Magnet fishing II

bowwinkles

Elite Member
The last thread got covered up and so I am opening up a new thread to see if we can generate a following here on the "Friendly" forum. Lets hear from you new folks who have recovered the millions from the bottom of the lake. :wow:

Lost my magnet last year. Got hooked on some boulders or something immoveable under a bridge. Was not coming out from any direction. Had to cut the line. I'll have to get another one.

Lost my magnet last year. Got hooked on some boulders or something immoveable under a bridge. Was not coming out from any direction. Had to cut the line. I'll have to get another one.

I bought a nice one for $80.00. It even came with a nice case. Have not used it yet because I fear the same thing will happen to me as what happened to you. Still looking for a "safe" place to use it.:lol:

fill the tub up and geter done. No travel time, food near, TV in the area, no mask, and the couch to take a nap when its done:)

I bought a nice one for $80.00. It even came with a nice case. Have not used it yet because I fear the same thing will happen to me as what happened to you. Still looking for a "safe" place to use it.:lol:

There's some videos online to cut a soda bottle and put them onto the top end of the magnet. Helps with snags a lot. My coworker did it to his and does well, I was in the same spot hitting snags since I didn't do it yet, had to swim a few times :lol:

Even with the occasional snag this endeavor is a lot of fun and still gives you that feeling like finding a great find metal detecting.

Pull them magnets out of the closet and head for the lake and then come back and tell us your story.

Magnet fisher hooks hand grenade!

Here's hoping all you magnet fishermen don't stick onto what THIS guy's magnet did --A HAND GRENADE with pin still intact. Probably a discarded "war souvenir".

This happened a few towns southwest of me:

Attachments

• Magnet_fisher_finds_grenade.jpg
    Magnet_fisher_finds_grenade.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
Gives a new meaning to fishin and chips. Put that in the deep fryer and you could get a real bang out of that meal. Very rare happening while magnet fishing and you are probably more in danger driving in a car to the fishing spot.

Magnet fishing uh? Do they make a magnet with discrimination yet? Or one that sticks to metals of value?

Magnet fishing uh? Do they make a magnet with discrimination yet? Or one that sticks to metals of value?

No they do not discriminate between the good stuff and the and the bad. As far as precious metals that would depend on what the magnetic metal was made in to. I have pulled fishing reels up that have a value of over a hundred dollars and a flashlight that was also over a hundred. Do you want to get another fun sport in the way of metal detecting? Then there may very well be a degree of discrimination when you have to choose one over the other for the weekend.:chaplin:

Color me interested. What’s a decent starter magnet?

Not trying to dodge question but this is like asking what is a decent MD. Do searches on ebay and Amazon to get some feel for the price points for different magnet strengths. Just like with MDs there is no real consensus on the best choice. Do check out youtube vids for tips on how to set them up. You can find them for twenty bucks or so; on the other hand some can cost around a hundred bucks. As a rule the stronger they are the more they cost.

Keep in mind that most stuff in the water has at least a little bit of rust which makes it harder for a magnet to stick and that is why a stronger magnet has an advantage. If nothing else they can be useful to clear out the junk iron metal before you use your MD to find the good stuff.

No they do not discriminate between the good stuff and the and the bad. As far as precious metals that would depend on what the magnetic metal was made in to. I have pulled fishing reels up that have a value of over a hundred dollars and a flashlight that was also over a hundred. Do you want to get another fun sport in the way of metal detecting? Then there may very well be a degree of discrimination when you have to choose one over the other for the weekend.:chaplin:

Thanks! I'll keep that stuff in mind

There may be an advantage to combining the two. A quick pass by a strong magnet can clear out a lot of what some would call junk so a second pass by a MD would only find the good stuff.

As an example a friend of mine had his son drop a nice knife in a small sink hole on his land. It was easy to drag a magnet over the area and find the knife; along with other metal. With an MD there would have been multiple hits from some nails and soda cans.

I am reminded of the old saying 'to a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail'. Big magnets and MDs are different tools for different purposes.

Color me interested. What’s a decent starter magnet?

To me, it depends on the type of magnet fishing you plan on doing.

For just bobbing around fishing docks I like to use a smaller magnet. I got one off of Amazon rated at 300 lbs for like $25.

For relic hunting or looking for heavier stuff I use a 600lb pull that I got from Brute Magnetics.

Back
Top Bottom