right there on the beach,any way so far no gold no silver and 1n sore thumb however i did find some brass are old copper ships nails worth anything?

Back
Top Bottom