Coin Popping

ozarkhunter

Prompted by a couple of replies by Mud-puppy, I decided to try using a screwdriver to locate and pop coins out of the ground rather than using my digging tool. I have plenty of room for improvement, but have been trimming my digging time and leaving much less visible evidence of a hole in the ground since I started using this method.

I am working places that I am primarily finding clad coins deposited in the past 20 years or less (according to dates on most of the coins). Many of my finds are within 2" of the surface, while I still dig deeper signals when I can't get the screwdriver to do the trick.

I ground all of the 90 degree edges off of the screwdriver to decrease the risk of gouging/scratching coins. I have found a screwdriver with a shaft around 1/8" thick works better for me than a thicker shaft. I am better able to "feel" the coin and discriminate between a coin and a piece of say, gravel.

I have been able to successfully locate and pop dimes at 2" with fair consistency. While coins on their edge offer a bit more challenge, I have been able to pop quarters, copper pennies and dimes resting on their edge. I'm finding a bit more pleasure in retrieving clad this way than with my digging tool, but will revert back to the digger when I have a strong, consistent signal that I can't dig/pop with the screwdriver.

The primary grass around these parts is Bermuda grass. The root system of Bermuda can be challenging at times. Just when I think the coin is about to break the surface the roots foil my progress. I take an odd pleasure in seeing a chocolate brown quarter pop a couple inches in the air out of a hole not much more than twice the width of the coin.

Popping shallow coins with a screwdriver is a good trick to get a fast recovery. Another trick is to just slide your pinpointer on the top of the ground sideways in a sweeping pattern until it chirps. Use the screwdriver to locate and pop out the targets. This technique worked well for me along the concrete of an old swimming pool where there was likely to be a high density of coins and jewelry. It won't get much depth, but all the targets are in reach of the screwdriver. Good luck!

We're there any specific videos or tutorials you found better than others on this topic?

I've seen some where the coin is pinpointed, then the user pushes the screwdriver into the dirt a few inches or so away from said target and then prys it out of the ground?

Thanks.

While my cheap BH pointer leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to distance, it is really good at finding and popping coins in soft dirt. I use it just like a probe until I get it near enough to the coin to get a tone. This is really useful for me in tot lots and other mulch covered areas.

BCD

I did my first popping last week and got a nice amount of coins in a short time. (rain was enroute)

It takes practice but is a very efficient method when mastered. I'm not as good as Mud, I often use a pinpointer to help me zero in. I'm getting better and can grab clad pretty quick without digging plugs.

Be careful with the screwdrivers. I got a garden digging tool and removed the spade. This left just the handle and the stem, which is about the size of a decent screwdriver. I rounded the corners and made the end somewhat blunt. You don't want to scratch the shallow silver coins. Works like a charm.

Congratulations on your success! Yes, those thin blades allow for a real nice 'feel' a guy does not have to really worry about scratching anything, your hands get really sensitive like Ozark said.

You can tell when you touch a coin or a piece of glass or aluminum or gravel...entirely different feel...then just retract the point a quarter inch above the coin and wow out a hole through those tough roots just big enough to get your finger down in there, tip the coin on edge and pull it straight up!

We've all seen heavy coin damage done by traditional diggers, no way a guy could wreck a coin to that extent with a driver...It takes just a bit of practice and commitment, like maybe a month, and you are good to go with this method forever...Very fast, and leaves NO trace at all...
Mud

I have been coin popping for a few years at my local park - regs say no digging.

I use an 8" screwdriver - i rounded off all sharp edges with a grinder. So far i have never scratched a coin yet.

Its an easy, quick method to use in areas where you dont want/not permitted to dig.

When I was new at this, I didnt get to see any of those 'Coin Popping' videos....I met an old guy who told me to 'master the screwdriver' thats all he said, so I had to develop my own method. He told me to "dig 1000 pennies and 1000 pulltabs with nothing but a screwdriver"...Best advice I ever got!

I dont pry or pop, no handheld pinpointer, no using the PP button on the rig either, no kneeling, just a fast comfortable "StoopNStab" technique. I stab straight down and ream out a hole right above the coin....all situations are different, fresh drops, you rake that driver through the grass at a shallow angle and can "feel" the tic when you hit a coin...stomp the spot with your foot sometimes when you hear a coin on edge...

Theres no faster retrieval tool for a clad grabber than a driver...You will trip across some silvers along the way, just on account of the sheer numbers of coins you are pulling...'ping to pouch in less than 10 sec' is the goal, and it is easy to pull well over 200 targets a day/40+per hour with nothing but a cheap old screwdriver and your finger...so that also condenses the learning curve..

Good thing is most of these kind of places are unhuntable for a guy with a trowel...grass roots are too tough, its too slow, and you will get the boot or arrested if you try it!:laughing:

I also must say, if you really want to be fast, you gotta have a light fast rig, something that gives you FULL TONES...so you can whip through a place and be able to tell a penny from a dime, a dime from a Q, a Q from a half, stacks, slanted spills, multidenom spills/stacks/slants, all by AUDIO without looking at a screen...

You run with NO Disc, or a super low disc,...you want to hear it all to find the heavy drop zones, you dont diddle around at all sniping singletons in low pay dirt areas...or scanning and pinpointing, you find places that are clad heavy, hit the tone, hop that coil, stoop and stab that mutherhubbard and move on!.....10k coins per year is easy...Monster cladding is a subset skill within this Sport...its not for everybody...but by gosh is it FUN!:laughing:
Mud

Attachments

• dec 11-15-4.jpg
    dec 11-15-4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 708
  • field of dreams-3.jpg
    field of dreams-3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 658
  • dec 11-15-1.jpg
    dec 11-15-1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 685
  • field of dreams-4.jpg
    field of dreams-4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
When I first started --I popped a lot of coins out of the ground at some of the local parks... ONe time -I popped a gold ring out!!! It's actually not a bad way to hunt.. But most of the time I hunt farm fields--so it's the Lesche and Garrett PP for me :cool:

Congratulations on your success! Yes, those thin blades allow for a real nice 'feel' a guy does not have to really worry about scratching anything, your hands get really sensitive like Ozark said.

You can tell when you touch a coin or a piece of glass or aluminum or gravel...entirely different feel...then just retract the point a quarter inch above the coin and wow out a hole through those tough roots just big enough to get your finger down in there, tip the coin on edge and pull it straight up!

We've all seen heavy coin damage done by traditional diggers, no way a guy could wreck a coin to that extent with a driver...It takes just a bit of practice and commitment, like maybe a month, and you are good to go with this method forever...Very fast, and leaves NO trace at all...

Mud

I call for videos on coin popping and other type extractions! How about it.

Out of curiosity, I took the time to watch a lot of these youtube coin popping vids...I do NOTHING like that at all!....'Clad Stabbing' is more descriptive of how I do it.."Stoop N Stab" type of deal...no kneeling, except for ones that are 4" or more...and then its only on one knee...so its like a really fast genuflect..faster than tying a shoe even...you first stoop n stab, then drop down to one knee if you have to...

90% of the coins are just stoop N stabbed...like a giraffe taking a drink, forearms on your knees, very stable and solid stance, no great stress on any body part in particular, so its not tiring or hurty on the back or anywhere else....

I swing and get a ping, then I 'hop coil' over it to center, really fast vertical coil action like a drummer, bambambam, until the signal is sharp and centered in a golf ball sized profile, then stoop, stab, ream, retract...faster than it took me to type this paragraph...

All motions are very fluid and easy with a purpose and focus on speed..

Maybe someday I can do a vid of it, I dont have any of the vid gear or knowhow, so it will have to be an event where somebody is there and can do it for me....

Probably the most helpful thing is my gear...the F70, with DP tones and proportional audio...set up light to only hit targets to 5". From the very first ping, I know what it is and how deep by audio alone, so I dont have to diddle around and look at a screen, push the PP button, or think about anything..just centering the target audibly and stabbing it fast...the light settings keep the profile tight, if you are running too hot, the profile is too large to stab fast....Yes you get gold rings along the way, silver too just on account of the sheer numbers harvested hunting in heavy drop zones where all this clad is....

Greatest challenge is finding a clad heavy area, so you are not swinging over barren ground...timed myself once in a heavy clad carpet of 2" targets in the grass roots.....70 coins in a half hour..you do want stacks, those sure drive down your time/target ratio...

I did a post back Dec 12th on the 'Coinshooters' thread called "Heres the Take/Roi" on a run that is pretty descriptive of how I roll...367 coins in 7hrs for 54.86, plus two silver rosies..it shows the gear and more detail about the situation....if you want to stab clad, and do an easy 10k coin year, you gotta be pulling a coin/minute....a super fast retrieval method is the key...
Mud

Attachments

• dec 11-15-1.jpg
    dec 11-15-1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 512
  • dec 11-15-2.jpg
    dec 11-15-2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 560
  • dec 11-15-3.jpg
    dec 11-15-3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I took the time to watch a lot of these youtube coin popping vids...I do NOTHING like that at all!....

Maybe someday I can do a vid of it, I dont have any of the vid gear or knowhow, so it will have to be an event where somebody is there and can do it for me....

Mud

Yeah but you still gotta love "The Fossicker" Did you notice his patented coin popping thumb nail? Bet you don't have one of those! :laughing:

I can make a vid for ya when you come out to see the whales. :yes: I haven't done very many videos but I can do it......sorta lol.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo2FkqU2e9L2nSVGeM6XO2w

Yeah but you still gotta love "The Fossicker" Did you notice his patented coin popping thumb nail? Bet you don't have one of those! :laughing:

Yep! The 'Fossicker Thumbnail' is well known and derived from dedication and years of commitment in the Ancient Shaolin art of Clad Popping!

However, Without any proper Sensei to show me the ropes, I didnt know any better, and went all Sun Sue on this discipline, all 'stabby instead of poppy'...I only use my one pointer finger....

I will say, a guy can drive an experienced dirt digit right down through frost, rocks, an 1/8 plate of steel, humanoid rib cage, pumpkin, asphault, or anything else for that matter...I use the same finger to punch holes in a burnbarrel!...a guy just has to be a bit careful with it when deeply mining a nostril or employing it as an instrument to clean other body apertures...
Mud

Back
Top Bottom