Found a Small NW Ohio Battleground!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
While curbstripping earlier in the week, a nice older lady asked the usual "Are you finding anything?", and the conversation lead to standing permission to hunt her yard. Rain chased me off before I could hunt more than an hour or so, but out in her backyard I unearthed a small battlefield...literally a battlefield in miniature :lol:

Within a few feet and minutes of each other, I dug my first lead soldiers! The first one rung up a bouncy 16-20 on the EQ800, and expecting trash, I was pleased to bring up what I thought was a mortar man! A couple minutes later, an advancing "rifleman" showed up under a more solid 21-22 signal! After clean up at home, I realized my "rifleman" was actually equipped with a flamethrower, and I knew by the M1 style helmets that they had to be WWII or later. That helped nail down the ID pretty quickly, and I found both online almost immediately - Barclay pod foot lead soldiers from the 1950s. Unfortunately, the mortar man is actually supposed to be an "anti-aircraft gunner" - the barrel of the gun is broken off and should be a couple inches longer.

When I showed them to the homeowner the next day, I could tell she was enthralled by the soldiers, so I offered one to her - "Oh! Can I really have one?? What a great conversation piece for the house!" she said. "But you found them - you choose which one you want". Let me tell you, that was a tough choice - they both are great despite the AA gunner being a bit broken - but I ultimately kept the flamethrower. :cool: Part of me felt bad about "breaking up the set". I really wanted to keep at least one since it was my first lead soldier. At the same time, I really like the idea that the homeowner was genuinely interested in the history those toys represented for the house - a snapshot of a time decades ago when a young boy turned her backyard into a battleground with his imagination while playing with his toy soldiers - so it only seemed fitting for at least one to stay with the house. Maybe I'm just getting sentimental in my old age!! :D

Attachments

• 1CC2FB5A-C7B6-4C7E-93C8-30648BC739AF.jpg
    1CC2FB5A-C7B6-4C7E-93C8-30648BC739AF.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 496
  • 8BCF1B1E-47A8-4E30-B54E-B7F42C9C977F.jpg
    8BCF1B1E-47A8-4E30-B54E-B7F42C9C977F.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 475
  • 0B489FF3-4073-4245-A578-8BAAD0CACA41.jpg
    0B489FF3-4073-4245-A578-8BAAD0CACA41.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 521
  • CB95A41C-DBC9-42EC-8864-679B2DAD793B.jpg
    CB95A41C-DBC9-42EC-8864-679B2DAD793B.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 491
  • A0CD063F-7A56-472B-A1E7-CCBECE5FC10A.jpg
    A0CD063F-7A56-472B-A1E7-CCBECE5FC10A.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 474
  • 30F3E1DC-41FB-4115-8D7B-2DE831EE9E7C.jpg
    30F3E1DC-41FB-4115-8D7B-2DE831EE9E7C.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
You never know where that will go. The small kind gesture of allowing her to have something that she was interested in may lead you to the neighbors yards. Once again nice job on the toy soldiers and I loved your in-depth story.

that is super cool, and it is also very cool for you to offer one to the home owner. You never know when a guest of hers will hear the story and want to have you do their yard. I used to give out cards when I was metal detecting alot and would get calls from their friends...just so they could see what was in their yard.

Got to love it

Love finding a old toy soldiers

Attachments

• 79B692B1-C758-4604-B3C1-8BAB0497431C.jpg
    79B692B1-C758-4604-B3C1-8BAB0497431C.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 363
While curbstripping earlier in the week, a nice older lady asked the usual "Are you finding anything?", and the conversation lead to standing permission to hunt her yard. Rain chased me off before I could hunt more than an hour or so, but out in her backyard I unearthed a small battlefield...literally a battlefield in miniature :lol:

Within a few feet and minutes of each other, I dug my first lead soldiers! The first one rung up a bouncy 16-20 on the EQ800, and expecting trash, I was pleased to bring up what I thought was a mortar man! A couple minutes later, an advancing "rifleman" showed up under a more solid 21-22 signal! After clean up at home, I realized my "rifleman" was actually equipped with a flamethrower, and I knew by the M1 style helmets that they had to be WWII or later. That helped nail down the ID pretty quickly, and I found both online almost immediately - Barclay pod foot lead soldiers from the 1950s. Unfortunately, the mortar man is actually supposed to be an "anti-aircraft gunner" - the barrel of the gun is broken off and should be a couple inches longer.

When I showed them to the homeowner the next day, I could tell she was enthralled by the soldiers, so I offered one to her - "Oh! Can I really have one?? What a great conversation piece for the house!" she said. "But you found them - you choose which one you want". Let me tell you, that was a tough choice - they both are great despite the AA gunner being a bit broken - but I ultimately kept the flamethrower. :cool: Part of me felt bad about "breaking up the set". I really wanted to keep at least one since it was my first lead soldier. At the same time, I really like the idea that the homeowner was genuinely interested in the history those toys represented for the house - a snapshot of a time decades ago when a young boy turned her backyard into a battleground with his imagination while playing with his toy soldiers - so it only seemed fitting for at least one to stay with the house. Maybe I'm just getting sentimental in my old age!! :D

Great finds!

In my opinion you did the right thing, showing the landowner your finds, rather than put the good stuff in one pocket and only show the junk!

Happy hunting!

You never know where that will go. The small kind gesture of allowing her to have something that she was interested in may lead you to the neighbors yards. Once again nice job on the toy soldiers and I loved your in-depth story.

Thanks Dan! That’s a potential side benefit as well - it’d be wonderful if it can help lead to another permission or two!

that is super cool, and it is also very cool for you to offer one to the home owner. You never know when a guest of hers will hear the story and want to have you do their yard. I used to give out cards when I was metal detecting alot and would get calls from their friends...just so they could see what was in their yard.

Thanks Beach Bum! Yes, I always hand out a card as well, but that’s an excellent point - I should probably be giving out a few cards each, especially for home owners in town or otherwise in close proximity to neighbors. That way they have a couple they can give out to interested neighbors or visitors.

Very cool, man.. paint is pretty decent on em too

Thanks teotw! That was one of the first things I noticed too - straight out of the ground, the yellowish paint for their faces jumped right out!

Those are awesome, nice saves!

Thanks matmit - they sure were fun to dig!

Toy soldiers! Yay! I dug the same flamethrower soldier out of my yard last year.

Cool! I missed that thread when you posted it, but just did a search and read it now: Guess what ToySoldier found...

Interesting to see the difference in how our detectors read the signal: yours rung up a little under a nickel signal using your AT Pro, while mine was higher than a nickel, more in the junk/zincoln/Indian range using the EQ800.

Interesting to see the difference in how our detectors read the signal: yours rung up a little under a nickel signal using your AT Pro, while mine was higher than a nickel, more in the junk/zincoln/Indian range using the EQ800.

Interesting. The only trick I've learned to finding toy soldiers is finding one, and then digging every mid to mid-high tone within a few feet, including very small tones. People who only dig high tones won't often find them.

Great finds!

In my opinion you did the right thing, showing the landowner your finds, rather than put the good stuff in one pocket and only show the junk!

Happy hunting!

I agree. I give away finds all the time, including a few toy soldiers. I get a good photo and description. I don't need the clutter and I get a kick out of connecting the homeowners to a piece of history from their property.

Very cool, love finding those old lead toys and great that the owner appreciated and was interested in it. Hopefully some good karma and gold will show up next time.

Back
Top Bottom