Coin Help

yooper69

Elite Member
This is what i am getting on my phone when asking google. 731 proofs issued at the philly mint and they are worth 750-850 . there is no mint mark on this barber quarter. Over 80% of the barber quarters minted in 1897 were minted in philly mint. I have talked on the phone to a coin dealer and he said it is just a normal barber . Then if that is true why is google saying different like stated above ? I know this coin is not in great condition but i would like some more opinions on who to believe . IMG_20191130_121212906.jpg

IMG_20191130_121249984.jpg

Last edited:
Coins minted in philly dont usually carry mint marks. The way its worded makes you think only the proofs lacked mint marks. Hope that helps.

Coins minted in philly dont usually carry mint marks. The way its worded makes you think only the proofs lacked mint marks. Hope that helps.

So it's just another silver is what you are saying? Which is fine just wanted a solid answer. Thanks

I’m no expert, but it appears that the 731 proof quarters were only minted at Philly for that year. There’s a pretty good chance that the majority of these proof coins still exist as they were normally sold directly to collectors. My guess is that your coin is a plain business strike, but being worn there is no way to know for sure.

I’m no expert, but it appears that the 731 proof quarters were only minted at Philly for that year. There’s a pretty good chance that the majority of these proof coins still exist as they were normally sold directly to collectors. My guess is that your coin is a plain business strike, but being worn there is no way to know for sure.

your quarter is worth about $15.00 to $30.00 per the Whitman official blue book. Hope this helps.
Thanks

The Philadelphia mint did in fact strike 731 proof Barber Quarters in 1897. They also struck millions of regular issue circulation strikes. In those days no proofs were struck at branch mints, such as San Francisco, Denver, or New Orleans. Even if your coin was originally a proof, which is highly unlikely, it would not be worth any more than an ordinary 1897 Barber Quarter because it's seen a lot of use and is worn down to what would grade "good". Current retail value? 7-8 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom