Steve's MSA Headphones

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I normally build headphones out of Pro Ears muffs but wanted to try a set of the MSA muffs. This is my first set that I call my experimental phones :lol:. After I got them built I didn't care for where I had the coil wire coming out so I moved it by the volume knob, another thing is I removed the strip of padding on the headband hoping to hide the wire that goes from muff to muff but that didn't work out so I glued it back in and used a couple black zip tied to hold the wire along the headband, doesn't look bad but not the most professional looking. I glued a penny to hide the hole where I originally had the coil wire coming from, I figured a penny is for good luck but maybe a dime would look better. This set has a straight plug instead of the 90 degree angled plug as it fits my Musketeer Colt better. I made another set for a fella that I done a better looking job on but these are comfortable and sound great. I didn't really make these to sell but if anyone is interested in them make me an offer.

Attachments

• hp1.jpg
    hp1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,710
  • hp2.jpg
    hp2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 932
Very cool, Those look great and good luck, headphones are a very important link and comfort for the long hunts is important. What kind of speakers did you use for them?

I just started testing the MSA shells also, expensive guys they are..but I like the fit. I went with the Gray mediums since they will be used for beach hunting. And I used the heyco strain reliefs for the cord out of the bottom. I have sent out two sets for testing and have two more going out in the next few weeks also, I just need to do a set for myself.

Very cool, Those look great and good luck, headphones are a very important link and comfort for the long hunts is important. What kind of speakers did you use for them?

I just started testing the MSA shells also, expensive guys they are..but I like the fit. I went with the Gray mediums since they will be used for beach hunting. And I used the heyco strain reliefs for the cord out of the bottom. I have sent out two sets for testing and have two more going out in the next few weeks also, I just need to do a set for myself.
They are a bit expensive but cheaper than the Pro Ears I usually use. What I found more costly ($7.00) than I thought would be is the 90 degree plug but it is very good quality. They are comfortable, I use 600 ohm speakers, the set I just sold I also used a Heyco strain relief. I usually get most of my parts from Mouser.

Must be the Kobitones, they were out of stock for several months so I went with the audiosears.

Must be the Kobitones, they were out of stock for several months so I went with the audiosears.
Yes the Kobitones, I wanted to get some Audiosears but they told me I had to place an order of 100 or so speakers and I just can't afford to. The 600 ohm speakers give a nice mellow tone which I like. Just want to run this by you or anyone else that reads this post, go to one of your sewing/fabric type stores they have different color pieces of plstic canvas, one the orange set of phones I made I got some orangish red plastic canvas and put it in each ear cup, holds and protects the speakers and makes the headphones look really cool. I also got a soft rubber volume knob that had an orange stripe on it. I would like to find a better place to get my coiled cord, I have been buying the 20' extension cord on eBay that I cut to length and put a good plug on it. I wish that the coiled guitar cable was stereo/ 3 wire instead of 2.

That's a good looking cord, I have been thru several different types. Here are a couple links...And I use the Gortex for the speakers...fairly cheap off ebay.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/111-1046&cid=prodCrossSell

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/cb-196/25-ft-cable-1/4-mono-to-1/4-mono-plug/1.html

I have audiosears if you need them, they are 10.oo each shipped. Much tenner but better for what I need, Excalibur PP mode, you can hear the faints better in AM, but the Kobitones are the same they used in the oldrats so they are better for the discrimating tones hunter.

I found an online guide on how to make headphones and it tells the parts needed etc. What speaker would you guys use for submersible ones and is there any extra processes to making them or is it just a matter of using a different speaker and making sure any internal electrical connections are watertight ? Im not sure I want to try it but if it wasnt too difficult I might try something like that someday.

Here is mine, double goretex face, then aquasealed to the audiosears, then pressed into a acrylic tube, leads attached, then the rear is sealed with epoxy, then front sealed around the rim with aqualseal. Water proof but not for diving....Skullies speakers

Did about 50 or 60 sets last year, 8 came back. Took those failures and redesigned, changes to heavy acrylic tube instead of the thin plastic, then doubled up on the goretex face, made sure the rim of the goretex was trimmed and did not enter the back of the speaker. Switched from silicone the back to epoxy, the silicon was absorbing water in time causing copper wire corrosion and went to 62/36/2 SB Solder. And believe it or not the placement of the speaker can add to the SPL that is delivered to the ear.

Attachments

• OBN016.jpg
    OBN016.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 810
I would like to offer a suggestion for what it's worth....a rubber grommet (donut style) for the cord wire to rest in ....so the cord does not rub up against the plastic cup....I'm sure you could find the perfect match from McMasters or MSC....

Call me for other suggestions if you like....smiles....J/K

HDD

Thanks JK, on the out I use a Heyco strain relief, 2432 or something like that, then If I want to switch between I go for the bulging mini's, McMaster Carr does have some good stuff, get the o rings and replacement coil cable there..Thanks Joe

Attachments

• OBN0208.jpg
    OBN0208.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 799
  • OBN0045.jpg
    OBN0045.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 804
I would like to offer a suggestion for what it's worth....a rubber grommet (donut style) for the cord wire to rest in ....so the cord does not rub up against the plastic cup....I'm sure you could find the perfect match from McMasters or MSC....

Call me for other suggestions if you like....smiles....J/K

HDD
I am always open to suggestions, the phones that I sell have a strain relief. The ones in the picture doesn't but the hole is smooth and the wire is stationary so I have no worries about it being damaged.

Just made myself a new set of headphones in Ratphone style for my land PI's with a volume clipper inside to quiet the large surface targets, yet retain a louder threshold to hear those faint targets.

I found some really nice sounding speakers, not tinnie like the Autosears or as bassie as the Kobitones. They are 32 ohm, removed from Turtle Beach X32 wired demo version headsets. I also replaced the Autosears in my Killer Bees with them. And added the clipper across the mono stereo switch leads.

Attachments

• JP120001cmd.jpg
    JP120001cmd.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 802
  • 20002.jpg
    20002.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 807
  • x32wired.jpg
    x32wired.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 850
  • x32wired1.jpg
    x32wired1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 782
Also found some new fittings for my water units IP68 rating. Cheaper than the Buccaneers that I have been using and have a smaller bulkhead fitting.
Come out of China and build quality is excellent.

Attachments

• pluggers1.jpg
    pluggers1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 790
  • pluggers2.jpg
    pluggers2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 674
  • pluggers3.jpg
    pluggers3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 824
Sven, Your Stuff is always first class!! :thumbsup:

99% of the Headphones I did last year were for the Excalibur and the Audiosears were the best for PP hunting, and the kobitones were better for the discriminate hunter. Sven you had posted some speakers from All Electronics a few years ago, they were real good, infact very middle of the road between the Audiosears and Kobitones as far as audio. Wish I had purchased more, they sold out and there stuff is a one time stock.

This is a great thread! I have been considering building water headphones for my ATP. I am good with soldering, but am not very educated on component selection and specs. You guys have shared a lot of useful info. One question I have is do you guys have a preference for muffs for water? A friend of mine said his muffs don't stay on very well in the water.

This stuff is pretty interesting , but all the technical stuff and electronics are way over my head. I only have a very basic knowledge of electronics and all I know about headphones is that I got a set with my detector.

While doing some research and finding out about ratphones , the ones with a tone adjustment ability , it strikes me that if there is a way to incorporate this ability into headphones themselves then there is probability for a very marketable product , even more than headphones themselves. An inline tone adjustment box between the detector and headphones , for those with hearing difficulties or just a desire to hear the sweet tones from their detector a little differently. If the circuitboard was available to be placed inside ratphones then it should still be available to place inside a small box that is mountable. Lacking the background to do this myself I dont think I could make one , but if someone else could I would be interested in buying one and I bet plenty of others would too.

This stuff is pretty interesting , but all the technical stuff and electronics are way over my head. I only have a very basic knowledge of electronics and all I know about headphones is that I got a set with my detector.

While doing some research and finding out about ratphones , the ones with a tone adjustment ability , it strikes me that if there is a way to incorporate this ability into headphones themselves then there is probability for a very marketable product , even more than headphones themselves. An inline tone adjustment box between the detector and headphones , for those with hearing difficulties or just a desire to hear the sweet tones from their detector a little differently. If the circuitboard was available to be placed inside ratphones then it should still be available to place inside a small box that is mountable. Lacking the background to do this myself I dont think I could make one , but if someone else could I would be interested in buying one and I bet plenty of others would too.

The stuff I read on this page makes me think the idea is possible....

http://www.thunting.com/smf/modific...rs/question_on_headphones-t3577.20.html;wap2=

I wish I had more knowledge of how this stuff works and where the electronic parts were available.

Steve, great looking headphones. Chefphones also uses MSA to make a set it looks like. I can't tell how they run the crossover wire, it looks glued in from the images I seen.

Sven, those Thunder 29's look a bit familiar:p I wonder who's guide I used to make my set :laughing:

Steve, great looking headphones. Chefphones also uses MSA to make a set it looks like. I can't tell how they run the crossover wire, it looks glued in from the images I seen.

Sven, those Thunder 29's look a bit familiar:p I wonder who's guide I used to make my set :laughing:
Thanks.

Ohiochris...What speaker would you guys use for submersible ones and is there any extra processes to making them or is it just a matter of using a different speaker and making sure any internal electrical connections are watertight ? Im not sure I want to try it but if it wasnt too difficult I might try something like that someday.
I have changed the design since video but as picture in the above post

Back
Top Bottom