Last Hunt of 2022 Finds a Buff Nickel and Wheat

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
It's hard to believe that it's the end of 2022. The year seemed to fly by. Even harder to believe that I would actually be able to metal detect on the last day of December in New York. However, the weather cooperated, and we've had really mild temperatures for the last few days, unseasonably warm in the 40s and low 50s.

I had a chance to get out for a couple hours. I went to an old park that has been hunted for decades, but it still produces a decent coin now and then. I didn't find many coins today - only a total of five - but two of them were keepers, even tho they are in really rough shape.

The ground ran the range from rock hard in open areas, to dig-able with effort in areas directly under the pine trees. I found a really crusty 1947 wheatie in the roots of one pine tree, and later, with about 15 minutes remaining to detect, I came across a very rough Buffalo Nickel. It's only got a partial date - 193X. The front is in worse shape than the back. I tried cleaning it up as best I could given the damage to it, but further cleaning is just removing what little detail remains on the coin.

I also found a couple lincolns and a 1960 Jeff.

I'm really excited about the finds for today simply because I was so happy to be able to get out on the last day of the year, and I'm always positive when I find a decent coin like a Buff Nickel.

Legend settings Park, M1, Recovery 5, IF 4, ST 4.

Happy New Year everyone!

Attachments

• 193X Buff Nickel in Dirt 31 Dec 22.jpg
    193X Buff Nickel in Dirt 31 Dec 22.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 1947 Wheat Buff Nickel Front 31 Dec 22.jpg
    1947 Wheat Buff Nickel Front 31 Dec 22.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 1947 Wheat Buff Nickel Back 31 Dec 22.jpg
    1947 Wheat Buff Nickel Back 31 Dec 22.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 67
Not many get it but crusty wheats and Buff's make for a great hunt. Congrats. Take advantage of it cause we all know whats coming. Happy New Year. Mark

When happiness is attained by simply getting out there, success will be found in every hunt! Congrats and HH in 2023.

Back
Top Bottom