Fiskar 'Big Grip' Digger Modifications..

sonofamahalla

I found these things on sale at one of our local stores for $5.99 / each. I've used one and really liked it, but thought it could be 'improved'. Since they're made 'inexpensively' there are a couple of 'weak areas' but once fixed, this is a FANTASTIC digger!

The first photo is 'BEFORE' modifications and is what you get from the store. It's Good, but a bit light and has no weld bead or 'tacks' on the front side. This can cause the blade to 'bend away' from the handle. Also the tip is 'forked' and does not cut through the ground as well as a 'solid, pointed' tip and has a penchant for scratching coins.

I modified two (2) of them...(second photo) One for myself and one to give away to a MD club member.

The one with the original handle (top in second photo) is the one I am giving away (orange handle with tag still on it). I tacked the front handle and blade and filled in the forked tip with Stainless steel. The unit is MUCH stronger now and the only problem might be the handle itself. The Handle is a good durable plastic, but it is epoxied over-top of a 'T' shaped piece of steel that is welded to the middle piece (finger guard) and if not 'welded properly', the handle could break off from the blade. Fortunately this is a 'production flaw' and is very 'apparent' in the first few uses, so it's covered by warranty and easily replaced. Anyway...

The one that I modified for myself is the one with the 'Black Rubber Handle'. The modification are basically identical to the first one but I 'Removed' the original handle and replaced it with a 6" piece of 5/8" O.D round Steel Tube. The wall thickness is 3/16" so it adds some 'nice weight' and is quite simple to 'weld' to the finger guard. The Black handle material is a Mountain Bike Grip and is easily found in the 'USED' bin at any bike repair shop! I bought 3 of them for $4.50 ($1.50 / each) and they are TREMENDOUSLY comfortable and easy on the hands when digging in 'any type' of terrain. You can easily put them on and pull them off with compressed air. The fit is VERY tight and makes for a nicely 'weighted' and very comfortable Digger.:D

Cheers,

Attachments

• 100_2366.jpg
    100_2366.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_6084.jpg
    IMG_6084.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_6064.jpg
    IMG_6064.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_6062.jpg
    IMG_6062.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_6071.jpg
    IMG_6071.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 783
  • IMG_6082.jpg
    IMG_6082.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_6083.jpg
    IMG_6083.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_6067.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 748
Last edited:
Looks great. Instead of welding the tip in mine I ground the notch out. I also sharpened the tip and knife edge. Mine works good.

Looks great. Instead of welding the tip in mine I ground the notch out. I also sharpened the tip and knife edge. Mine works good.

Thanks,... I thought about grounding down the tip as well, but I decided to add a bit more length to the blade by filling it in. The added weight of the 'Steel Pipe' handle definitely makes it easier to manipulate when cutting into the ground. Once it's welded up I put it into the vise and I sharpen it with a Dremel (the green sharpening bit) and it works pretty well. IF I'm feeling lazy I'll just use a light file.

Tack welding the blade on the 'regular handle' is definitely more of a challenge. The first time I did it, it got so HOT that I melted the 'epoxy' inside the handle and it basically fell right off:shock: What a freakin' mess! Since then, I've been Welding them upside down with the handle submerged in VERY cold water. Works like a charm.

Anyway, Glad to hear your digger's working out!

Cheers,:D

Have you tried it out? Is it easy on the palm?

Nice mod!! Thanks for sharing!:cool:

Hey Thanks!

Actually I got a chance to use it today and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! It was so much easier to manipulate the grass and dirt due to the added weight and comfortable rubber grip. I 'purposely' went to a Football/Soccer field that has about 40 years of grass roots (about 2.5" up here), you know, those REALLY nasty ones that grow through pull tabs to the point where they're just about impossible to remove.. Anyway, it worked great, so I'm going to put another one together (I bought eight of them when they were on sale) but this time I'll be using a 'Monster Grip' from a very serious Mountain Bike! It's about twice as thick and more 'oval in shape' so it fits between the fingers and palm, 'perfectly'. I would imagine it will be very comfortable to use and probably GREAT for someone who has long fingers or 'Arthritis' in their hands... I'll post a few photos when I'm finished this next one so you can see what I mean.

I don't use the Fiskars anymore but like you I had to replace the handle with a pipe. The original handle as you said is the only weak point. It is only tack or spot welded in four spots. I broke 2 before I modded it. Rob

I don't use the Fiskars anymore but like you I had to replace the handle with a pipe. The original handle as you said is the only weak point. It is only tack or spot welded in four spots. I broke 2 before I modded it. Rob

Yeah, they use a REALLY cheezy insert for the handle, but the blade and guard is quite good. Adding the extra weight with the 'Pipe Handle' like you did is definitely the ticket.

Cheers,:yes:

I know mine sometimes when digging I think I feel like it is going to snap. Then I back off with how much pressure I'm putting on it. If only I had the tools to do a nice mod like yours.

I know mine sometimes when digging I think I feel like it is going to snap. Then I back off with how much pressure I'm putting on it. If only I had the tools to do a nice mod like yours.

Yeah, the inside steel piece is similar to a very small piece of re-bar and it WILL flex and bend a bit. Fortunately, you can sorta' bend it back, but you're right... It certainly helps if you have the 'right tools' to be able to complete the 'Mod'.

Nice job on the IH Penny BTW! I'd love to find one of those up here...

Cheers,

:grin:

Thanks,... I thought about grounding down the tip as well, but I decided to add a bit more length to the blade by filling it in. The added weight of the 'Steel Pipe' handle definitely makes it easier to manipulate when cutting into the ground. Once it's welded up I put it into the vise and I sharpen it with a Dremel (the green sharpening bit) and it works pretty well. IF I'm feeling lazy I'll just use a light file.

Tack welding the blade on the 'regular handle' is definitely more of a challenge. The first time I did it, it got so HOT that I melted the 'epoxy' inside the handle and it basically fell right off:shock: What a freakin' mess! Since then, I've been Welding them upside down with the handle submerged in VERY cold water. Works like a charm.

Anyway, Glad to hear your digger's working out!

I realy like the idea of the pipe handle. Could you take a picture of this tool without the grip so I could see how you weldded the pipe to the blade. Thanks.

The original handle is a Cheesy setup. If you where to look from the back of the handle it would have a + cross section. It is attached with 4 small welds at the tip of each of the 4 ends. If you haven't broke off the handle you don't dig that hard. The pipe weld will solve the problem. You just butt the pipe to the back of the blade guard and weld around the circumference of the pipe. As I posted I broke 2 before I modified one.

The original handle is a Cheesy setup. If you where to look from the back of the handle it would have a + cross section. It is attached with 4 small welds at the tip of each of the 4 ends. If you haven't broke off the handle you don't dig that hard. The pipe weld will solve the problem. You just butt the pipe to the back of the blade guard and weld around the circumference of the pipe. As I posted I broke 2 before I modified one.

The original handle works fine for some. It really depends on whether or not it's welded properly and how much 'Serious' digging you're doing. I personally know 4 people (club members) that use the Fiskars diggers and haven't had any issues digging with it. If you have the weight and muscle to put behind it to lift out a 'nice plug', then you're better off with the modification. I have Both and they 'both' work fine, but of course the Pipe Handle Mod is by far the better of the two. With the Modification, It's possible to cut 5" to 6" deep plugs of almost any length and width. To be fair, I did have a brand new one that failed within half a dozen digs, but the other three that I now use, worked just fine outta' the package.

One thing that amazes me about the FISKARS is how 'HARD' that blade is! IT has a 'minimal' flex in the blade which allows you to put some 'serious weight' into the handle to life big plugs. The other thing that blows my mind is how EASY it is to 'slice' through ROOTS! I use a file to keep my edges sharp and I think that helps, but this thing is PSYCHO when it comes to those bloody roots...
Honestly, IF the blade wasn't of such Good quality, I probably wouldn't have even bothered with this Modification.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom