My thoughts on the XP Deus 2 after 50 hours.

I noticed the exact same thing yesterday while hunting in park mode. Twice I hit a target thinking it was going to be a quarter and it ended up being a small (2”-3”) piece of small gauge copper wire. I couldn’t believe it. I even laid the wire on top of the ground in a different spot and it still rang up 96. Definitely there’s something going on with park mode.

COpper wire wouldn’t be necessarily bad ops. Ferrous wire would be. Rattlehead’s wire seemed ferrous based on use of other modes.

COpper wire wouldn’t be necessarily bad ops. Ferrous wire would be. Rattlehead’s wire seemed ferrous based on use of other modes.

Yeah, but this was like 20-22 gauge. Probably about 1/32” in diameter. Not looped either, but fairly straight.

Yeah I think the one I showed in the video above was steel, but as tiny as this wire is, even if it were copper I would expect it to read much lower.

You can see the same thing happening @ 4:22 in this video:

I dug through my trash bucket and found those two pieces of wire. I was wrong they’re NOT copper as they stick to a magnet. The shorter one was the first and it gave a pretty good mid 90s TID. I thought for sure it was going to be a quarter.

Attachments

• 527E7AF5-DCF8-4A38-B2E0-0FE4B30A29DE.jpg
    527E7AF5-DCF8-4A38-B2E0-0FE4B30A29DE.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 783
So what’s the end game? Just don’t use that mode when coin shooting?

Maybe switch to something else if you keep digging wire at the site you’re hunting. It hasn’t been a huge problem for me, but I have dug a few of them now. TNSS reported it, so maybe it’s something they can fix with an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more con added to my review. After performing a firmware update today I noticed that updating erases all of your custom programs. With all the user adjustments available on the Deus 2, this can be a real pain in the @ss. I was under the impression that this was no longer a problem on the Deus 2.

FWIW, I do like the larger TID option that the update adds. I just think having to re-create all custom programs every time you perform an update shouldn't be an issue on a newly released $1500 metal detector.

One more con added to my review. After performing a firmware update today I noticed that updating erases all of your custom programs. With all the user adjustments available on the Deus 2, this can be a real pain in the @ss. I was under the impression that this was no longer a problem on the Deus 2.

FWIW, I do like the larger TID option that the update adds. I just think having to re-create all custom programs every time you perform an update shouldn't be an issue on a newly released $1500 metal detector.

I reloaded my remote with .6 software not long after ingot. My programs stayed intact afterwards. And I indeed thought custom programs would be saved with updating. Guess I was wrong.

One thing to note. Custom programs need to have new big ID saved or it won’t be there when you open your custom program.

I reloaded my remote with .6 software not long after ingot. My programs stayed intact afterwards. And I indeed thought custom programs would be saved with updating. Guess I was wrong.

Yours stayed but mine didn’t. That’s weird. Maybe I did something wrong. I guess I’ll find out soon when they release v.7.

Yours stayed but mine didn’t. That’s weird. Maybe I did something wrong. I guess I’ll find out soon when they release v.7.

No my custom programs went bye bye too.
But here’s a twist.
When I reloaded software few weeks ago after I deleted both fast 40 and beach p programs they never came back.

Today when I reloaded software the beach p and fast 40 are back on my machine.

Yeah I noticed that too. I also removed those programs and put my own in their place. When I updated, my programs were gone and those were back. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I just hope they get it squared away before they release v.7. I have a bunch of custom programs and I’m not looking forward to setting them all up again.

Here’s what I’d like to see: Now that you can have it show the large numbers and Ferrous/ NonFerrous meter when a target is detected, why not remove the original ID and horse shoe when no target is being detected. That space could then be used to increase the size of everything else. Make the ground reading and other info larger and less cramped.

No point in showing the smaller ID or horse shoe when nothing is being detected.

Last edited:
Found a few items today that have me pretty excited about the D2.

78246c4a9b160730cfe58564e21d6fad.jpg

Yeah, I know it’s just a couple of wheats, a nickel, a key and some reeds.. It’s not so much what I found, but where I found it and how I found it.

These items were found in my own back yard. The house was built in 1880, has nasty orange clay and is absolutely LOADED with iron. It’s actually one of the worst places I’ve ever detected. You can literally dig a random plug anywhere in the yard and find between 10 to 15 nails and other bits of iron in the hole. I’m not exaggerating.. it’s THAT bad.

Anyway, the yard is small.. Roughly 25 ft X 60 ft. I’ve lived here since 2009 and have detected here with every machine I’ve owned for countless hours. I’ve covered it multiple times from every angle. Even though there’s still tons of ferrous targets and a lot of junk non-ferrous signals that read in the foil and can slaw range, there were no signals left in coin range.. or so I thought.

I got out the D2 today and tried using Fast mode with pitch tones. I love how pitch makes nonferrous jump out at you when hunting thick iron, but it can be overwhelming when there’s modern trash mixed in. As I expected, it was very noisy. So many hits on every swing that it was almost impossible to pick out any signals in the range I wanted to dig. Didn’t find anything worth mentioning. So I sat down to take a break. As I was sitting there I wondered what would happen if I set up a coin shooting program based off of fast, using pitch tones. I switched the remote back on and made some adjustments. By default it has discrimination set at 6.8. I bumped it up to 7 then created two notches. One from 7 to 57, then another from 65 to 80. This gets rid of everything but a nickel slot and targets that read from IHPs on up.
I also raised bottle cap rejection up to 4.

After my break, I continued hunting for another hour using my new pitch coin shooting program. Found all of the targets you see in the picture, and every single one of them hit in the coin range with a repeating signal. All in my own yard which I’ve been hunting relentlessly since 2009 with damn near every top detector on the market. That’s pretty impressive to me.

