"Me a metal detector dealer" What ya think

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
Hi folks, I have been considering becoming a detector dealer for quite some time. With times as hard as they are these days in the dairy business (as many of you know I am a dairy farmer) I figured now would be a great time to become a dealer. I have been in the hobby for around 30 years and really enjoy it, I gets lots of pm's several emails & phone calls with questions ranging from "is this a good detector, what is ground balancing and how do you do it, where is a good place to buy from.....etc..... I like helping out in any way I can and have come to know many nice folks all over the country doing so. As many of you know I wheel & deal alot and figure why not try to make a few $$$ doing something I like so well. I have been working with a distributor the last few days, I got about everything ready to go the only catch is that to get started I need to purchase and or sell three detectors. If I can't find three people to buy from me in the near future I will have to wait to I get my income tax return so I will have the money to purchase the detectors to resell. I will be able to sell Tesoro and Teknetics detectors and Bounty Hunter but I probably won't monkey with the Bounty Hunters. A few of you have delt with me one way or another from this forum and on other forums and I will continue to do business with you's the way I would want to be treated. I don't want to cut in on the paying sponsors of the forum and even though this sounds like an advertisement it is really meant to see what kind of response I would get, I want to hear your thoughts and opinions if it is something that you think is a good idea for me. If any of you want to tell me anything (good or bad) but don't want to do so in public, feel free to send me an email at [email protected] Thanks! Steve.

Back in the day (1985) I became a satellite dealer and called my business Yours 2 C Satellite Systems I got the name from if I put in a satellite system for ya (Yours) you would be able to see (C) about anything you wanted. I have been toying with the name Yours 2 Dig Metal Detectors if I do become a dealer, what ya think.

P.S. I passed this message by the forum owners and got the ok before posting. Thanks Vlad & Carol.

Well, you've got enough experience with different brands and models of detectors to be knowledgeable, to be sure!
If I were shopping for a new detector I'd have no problem buying from you. Not really looking right now as my vaquero is beeping along just fine.

Seriously, i thought you WERE one too, clearly not for Garrett though...:lol::lol::lol:
You should be able to sell that quota, you have in the past. Go for it, you KNOW every Tesoro machine ever made!

Give it a shot.I think it's something you would enjoy doing.Good Luck
I would really enjoy it & one of the best parts is getting to know different people that enjoy the hobby as I do. I got a number of people that I have done business with from on forums that I keep in contact with.

Steve, you should absolutely do it. You have alot of knowledge and experience. The biggest factor is you are very friendly.... Except when you are discussing ACE 250's...:lol: I wish you would have said something to me before I bought my Cibola. I would have gladly bought it from you for helping me out by answering my questions.

If you become a dealer, let me know. If I can get clearance from my surgeon (after my surgery) to get back to swinging, I would buy from you.

I wouldn't knock out the Bounty Hunter's though. I know that a lot of people knock them, but a lot of people have them in their signatures also. I think that there are a lot of people who would want to purchase a lower priced machine from a dealer who knows what they are talking about instead of from a big box store where you get someone who hasn't even looked at the box before. (Plus, from sales experience it's a lot easier to bump someone up to a "better" brand if you have a lower brand to start with).

Go for it! I hope it works for you.

Doug

If you become a dealer, let me know. If I can get clearance from my surgeon (after my surgery) to get back to swinging, I would buy from you.

I wouldn't knock out the Bounty Hunter's though. I know that a lot of people knock them, but a lot of people have them in their signatures also. I think that there are a lot of people who would want to purchase a lower priced machine from a dealer who knows what they are talking about instead of from a big box store where you get someone who hasn't even looked at the box before. (Plus, from sales experience it's a lot easier to bump someone up to a "better" brand if you have a lower brand to start with).

Go for it! I hope it works for you.

Doug
The thing about Bounty Hunters is not that I don't like them it is that I don't know anything about them and I would want to know about whatever it is I am selling.

I was a multi-line dealer for a short time but didn't stick with it. I also had to purchase three Tesoros, but all other brands it was either one unit (Troy), or in most cases none to start, my dist. would just drop ship any order.

After you buy the initial three and become a dealer can you order a single unit, or do they always have to come in a group of three? That makes a huge difference in how much money you have to tie up to meet the needs of your customers and be a successful dealer. If you always need to order three I think you have more thinking to do, but if you can do one then just order three lower end/starter units to keep the investment low. You'll see that will be the majority of what you sell, and it tends to be more effort then it worth considering the profit margin on a $200 unit. But if you're the type that likes to talk detecting and helping people out, and won't feel like it's a bother repeating the same type newbie stuff over and over, then it could work out well.

Please tell me that you could possibly offer international shipping also :) please.... lots of people here in Mauritius are getting interested in the hobby but its so hard to find a good dealer who can offer such service :)

I can understand where you are coming from with the dairy business right now, I sold out my dairy in 2004 and just have crops now thanks goodness! I wish you the best of luck though. I don't know anything about the brand you are looking into either as I have minelab and garrett. If you ever start selling sunray coils I am interested in getting one for my Etrac. :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom