White's MX Sport mini review

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
I thought I would share with folks,,,some of my preliminary thoughts about this detector.

It is built very solid IMO.

Coil ears on stock coil very good-- only coil I have

As far as how it feels,,, if a Deus weighed about 1.5 lbs more-- would feel similar with how the handle and angle are designed.

Navigating the menu-- not hard,,after a few times of roaming around,,one will get the hang of it.

This detector seems to thrive moreso in higher mineral ground vs F75 series.

My detector does have the 8 levels for SAT-- this was done as part of a firmware update,,btw mine was purchased in this condition.

Recovery speed,,using hyper 8 SAT setting is pretty quick,,,and this detector can definitely hunt in iron and modern trash.

I will be using this detector pretty hot and heavy-- weather permitting,,and hopefully will have more info to share.

I like it very much-- for what it cost.

Glad to hear you like it! UPS is supposed to be dropping of mine tomorrow. :D I'll post a review after I have a chance to use it for a while.

I think you will like it..

Look forward to seeing what you have to say about it.

I'm hoping I will! I couldn't make up my mind on the purchase until I spoke with Dominique Ivy Da Silva (from the Silverslingers on YouTube). She absolutely loves hers and had nothing but good things to say about it, so I went for it. It's such a cool looking machine and I think I will like the ability to manipulate settings so easily. I also think the reject audio feature will be extremely valuable. Can't wait!!!

TNSharpshooter, hope you don't have many plans for this Wednesday. I'd love to get up with you, weather permitting! Nice to see you have another unit to add to the collection!

Additional info.

Detector performs above average in higher mineral soil,,,this based on my comparing to other detectors,,some flagships I currently have past and present.

Pinpoint depth meter seems to very good,,accuracy wise.

Detector seems to yield good depth,,even at lower sensitivity levels,,,Max setting can it seems cause targets to sound a bit washed out.

Recovery seems to be good,,,but higher SAT levels,,using are key.

Audio modulation--- this part of this detector,,,falls short here,,for 2 reasons,,number 1 the tone volume provided doesn't seem to be graduated linearly,,,meaning you get quite louder tone,,,and at one point tone goes quieter.

And number 2,, tone provide when audio modulation is selected,,tone quality seems is compromised vs having modulation off.

VCO--the information provided when using,,,when comparing to some of my other detectors,,,this detector not the norm here. It seems this detector when vco is engaged,,,shallower targets,,a signal is provided before and after specific tone of the target in question,,not the actual rise and fall of the tone itself.

My unit btw,,by all accounts does have updated firmware.

Still testing and using this detector,,,but high temps have slowed this process.

Cheers.

have you checked the screen for cracks ? seems to be the buzz going around on the forums one day fine the next corners of screen cracked.

have you checked the screen for cracks ? seems to be the buzz going around on the forums one day fine the next corners of screen cracked.

After noticing this on my unit and contacting Whites, they have the fix for the plastic cover for the screens. Mary was very friendly and said I could send it now or at the end of the season and that the stress cracks won't cause a leak. They immediately sent me a paid shipping label and said expect them to have it about 2 day so with travel time there and back should be a turnaround of about a week. While I'm not excited about the issue, I'm pleased with Whites' response. Otherwise the machine has no firmware issues and is a joy to use. It hammers on nickels and scored me my key date V in an area I had gridded pretty tight with the AT pro. Not that the ATP didn't hear it, it probably just didn't sound as good or it was the angle I came at it from. It was on edge with a couple nails pretty close. Good luck and HH!

Go ahead and dunk it the buzz going on is their leaking too ,would be better to know now rather than later when in the field hunting.As long as your happy thats what counts but Ive read alot of post on this detector and cant really find alot of good. Even with the upgraded firmware it causes the pinpoint feature to mess up true? something about the volume going down when you change a setting, but theres been alot of buzz about it leaking all over the forums.

Go ahead and dunk it the buzz going on is their leaking too ,would be better to know now rather than later when in the field hunting.As long as your happy thats what counts but Ive read alot of post on this detector and cant really find alot of good. Even with the upgraded firmware it causes the pinpoint feature to mess up true? something about the volume going down when you change a setting, but theres been alot of buzz about it leaking all over the forums.