PS: Posting this here instead of creating a new thread so not to get anyone riled up about more Deus 2 content. :lol:

Found a few items today that have me pretty excited about the D2.

78246c4a9b160730cfe58564e21d6fad.jpg

Yeah, I know it’s just a couple of wheats, a nickel, a key and some reeds.. It’s not so much what I found, but where I found it and how I found it.

These items were found in my own back yard. The house was built in 1880, has nasty orange clay and is absolutely LOADED with iron. It’s actually one of the worst places I’ve ever detected. You can literally dig a random plug anywhere in the yard and find between 10 to 15 nails and other bits of iron in the hole. I’m not exaggerating.. it’s THAT bad.

Anyway, the yard is small.. Roughly 25 ft X 60 ft. I’ve lived here since 2009 and have detected here with every machine I’ve owned for countless hours. I’ve covered it multiple times from every angle. Even though there’s still tons of ferrous targets and a lot of junk non-ferrous signals that read in the foil and can slaw range, there were no signals left in coin range.. or so I thought.

I got out the D2 today and tried using Fast mode with pitch tones. I love how pitch makes nonferrous jump out at you when hunting thick iron, but it can be overwhelming when there’s modern trash mixed in. As I expected, it was very noisy. So many hits on every swing that it was almost impossible to pick out any signals in the range I wanted to dig. Didn’t find anything worth mentioning. So I sat down to take a break. As I was sitting there I wondered what would happen if I set up a coin shooting program based off of fast, using pitch tones. I switched the remote back on and made some adjustments. By default it has discrimination set at 6.8. I bumped it up to 7 then created two notches. One from 7 to 57, then another from 65 to 80. This gets rid of everything but a nickel slot and targets that read from IHPs on up.
I also raised bottle cap rejection up to 4.

After my break, I continued hunting for another hour using my new pitch coin shooting program. Found all of the targets you see in the picture, and every single one of them hit in the coin range with a repeating signal. All in my own yard which I’ve been hunting relentlessly since 2009 with damn near every top detector on the market. That’s pretty impressive to me.

PS: Posting this here instead of creating a new thread so not to get anyone riled up about more Deus 2 content. :lol:

Yep.
Exactly what I am seeing. I use 3 tone usually though. Thanks for sharing. Deus 2 with 9” coil can be used in some so-called scary places for a detector. Least they use to be scary.

In my original post I said Pitch tones might not be good for hunting spots with modern trash mixed in due to sensory overload. I’m hereby retracting that statement. I’ve confirmed today that the opposite is true. You just need to use some notch to eliminate the modern trash.

Yesterday I was surprised to find some old coins and other targets in the coin range in my own back yard which I’ve been hunting since 2009. I was using a modified version of Fast with Pitch tones set up with notches for coin shooting.

Today I wanted to confirm this program was working as good as I thought it was, so I took it to a curb strip next to an old park where I’ve had good luck in the past. Ended up getting some clad, a wheat, a 45 Canadian cent and my 4th silver with the Deus 2. All from a 3ft wide curb strip that I’ve hunted countless times before. What I’ve noticed using this program is that just like the name says, it’s fast. It picks out coins near junk very well. Surprisingly, it’s also pretty deep. The wheat was easily 8”. But what I really like the most is how pitch tones makes the targets jump out at you. What I mean is a good target that may sound iffy in other audio modes sounds much better in pitch. As a side benefit, with pitch operating like VCO, it makes it really easy to spot the deeper coins.

022648ac4436bdc82c7bcd200a076abe.jpg

D2 guys who like US coin shooting, try this:

Base program: Fast (with Pitch tones)
Disc: 7
Notch 1: 7-58
Notch 2: 65-80
Bottlecap reject 4 or 5

Go hunt your trashiest, iron infested site that has produced for you in the past. Let us know how it goes!

In my original post I said Pitch tones might not be good for hunting spots with modern trash mixed in due to sensory overload. I’m hereby retracting that statement. I’ve confirmed today that the opposite is true. You just need to use some notch to eliminate the modern trash.

Yesterday I was surprised to find some old coins and other targets in the coin range in my own back yard which I’ve been hunting since 2009. I was using a modified version of Fast with Pitch tones set up with notches for coin shooting.

Today I wanted to confirm this program was working as good as I thought it was, so I took it to a curb strip next to an old park where I’ve had good luck in the past. Ended up getting some clad, a wheat, a 45 Canadian cent and my 4th silver with the Deus 2. All from a 3ft wide curb strip that I’ve hunted countless times before. What I’ve noticed using this program is that just like the name says, it’s fast. It picks out coins near junk very well. Surprisingly, it’s also pretty deep. The wheat was easily 8”. But what I really like the most is how pitch tones makes the targets jump out at you. What I mean is a good target that may sound iffy in other audio modes sounds much better in pitch. As a side benefit, with pitch operating like VCO, it makes it really easy to spot the deeper coins.

Bottlecap reject 4 or 5

Go hunt your trashiest, iron infested site that has produced for you in the past. Let us know how it goes!

Yep, you have caught on and quick.
I will even say this.
It may not be some other detectors are not seeing and giving tone. But to me seems other detectors if they are giving tone/ID it is skewed so a detectorist is none the wiser.

Good info coming from you, no doubt.

Bottlecap reject 4 or 5

Thanks Rattle! I just programmed it into my remote. I’ll give it a try this weekend.

TNSS,
That’s what I was thinking too. Those targets were probably hit by other detectors but produced sketchy signals. Pitch mode just makes them say “dig me” a little bit more. It’s a unique type of audio for sure.

NCtoad,
Looking forward to hearing your results!

That's impressive Rattle! No offense to anybody else, but post like this in a place hunted to death with many detectors to me are the best test. Bad dirt, and you gave your settings. Bravo!

Back
Top Bottom