Three Cent Nickel

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Plowed field that used to be a school site today. Started with an 1892 "V" Nickel. 1881 and 1865 indian head pennies. Complete garbage signal turned out to be my second ever 3-cent nickel... not in a position to post after-the-fact photos...… Strange lack of relics for a school site....might be that the Equinox doesn't hear them as well??

Attachments

• KIMG0979.jpg
    KIMG0979.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 711
  • KIMG0974.jpg
    KIMG0974.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 662
  • KIMG0975.jpg
    KIMG0975.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 689
  • KIMG0976.jpg
    KIMG0976.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 648
  • KIMG0977.jpg
    KIMG0977.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 639
  • KIMG0980.jpg
    KIMG0980.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 689
  • KIMG0981.jpg
    KIMG0981.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 616
  • KIMG0982.jpg
    KIMG0982.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 665
  • KIMG0984.jpg
    KIMG0984.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 661
Nice recoveries..the 3 cent nickel is something i will probably never find.

No worries on the “after the fact” photos....your in-situ photos are awesome!! Far better than after pics anyway :cool: Excellent digs! I’m patiently awaiting my first 3 cent nickel - I’d love to get one of those. How’d it ring up? By “garbage signal” do you mean it rang up really low but repeatable, or bouncy crappy - literally like junk? You just have me wondering how many times I’ve walked past a 3-center :lol: That button’s a nice one, too!

Nah, if you’re hitting the V nickels, 3 cent pieces, and other low conductors, I’m thinking there just aren’t many relics there for whatever reason. The Equinox hits relics just fine in my Ohio fields, anyway. The tones for relics are imperfect though - the EQ likes symmetrical, round objects best it seems, and relics don’t always fit that mold. I find that many relics often have a slightly (and sometimes much more than slightly) “can slaw”-esque warble to the tone...exaggerated I’m sure because I use 50 tones when I hunt, regardless of mode.

I’m also liking that silver coin ring showing in the pics, too, btw! :cool3:

Nice finds! What did the III cent ring up on the Nox?

How’d it ring up? By “garbage signal” do you mean it rang up really low but repeatable, or bouncy crappy - literally like junk? You just have me wondering how many times I’ve walked past a 3-center

It was a repeatable 6...thought it was going to be foil! I run in Field 1 with 5 tone and generally don't ground balance in the fields...can't find a clean spot to do it ;)

Congrats on the 3 cent'r. It looks to be a pretty good site. So far I just can't seem to break into civil war era producing sites. Good luck HH Mark

It was a repeatable 6...thought it was going to be foil! I run in Field 1 with 5 tone and generally don't ground balance in the fields...can't find a clean spot to do it ;)

Bahhhhh! I was afraid you were going to say that!! I’ve been hunting with everything below 7 notched out!! :( I was originally using Field 2 with bin 1 run up to 7, but lately I’ve been using Park 1 modified to 50 tones and again bin 1 set at 7. So I guess technically not “notched out”, but relegated to an iron tone - not much better. Obviously I have to rethink that strategy...and I have several very large fields to rehunt :shock:

I essentially did the same thing with my Max - I often had the iron discrim set around 34-44, and a 6 on the Equinox would probably fall right in that range. The Max was just way too abusive on my ears otherwise, and I guess it carried over into how I set up the EQ. Lesson learned the hard way - I’ve probably cost myself some interesting targets!!

I hear you on the ground balance - hard to find a clean spot in most fields that had former occupation!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom