Real or Not? The Verdict IS (seen last post)

I did take a photo before doing anything. Tonight I took a Cape Cod metal polishing cloth to it and you can see the before and after. It actually looks better than the photos. I will find out soon as I can if it is gold. On thing to mention is this beach has finds dating from the 15th century. It is quite possible this ring is hundreds of years old and was blasted up in the dunes until it made its way into the wet sand. There were landings and skirmishes all up the Ga coast and the Fl coast also. What would 400 years of sand do to a gold ring? To add, it is NOT magnetic. I am not sure where that started.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
We all pulling for you you know. ;) I am only going by what I've found and seeing from others finds. Btw, Brass shines up pretty good looking like gold! :shock: I found this bracelet 5 years ago...polish that baby up, Brought it to my jeweler only to tell me is brass after acid tested! :( Two or three days later, It started to darken!

PI thanks, I know you all are pulling for it to be gold. You guys are a great family and support us newbies. PI that is a really nice bracelet. I like that! You said you shined it up. It does not gleam gold though. Gold would have shined smooth bright yellow and your bracelet does not. We will see but my ring does shine like gold, see how smooth it is now? You can see the difference between the two. I think it is a real old gold ring, probably 9K. In the US I hear we start at 10K as a standard. I think it is English gold and is old. Test soon!

Last edited:
Seems like if it was brass and someone did for some odd reason pay to resize it they would use a bronze brazing rod instead of silver.I did find a possible Colonial button where mine was found once.

Seems like if it was brass and someone did for some odd reason pay to resize it they would use a bronze brazing rod instead of silver.I did find a possible Colonial button where mine was found once.

You can barely see where mine was sized after cleaning now. The joint stood out before and the solder was shiny gold while the ring was duller. It was not re-sized using silver solder. Now it all looks smooth gold after using a simple polishing cloth, you have to look hard to see it. :p Brass my A$$. :laughing:

Last edited:
Whatever the heck it is, I like it!

And ... I was told there would be donuts and popcorn here?

Are there no donuts!!!??

:lol: All Ima did was get me interested in collecting any signet ring i find.My favorite bottles are bitters bottles.Guess my favorite jewelry is gonna be non brass signet rings:laughing:

PI thanks, I know you all are pulling for it to be gold. You guys are a great family and support us newbies. PI that is a really nice bracelet. I like that! You said you shined it up. It does not gleam gold though. Gold would have shined smooth bright yellow and your bracelet does not. We will see but my ring does shine like gold, see how smooth it is now? You can see the difference between the two. I think it is a real old gold ring, probably 9K. In the US I hear we start at 10K as a standard. I think it is English gold and is old. Test soon!

I should have mention that the pics you see there is darken. This brass shined just like gold.

I am just back from the jewelers and had the ring tested. He said it is 100% authentic brass alloy. :laughing::laughing::laughing: Dang, I am going to have to eat crow on this one. Brass. Another lesson learned, I will know better next time! On the other hand the watch is 100% ........ (you have to go to that thread to see.....) :D http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=126658&page=4

Gee I forgot all about your ring once I saw the results of your watch find. I'm still going too put my ring in the gold pile for now until I take it to my jeweler friend and we test together. Maybe the other gold rings will convert this one;)

I am just back from the jewelers and had the ring tested. He said it is 100% authentic brass alloy. :laughing::laughing::laughing: Dang, I am going to have to eat crow on this one. Brass. Another lesson learned, I will know better next time! On the other hand the watch is 100% ........ (you have to go to that thread to see.....) :D http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=126658&page=4

So Ima what was the actual result of the scratch test. Did the brass just stay put like 10K gold would have or did it dissolve?

You can barely see where mine was sized after cleaning now. The joint stood out before and the solder was shiny gold while the ring was duller. It was not re-sized using silver solder. Now it all looks smooth gold after using a simple polishing cloth, you have to look hard to see it. :p Brass my A$$. :laughing:

So you a$$ is brass? You sure about that? Might want to get it tested. Tell ya what, send you a$$ to Craig...he'll test it for ya:D

Ima... we all hope each yellow ring is gold but Joe and I have dug plenty and we are generally on the same page when seeing rings that look like yours does... gold rarely pits unless it was plated.. I was even going to offer to eat a can of mighty dog dog food if I was wrong... we could have had Joe video tape it... :D

Ima... we all hope each yellow ring is gold but Joe and I have dug plenty and we are generally on the same page when seeing rings that look like yours does... gold rarely pits unless it was plated.. I was even going to offer to eat a can of mighty dog dog food if I was wrong... we could have had Joe video tape it... :D

If you don't start finding some gold soon , that dog food might look pretty tasty :p

Back
Top Bottom