White's Spectra V3 Field Reports

Ive tried numerous times to restore the factory programs but to no avail. I've done exactly like the owners manual says and there is still the little plus mark next to the coin and coin/jewelry program.
Have you been doing this? If so, you may need to re-visit your dealer.

Restore.jpg

NOTE: See rcasi44's note in the post below....

My first 10D2 coil was defective and my machine was "nuts" most of the time, even after a proper ground balance and gain/disc sens adjustment. I think White's has solved the initial production issues with the coil, but anything is possible. White's replaced mine immediately. Do you have another compatible coil to try?

Last edited:
You have to restore from the expert menu and put the X on save from the library opinion. What John showed does not restore from the library but from your saved program. Rob

Ya I will try restoring from the expert menu, when I copied Jack's custom correlate program using the coin/jewelry program I saved it. I think I will have to restore it back using expert menu.

My other problem now, is when im using my detector it will go bonkers and just make noise and everything when not touching the ground or next to metal. Ive tried all the different programs and still getting the same results, im wondering if I have a bad coil. I dont have a spare coil to try so im going to contact whites on monday and see what they can do for me.

Pretty frustrating to pay 1500 dollars on something and not have it work when you take it out to use it.

Im going to take it out sometime today and try and make a quick video that I can post so you guys can see what its doing.

HH all

Hi guys. New to the forum and the V3. Just want to say thanks, I appreciate this thread. :yes:

A question or two if I may.....

Jack, I installed your program (labeled it "Jacks Slow Swing") and took it to my test garden with the D2 loop. I went for a dime in the 10"+ range and I gotta say I got a much more consistent signal than any other program I am currently running. I'm in the the CA bay area so our soil is fairly mineralized, also, the ground in the test bed is bone dry right now so it's a pretty impressive at this point.

I had a consistant VDI of 80/81 but my audio pitch (with tone ID on) sounded closer to a machine with tone ID off. (Tone ID was infact working though). Is this the result of running correlate on?

I'm looking forward to field testing this program. I've had the V3 less than 2 weeks so I don't yet have anyting but the D2 coil. Thoughts on turning the recovery speed up with the D2?

oh, I also laughed when I read "DIG IT!" in the icon field.

Welcome to the forum from Los Gatos.

I'll let Jack handle the technical questions, but I'm running the recovery speed at 100 with a 6x9 coil.

PM sent.

So, I ordered the Super 12 coil for my V3. I did not order a cover for it. I notice there is an open cover, actually two different ones for some reason, and a solid one. What is the difference between them? In the past, my coils have always been solid, with only solid covers, so I have no experience here. I sent an e-mail to whites last week, but have not received an answer, so figured that I woiuld try here...

Thanks
Andy

Hi guys. New to the forum and the V3. Just want to say thanks, I appreciate this thread. :yes:

A question or two if I may.....

Jack, I installed your program (labeled it "Jacks Slow Swing") and took it to my test garden with the D2 loop. I went for a dime in the 10"+ range and I gotta say I got a much more consistent signal than any other program I am currently running. I'm in the the CA bay area so our soil is fairly mineralized, also, the ground in the test bed is bone dry right now so it's a pretty impressive at this point.

I had a consistant VDI of 80/81 but my audio pitch (with tone ID on) sounded closer to a machine with tone ID off. (Tone ID was infact working though). Is this the result of running correlate on?

I'm looking forward to field testing this program. I've had the V3 less than 2 weeks so I don't yet have anyting but the D2 coil. Thoughts on turning the recovery speed up with the D2?

oh, I also laughed when I read "DIG IT!" in the icon field.

Hello and welcome RacerX. It looks like you may have inadvertently loaded a program from the library called "Beep-Dig" and used it for your base program instead of using the "Coin & Jewelry". The status line text "Dig It!" is part of a custom program from the factory. I don't think your tone id was functioning correctly. You should be hearing a very high pitched tone. Leave that recovery speed slow unless you get into heavy trash. I would reset your "Coin and jewelry" program to factory default and try again. I have made several modifications to this program and will post the changes along with notes this week. It sounds like you have the key parts of the program set correctly. Glad your getting good depth. Hope this helps out.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

So, I ordered the Super 12 coil for my V3. I did not order a cover for it. I notice there is an open cover, actually two different ones for some reason, and a solid one. What is the difference between them? In the past, my coils have always been solid, with only solid covers, so I have no experience here. I sent an e-mail to whites last week, but have not received an answer, so figured that I would try here...

Thanks
Andy

The original Super12 coil was slightly larger in diameter. the later Super12 or "300mm" coil has it's own size cover. The solid coil cover is very nice for detecting in heavy brush or under branches, corn stubble, etc., as it will help keep the coil from hanging up in this environment. The solid cover is made for the (newer) slightly smaller Diameter Super12 coil.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Last edited:
Thanks Jack,

I would assume there is no loss of depth or anything going with the solid cover? Not sure why anyone would want to buy the open one? I will go with the solid one I suppose, as I have hunted in fields with corn stubble on several ccasions, and there seems to be no reason to not be preparred...

Thanks Again
Andy

Here is the update on the Correlate based program for the V3

Choose the "Coin & Jewelry" from the presets and make the following changes...

Discrimination
Accept (-95,-94,-93, +40 to +95)
Reject (-92 to +39)

Notes: Set your accept range to include all + numbers (+1 to +95) if you want to include the gold range. Deep Nickels and larger gold items will still sound off with the above settings. This will make things much noisier as well. Remember this program is primarily for hunting old deep coins.

Sensitivity
Rx Gain (9)
Discrimination (92)
All Metal (78)

Notes: Set your sensitivity to where your detector is stable. Do not sacrifice Discrimination sensitivity for Rx Gain. Keep the Discrimination sensitivity as high as possible.

Ground Tracking
Speed (15)

Frequency
Correlate (ON)
Span (43)
Wrap (-93)

Notes: I have now included -94 and -93 on the wrap and opened up the span setting to smooth out deep target responses.

Filter & Speed
Ground Filter (5Hz Band Pass)
Recovery Delay (115)

Audio
Tone ID (ON)
Modulation (OFF)

Set your "Tone ID Mode" to "Custom "and make the following changes...

-95 = 255
-94 = 254
-93 = 253

Notes: This last adjustment on the audio will let a deep coin produce a nice rolling response as opposed to being sharp and cut off. Hot rocks and rusty nail tips remain sharp and cut off while coins sound smooth and roll in the decay of the generated tone. This really works well.

I have now fully tested this with the 6x9 DD coil as well as the Super12. I am currently using a 10"x12" SEF Butterfly coil with great success. DD type coils will go deeper in moderate to high mineralized soils.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Last edited:
It looks like you may have inadvertently loaded a program from the library called "Beep-Dig" and used it for your base program instead of using the "Coin & Jewelry".

:lol: Yep, exactly what I did! I erased it and started over and saw HOW I did that. Now that dime sounds REAL good! :shock:

Now to update the program to your latest numbers.

Thanks again Jack!

Thanks Jack,

I would assume there is no loss of depth or anything going with the solid cover? Not sure why anyone would want to buy the open one? I will go with the solid one I suppose, as I have hunted in fields with corn stubble on several ccasions, and there seems to be no reason to not be preparred...

Thanks Again
Andy

There is no loss of depth. Open coil covers would be more functional with the coil under water I would imagine. Also the open covers do not fill up with dirt and sand. The full cover will have to be cleaned out more often over the course of a hunt.

How much depth would you lose Jack if your had a faster sweep response. like say set to 20 or 30.

I'm so used to swinging my Fisher F4 with authority that its really hard to train myself to slow down.

I reprogrammed my coin setting and went detecting earlier today and was surprised at how many coins ive missed with my Fisher F4.

I also set my sweep response at 20 and it sure seems to recover quick when it hits on targets.

Let me know what you think Jack

Brad

How much depth would you lose Jack if your had a faster sweep response. like say set to 20 or 30.

I'm so used to swinging my Fisher F4 with authority that its really hard to train myself to slow down.

I reprogrammed my coin setting and went detecting earlier today and was surprised at how many coins ive missed with my Fisher F4.

I also set my sweep response at 20 and it sure seems to recover quick when it hits on targets.

Let me know what you think Jack

Brad

If you want to swing with authority join a softball league. If you want to hunt for old coins swing slow and even. :lol: Just kidding Brad. Slow even swings are very important for getting those deep coins.

That's an extremely fast recovery time. The V3 recovery time setting is on a scale of 1-200. Fast recovery time is a good thing when dealing with multiple targets in close proximity. On a deep target a slow recovery time allows the target to fully respond. Nulling from targets in close proximity is always a risk with slower recovery times. Using a DD style coil is going to help, but recovery time is a double edged sword. The key to making this decision for yourself is experiment over finds in the field.

How is your detector behaving now? Do you have a bad coil?

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Last edited:
Well Jack I went out last night to my local high school and just used the stock coin program, The school was built in the late 60's but the field where I was hunting was put in around the early 70's.

I was able to actually hunt with the gain set to 10 without any falsing.

Some how when I first tried restoring to factory specifications it restored it with a program called beep-dig.

I manually went through and changed every setting in the coin program back to factory specifications according to the back of the owners guide.
I was using a sweep speed of 20 but since I want more depth I think I will learn to swing slower and use a higher sweep speed.

I programmed your settings into the coin/jewelry mode last night before I went to bed so when I get home I'm going to take it out and try it later tonight.

Thanks for the info

Brad

Generally I use the probe suggestion + 1 or 2. I always give priority to the Discrimination setting. Other words I will turn down the RX Gain to bump up the Discrimination Sensitivity.

Jack, how would you rate your ground? It might give me an idea how to adjust your program for my ground. Rob

Back
Top Bottom