Things to do during wintertime when you can't detect....( lot's of pics )

yardhunter

.......around here, it gets pretty cold & the ground usually freezes in January thru March. That's when I find other things to do with the finds I've made over the years.
Here's an example of something you can do if you're bored when it's cold....

A few years ago while I was out working, I noticed a figurine display case sitting on the curb ready for the trash truck. Well...since I have several other display cases here at home ( I'll show those another time ) I couldn't resist taking this one home & let it join the others.....

ry%3D480

I noticed a glass & a mirror was broken. Hmmm, I didn't care. It was loaded in my postal vehicle & eventually made it's way to my house. I spent about $25.00 getting the glass/mirror cut & it took about an hour to fix it.

I got real lucky...all the display glass items that figurines sits on were all there. It was as a simple as setting the cabinet up & start putting goodies in it. I never display rare & valuables....just ordinary targets from the ground that are "conversation" pieces.....

Here's shelf #1.......
Showing minnie balls & common buttons found over the years....

ry%3D480

Here's shelf #2.........
Junk jewelry found over the years......

ry%3D480

Most people are amazed this much "stuff" comes out of the ground. Yep, I tell 'em & there's plenty out there to find......

Here's shelf #3........
Whatzits, found over the years.....

ry%3D480

How about shelf #4......
Wierd stuff found over the years.....

ry%3D480

Shelf #5..............
Lighters found over the years......

ry%3D480

Obviously the detectors didn't find those bottles, they were in the
hole with other targets....

Here's shelf #6......

ry%3D480

That's the bottom shelf. I placed large finds there because no one wants to reach to the floor & pick up targets.

Here's the final product for a whopping price of about $25.00....
Yes, the light even worked......

ry%3D480

So....if you are desperate for something detector related to do this winter, why not get out there & find a display case at a flea market & make your own displays...The non-detecting public will be amazed at the items you find with detectors....

Here's another display, I'll show closer ups of it some other time.......

ry%3D480

Yep, it's an old gun cabinet I picked up at a flea market near Cincinnati Ohio. It also has plenty of finds displayed in it too.
Hope this gets you "fired" up to get out there & pick up a display case for yourself. There are plenty of ideas & ways to display goodies. I have 4 more displays & a wall one to show someday.

Meanwhile...I'm always on the look out for more large display cases.
Who knows....maybe I'll find another one soon...and...if I'm nice to the wife, maybe she will allow me to bring it home!

Thanks for looking..........see ya yardhunter

Very interesting displays you have there, thanks for posting. Good idea for something to do during the colder months.

Very Impressive! This will be my first Winter Withdrawl from detecting. I already have the shakes! Hunted today in a wind chill in the teens and almost froze my A** off!:lol:

Very nice! I picked a bad time of year to start this hobby. I'm having to brave the cold to get in a few hunts before I'm cut off until spring.

wow, i like that. mine would be full of pull tabs though, my wife is amazed at how many of those i've dug. but unfortunately the ground doesn't really freeze much here so guess i'll have to brave out my few spare moments this winter metal detecting :lol:

Very nice! I picked a bad time of year to start this hobby. I'm having to brave the cold to get in a few hunts before I'm cut off until spring.

I hear you on that one! I decided to delve into this hobby in December of last year! Never had the best of timing, getting in to an outdoor hobby at the BEGINNING of Winter. :lol:

Now that'll get a newbie excited to hunt......

have our first hard frost this morning and down to 28 degrees at 7am, but already warming up. Love the south.:razz:

This is my latest creation metal detecting Coin inlaid treasure box

Attachments

• 114_1080-1.jpg
    114_1080-1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 698
  • 114_1089-1.jpg
    114_1089-1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 871
  • 2013-11-23 20.39.55-1.jpg
    2013-11-23 20.39.55-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 791
  • 2013-11-23 21.05.08-1.jpg