Not had any issues with pinpoint or volume. I read and have been keeping up with the buzz, but there's not a huge number of people with issues. There are several LOUD people with issues. It's the old internet echo chamber effect. I researched extensively as I do with any purchase and still came to the conclusion that this was the best machine for MY money. Most of the negative I've read is a few people that continue to bash and post led by a couple who have little cult followings. Weird if you ask me. I'll stick with a proven company's track record over several decades before a couple attention seekers on the web.

My unit indeed has the cracks.

I beleive it has other problems too.

Unit is still useable.

I am waiting for better guidance,info,,and feedback on this particular detector,,before I even think about sending it in.

Cheers

Thats funny! If what your saying was true then why would whites suspend the sales of this unit? I dont believe what you said for one minute there are legit post made by everyday people who spent their hard earned money. Whats weird is the people who are so brand loyal they wont admit when a company has done something wrong. Do you work for whites? Or are you just brand loyal? There are complaints all over the internet about this unit if your reading this go search it out for yourself.

Easy there slick. Not sure where you heard they suspended sales, but a link would be appreciated if that's the case. I really couldn't give two squirts whether you believe what I say or not. I don't work for Whites and am not brand loyal to the point of making up stuff as you seem to be suggesting. As I said earlier, I looked at every post on the net before my purchase and came to the conclusion that the noise was mostly a few people, on Dankowski mostly, the main complainer seemed Bi-polar and smart as a rock, having a fit over an issue that they didn't even understand. Not sure what you're warning me about? Whites has spent decades, DECADES, building a reputation of great machines with great customer service. Some loud mouths, most of whom don't even own the machine, (yourself included I'm afraid), don't change the history or intent of the company. If I have issues with my machine and Whites fails to satisfactorily resolve them, maybe I'll sell off my machine and change my opinion of them. Until then I'll let their service TO ME and others over decades of building top notch detectors guide me. Glad you didn't waste your money on a colossal POS and am sure you know exactly what you're talking about....:roll:

Just to make sure I was correct, I did another search "whites mx sport leak". Saw Two threads about leaks. TWO. How many units do you think are out there Calabash? A few thousand? Twenty thousand? Fifty thousand? Even amongst those with problems, most say Whites are doing what they need to to correct the issues. Some, including the OP of this thread while on Dankowski seem to feel that Whites is setting a smoke screen about what's actually going on. To a certain extent they may not know exactly which units do and don't have issues with screen cracking. Let's say the screen covers were manufactured in lots of 500. The manufacturer sends you lots of 500 because that's how many they can make in a day. When you put these screen covers on the detectors, maybe they don't get used up directly in order of production lots. Maybe Joe Blow on the line is just grabbing random boxes and chucking them in the assembly machines. Do you recall all the machines or do your best to satisfy the customers who have units with issues? It's kind of like amazon reviews. There's 300 five star reviews on a product and always the ten or so one star reviews who say "it's the worst thing I've ever owned". Those few one stars get thrown out via the law of averages. Early adopters of any electronic device take the chance of teething issues. The Iphone antenna issue comes to mind. Still no word of suspended sales so I'm not sure where that came from. Still waiting to see a link to that info.

Thats funny! If what your saying was true then why would whites suspend the sales of this unit? I dont believe what you said for one minute there are legit post made by everyday people who spent their hard earned money. Whats weird is the people who are so brand loyal they wont admit when a company has done something wrong. Do you work for whites? Or are you just brand loyal? There are complaints all over the internet about this unit if your reading this go search it out for yourself.

I really for the life of me can't understand why so many seem to have a hornet up their skirt every time someone reports their MXS works properly. And what's more is most don't even own one. I'm only 10 months into this hobby and only about 15 hours with the MXS so I usually don't offer up too much in the way of reviews, there are many here like Oldsjunkie who are far more experienced than myself that can offer up a better review. But I will say that I am not experiencing any of these issues, not to say I wont but haven't yet. I have had my MXS submerged every hunt so far and no leaks, no screen cracking, no problems with volume or pinpoint function. My machine still needs the firmware update too. I will send mine in for update and have confidence that White's will take care of it. Maybe next time you post in the review of a machine you can do it on a machine you have actually used..... And maybe refrain from calling others who have liars..... Just makes you look ignorant.

If I offended anyone im sorry just almost bought one these and have been following post about them along the way and maybe Im the one being taken by bad info? contacted a guy who works for whites will get back to you on the sales .Are they listed as out of stock on the whites forum? Didnt mean to be so touchy but was just having a conversation earlier about people doing reviews the Paid people and how they always give you the good and not the bad.

Back
Top Bottom