White's Spectra V3 Field Reports

Nice work finding those Nickels !

Can i ask what Mode and settings you were using ?

Been trying to learn the basics of my new machine.

Thank you.

Coming from an MXT, I was wondering about the Auto Trac speed. I see most are set to 25. I wondering if Bob (rcsnake) would give a guess as to what speed would compare to the tracking speed of the MXT? Rob

Long time no post. I have been very busy with work and away on a little vacation as well. I have not had a lot of hunt time in the last month. Things are starting to get back to normal and I am making some headway in dealing with the V3's problematic Correlate mode. There are some really big differences in the Correlate functions of the V3 compared to the DFX. I have been using th 2.5kHz most of the time and still making nice finds at depths between 8 and 10 inches. This is fine until you get into trashy iron infested areas. Over the last two brief outings with the V3 I was finally able to get the correlate running smooth and deep. The breakthrough came in the form of accepting (-95) in the discrimination settings and using the VDI wrap functions. The V3 now sings out loud on a wheat penny at 8 inches. Today I was able to raise the coil 4 inches off the ground and still get a good response. I have to be honest I was to the point of selling the machine and getting an E-Trac with the money. I still want the E-Trac, but I will be holding on to the V3 in light of the recent breakthroughs. I will be posting detailed information on tweaking the V3 in the Correlate mode in the next few days. Sorry for the long away time. Time to get swing'in again.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

CyberSage, you could raise the coil four inches off the ground and still read the wheatie at eight inches deep? Please PM me your setup!:D

CyberSage, you could raise the coil four inches off the ground and still read the wheatie at eight inches deep? Please PM me your setup!:D

That's correct. I will post my adjustments as soon as I get the time. I was using the discrimination incorrectly in combination with the VDI Wrap. The Span setting now plays a important role in quieting the V3 down. Today I played with ground tracking and was able to quiet the beast some more. I am using the lowest filter setting (5Hz) in combination with a slow recovery speed. I promise I will get more detailed in the settings. I was very surprised to be able to get such good readings off the wheat at that depth. For clarification this is a Wheat penny I buried about 14 months ago under the deepest plug I could cut. I watered and backfilled before replacing the plug. This is not an actual in the field find. I will be doing much more testing over actual finds. I have just recently made these adjustments and have not been able to get out for a hunt. Still not bad depth.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Last edited:
This isn't relatively important, but I'm just curious Jack. So your last post on the e-trac thread wasn't accurate? You aren't selling the V3 and buying an e-trac?

It's not accurate now Epi. I was actually committed to this to raise money for the purchase. I would still like to have the E-Trac for the fall hunting season. I sure like the result Detector is getting already with his. My Wife has started to use the DFX now in recent group hunts so I do not want to sell it. Like I said, If I had not made this little break through with the V3 this last week I would probably had the E-Trac on the way.

Keep Swing'n
Jack

OK! Here is the most recent version of the Correlate program for the V3, and a few notes about my adjustments. I am using a V rated Super12 coil. I do not have any idea of how this will behave with the stock D2 coil. If you try this with other coils I would love to hear about your results. My soil is moderately mineralized and the soil makeup appears to be fairly consistent. You may need to speed up your Ground Tracking to accommodate your soil condition. To fast of speed and things will start getting noisy however. I included the Sensitivity settings only to show where I was at when I had good target feedback from the Wheat Penny. You should adjust this for stability and according the what the probe function recommends. This is a very slow Recovery Delay this is key to getting good depth. This is a double edged sword however. To fast of swing and you will mask out good targets. Move very very slow. I can't stress this enough. Slow even swings are very important if you want to reach down and get those deep targets. This program has only been tested over a 14 month old coin garden. It performs very well in this scenario. As I make finds in the field I will continue to tweak the program. This is just a starting point. Have fun!

Choose the "Coin & Jewelry" from the presets and make the following changes...

Discrimination
Accept (-95, -30 to +95)
Reject (-94 to -31)

Sensitivity
Rx Gain (10)
Discrimination (90)
All Metal (78)

Ground Tracking
Speed (15)

Frequency
Correlate (ON)
Span (20)
Wrap (-94)

Filter & Speed
Ground Filter (5Hz Band Pass)
Recovery Delay (115)

Audio
Tone ID (ON)
Modulation (OFF)

This program should run fairly quiet. It will definitely sound off long and loud on good solid targets. Cross check your target at 90 degrees to overcome the occasional rusty nail tip. They usually exhibit some red splatter across the screen at 90 degrees.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Last edited:
Ah Ha!!! Another entry in "The Book of Jack".

If I ever get to detect again (it's been two days now), I'll put it to the test with the 6X9 DD coil (with a "V").

Thanks Jack.

Interesting variation Jack. Any particular reason for accepting the range of -30 to 0 ?

Rudy,

A lot of the shallower junk iron falls in this range. By accepting it, you cut down on possible nulling of good targets. You still risk masking, but to me this is the lesser of two evils. Working a potential target from all angles will often let the higher conductive target prevail, but you have to swing slow. The way I see it is, the less discrimination you can tolerate the better. If you have a shallow target masking, it will sometimes show it's depth during pinpointing. Dig it out of the way and sweep the area again. More than once I have received the sweet sound of a deep coin on that second sweep. Just my own theory here, but it's all about learning and theorizing i guess.

Jack

Rudy,

A lot of the shallower junk iron falls in this range. By accepting it, you cut down on possible nulling of good targets. You still risk masking, but to me this is the lesser of two evils. Working a potential target from all angles will often let the higher conductive target prevail, but you have to swing slow. The way I see it is, the less discrimination you can tolerate the better. If you have a shallow target masking, it will sometimes show it's depth during pinpointing. Dig it out of the way and sweep the area again. More than once I have received the sweet sound of a deep coin on that second sweep. Just my own theory here, but it's all about learning and theorizing i guess.

Jack

Good point. I forgot that you have Tone ID capability, plus you have a very slow recovery set up. That would certainly give you masking problems.

I should mention that a lot of the ferrous targets in this range have a broad response pattern and will not pass through the parameters of the Span setting of the Correlate mode. Instead of eliciting a response they are just ignored. This is another form of discriminating out iron. This is the magic in the DFX and V3, instead of using a VDI range to ignore a target you are using a response pattern. The down side of this as I have recently learned is you are going to miss old deep pocket spills. In Going back over the same areas with the single 2.5 kHz mode this became evident. A group of highly conductive targets in close proximity to each other sound just like junk to the Correlate mode sometimes.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

I will try this program with the 6x9 coil as well. I would think with the D2 10 inch coil you will probably find that the ground probe will will give a very high Rx Gain recommendation. I would still keep it a little lower and run up the (AC) Discrimination sensitivity all you can.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

I should mention that a lot of the ferrous targets in this range have a broad response pattern and will not pass through the parameters of the Span setting of the Correlate mode. Instead of eliciting a response they are just ignored. This is another form of discriminating out iron. This is the magic in the DFX and V3, instead of using a VDI range to ignore a target you are using a response pattern. The down side of this as I have recently learned is you are going to miss old deep pocket spills. In Going back over the same areas with the single 2.5 kHz mode this became evident. A group of highly conductive targets in close proximity to each other sound just like junk to the Correlate mode sometimes.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

That is a very excellent point Jack. Most people don't realize that when there is a smattering of conductive targets closely spaced, it drives the filters bonkers and the detector often is fooled into thinking it is a ferrous target(s).

OK! Here is the most recent version of the Correlate program for the V3, and a few notes about my adjustments. I am using a V rated Super12 coil. I do not have any idea of how this will behave with the stock D2 coil. If you try this with other coils I would love to hear about your results. My soil is moderately mineralized and the soil makeup appears to be fairly consistent. You may need to speed up your Ground Tracking to accommodate your soil condition. To fast of speed and things will start getting noisy however. I included the Sensitivity settings only to show where I was at when I had good target feedback from the Wheat Penny. You should adjust this for stability and according the what the probe function recommends. This is a very slow Recovery Delay this is key to getting good depth. This is a double edged sword however. To fast of swing and you will mask out good targets. Move very very slow. I can't stress this enough. Slow even swings are very important if you want to reach down and get those deep targets. This program has only been tested over a 14 month old coin garden. It performs very well in this scenario. As I make finds in the field I will continue to tweak the program. This is just a starting point. Have fun!

Choose the "Coin & Jewelry" from the presets and make the following changes...

Discrimination
Accept (-95, -30 to +95)
Reject (-94 to -31)

Sensitivity
Rx Gain (10)
Discrimination (90)
All Metal (78)

Ground Tracking
Speed (15)

Frequency
Correlate (ON)
Span (20)
Wrap (-94)

Filter & Speed
Ground Filter (5Hz Band Pass)
Recovery Delay (115)

Audio
Tone ID (ON)
Modulation (OFF)

This program should run fairly quiet. It will definitely sound off long and loud on good solid targets. Cross check your target at 90 degrees to overcome the occasional rusty nail tip. They usually exhibit some red splatter across the screen at 90 degrees.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Would some of these parameters be applicable to the V3's precursor MD's, like the DFX or XLT since they share much of the same basic program?

Back
Top Bottom