White's Spectra V3 Field Reports

It sounds unusual for EMI to cause such a solid response at +95. EMI has a tendency to be much more random than that. ...

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Yeah, I know it is usually much more random in responses, but am a loss for what else it could be. I mean, if he is standing there with the coil held 3 feet in the air, there is no way it is a hot rock or ground issue. It has to be some kind of outside interference, or defective equipment.

Dave

Question - I dont know how to use Hotrock reject.

On my xlt ,I rejected +95 to eliminate hotrocks.

On the V3 "hot rock reject" , I am confused . is - 10 the strongest rejection , however I may break up on some good signals in the +84 to + 94 range? vdi range?

This is a great question Horocks and I believe the answer is just as confusing as on the DFX.

-10 on the V3 is a setting that tells the logic on the V3 to just ignore anything in the +95 range. The strongest rejection is actually at +10. Confusing right! So put simple if you do not want any feedback at all, set it to -10. It will not break up any signals in the +93 to +94 area. If you are running in single frequency it can break up a deep target that is wrapping around to the negatives. Hmmm? Sorry, thats about as clear as mud. :lol:

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it is usually much more random in responses, but am a loss for what else it could be. I mean, if he is standing there with the coil held 3 feet in the air, there is no way it is a hot rock or ground issue. It has to be some kind of outside interference, or defective equipment.

Dave

Hey Dave, if you have another coil to switch to, try the same test. This is an interesting response your getting.

It is actually me with this problem. Will try when I get out there again. It is only at certain parks, and can clear up when I move, but just putting HRR at 10 means I never have to think about it. Since I hunt usually with Best Data and have never found a keeper at +95, I just took the lazy way out and made it part of my stock program. I did not realize there could be keepers at +95 with the lower frequency, and that may change my thinking on this.

Happens with the 950. I have the Super 12 as well, which I find to be noisier, so I'd expect the same thing, but will try.

Increasing Rx Gain in High Trash...

I mentioned earlier that I've hunted the HT program with only the 2.5kHz frequency and liked it because of the increased depth.

Today, I got in another trashy area and decided to experiment a bit with the factory HT program. The ground was very mineralized and the recommended Rx gain was three. I was able to hunt just fine at 5 (with disc sens = 80), and decided to push the envelope a bit. I increased the Rx gain to 13 with no problems, other than an occasional "blip" in the headset if I stubbed the coil. Depth increased dramatically, as one might expect.

Just sharing.

BTW: I really like all the input from everyone here. I'm putting together a set of notes (lovingly called "The Book of Jack") with everyone's positive feedback. It's unedited and contains tidbits from a couple of forums...with credits.

If anyone wants it in Word format (anytime), just drop me a PM with your email address and I'll forward the "work in progress".

I did some testing with the concentric coil switch. I used my 950 Eclipse for the DFX. I was able to run the V3 a little hotter with less EMI interference, just as everyone had mentioned, but I did notice a decrease in detection depth. I know everyone's results vary based on soil conditions, etc. But, just wanted to throw that out there for information purposes.

Dave

hot rocks

First let me put a disclaimer in here as this is my understanding of what is going on with the Hot Rock Accept Control and Hot Rocks in general. But then I have been told that I know nothing or at least that’s what I claim all the time. So here is my take on this subject of Hot Rocks.

A hot rock for the V3 is considered iron or target below the phase/VDI number of the ground balance after balancing to the ground. These targets are to be considered cold rocks in the Gold prospecting world and hot rocks are above the ground balance point. On the V3 a hot rock/target below the ground balance point and these can include targets that wrap around the corner to the -95, -94 region on the Spectragraph. This is one reason for the for the wrap option in the correlate mode.

The Hot Rock Accept control (Off, -10..0..+10) as follows:

OFF: When off the part of the software that does Hot Rock Accept is bypassed and not even used so the phase/VDI number is reported and displayed as to where they will come in at usually a VDI reading of –95…. –90 or at least in my area that’s where most of them come in at.

-10: When set to –10 the target/Hot Rock will be thrown into +95 and the audio has be decremented for this target. +95 VDI should be displayed.

0: When set to 0 display reports +95, however the audio is a do nothing state by not decrementing or incrementing the target audio and not sounding off for this target. Originally this was set up this way so the audio would not decrement or increment when the target signal was being analyzed and a target had multiple vdi reading. This way the target audio response should not suffer due to the +95 hot rock response.

+10: When set to +10 the target/Hot Rock will be thrown into +95 and the audio has be incremented for this target. +95 VDI should be displayed.

The settings between –10 and +10 provides different amounts of decrementing or incrementing for the audio response of +95 signals.

Something to keep in mind is that iron can show up as +95 response as it is very dependent on where the ground balance point is in phase/VDI and if the dirt is mineralized and skewing the response of the iron to the region of being a Hot Rock. Or I should say this is what I have seen in my area.

Also I have not seen a lot of targets wrap around the corner when using Best Data, as usually the strongest signal of the three frequencies should be fairly close for that particular target. However, I have seen the other two frequencies that were weaker wrap around the corner. As far as single frequency goes, the targets may wrap corner.

Another way to deal with this is to accept the –95, -94 area and how many of these negative numbers a person can accept will be dependant on where the ground phase/VDI comes in at.

Ok I have already typed on this to much for now and I am starting to ramble so take care and happy hunting.

rcsnake
Bob@Whites

question on v3 sound? curious

Hey Guys,

I have a question you might be able to help on. Can you run wireless & the cord headphones at the same time. I would like to let my daughter hear what i am hearing. Is this possible or will I have to run a splitter on the corded phones..

I have not picked up the V3 yet, pooling funds..

Thanks

Prosise

Thanks for the hotrock lesson.

I'm gonna need to take some extra Ginko Biloba ,and it may sink in.

Hey Guys,

I have a question you might be able to help on. Can you run wireless & the cord headphones at the same time. I would like to let my daughter hear what i am hearing. Is this possible or will I have to run a splitter on the corded phones..

I have not picked up the V3 yet, pooling funds..

Thanks

Prosise

The V3 does have the ability to run corded headphones and the wireless at the same time so both people can hear the sounds at the same time. This did come in real handy when we were testing the V3 as we were able to hear what the other person was hearing on the same target. This was really nice at the beach and in other noisy environments. What was even nicer we did not have to be right next to the person, especially if they didn’t take a shower for a few days. LOL.

rcsnake

The V3 does have the ability to run corded headphones and the wireless at the same time so both people can hear the sounds at the same time. This did come in real handy when we were testing the V3 as we were able to hear what the other person was hearing on the same target. This was really nice at the beach and in other noisy environments. What was even nicer we did not have to be right next to the person, especially if they didn’t take a shower for a few days. LOL.

rcsnake

Now to me that is a really cool feature!!:cool::yes:

You should also be able to run any number of cordless headphones at the same time as well, so long as they are all tuned to the same frequency, is this correct? If so, perhaps one of these sages could give a deep silver class to wannabes like me ...:lol:

You should also be able to run any number of cordless headphones at the same time as well, so long as they are all tuned to the same frequency, is this correct? If so, perhaps one of these sages could give a deep silver class to wannabes like me ...:lol:

Yes the V3 can be set up for any number of headphones as long as they are on the same channel and connected with the headphone option.

rcsnake

Bummer, polarized sunglasses dont like the V3.

First thing I ran into is the screen does not like polarized sunglasses. Blacks out the screen, some kind of light filtering issue with the lens on the V3. All I have is Polarized sunglasses. :?:

Prosise

First thing I ran into is the screen does not like polarized sunglasses. Blacks out the screen, some kind of light filtering issue with the lens on the V3. All I have is Polarized sunglasses. :?:

Prosise

My wife and I just put this to the test in direct sunlight and in the shade. The display looks great with polarized glasses on! You have something else going on prosise. Try adjusting your brightness. I have mine at the lowest setting. This is not a problem with the display.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Jack,

Did you or your wife try rotating your sun glasses while doing the experiment?
I think the V3 screen uses a polarizer to tame glare. It could be that the polarization angle of your glasses aligns just so with the polarizer on the V3, whereas prosise's glasses does not.

Jack,

Did you or your wife try rotating your sun glasses while doing the experiment?
I think the V3 screen uses a polarizer to tame glare. It could be that the polarization angle of your glasses aligns just so with the polarizer on the V3, whereas prosise's glasses does not.

i tried tilting my head and I can see the screen but it is a little hard to read. Not crystal clear like without sunglasses. but is better, I might have to pick up some cheapy sunglasses that are not polarized. by the way, my sunglasses are maui jims.. \

prosise

Back
Top Bottom