AT Pro V 2.2 Water mods and more...

Ice Scratcher

Elite Member
Last season I posted some of my mods including...

The rubber baby bumper mod...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=168564

And the streamlining the shaft for water mod...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=165995

Well not too long ago my 5x8 went to hell, I just got a new one from Garrett and I thought I would put up some more pics, and some of my latest mods as well...

I found they sell blue 3M tape so when I got my new coil I did it in blue.. Here it is as I used it today....

IMG_5884_zpsa47bb761.jpg

Some latest pictures of the shaft streamlining....

IMG_5885_zpsf8f5a862.jpg

IMG_5885_zpsf8f5a862.jpg

I also changed out the grip because I hated the soggy sponge one.. It would collapse when it got wet, and was really flimsy. Also when I would switch to dirt I still had a soggy grip that collected dirt..

I changed it out with the old school "mushroom" style BMX grips.. I really like it a lot more and no cold fish once back to mainland... Shown also are my settings I run 99% of the time...

IMG_5887_zps3cf128f6.jpg

IMG_5893_zps5bc583a1.jpg

I hated how the headphone wire was set up, so I ran that through/under the grip and taped it up as well...

IMG_5891_zpse586e508.jpg

IMG_5888_zps6535c9b0.jpg

IMG_5889_zps34b57f6a.jpg

One last little thing I did was put a cable tie on the headphone wire to help keep it safe from getting pulled too hard...

IMG_5892_zps3fbfc51b.jpg

Just thought I would share how much my baby has grown from last season....

Good luck out there guys!!

untitled_zps27ae86d4.png

<*)))>{

Nice work! I've thought that oval shaped carbon fiber would really get through the water better than round...

Nice mods, looks like you might need to change those batteries soon :D

I think I will try the electrical tape mod if I end up going in the water a lot. I am about to buy a good scoop so time will tell

Nice mods, looks like you might need to change those batteries soon :D

Shoot, at least 10hrs to go on those!!

I have found gold all through the range, up to the point where the machine starts to have seizures and becomes inoperable..

<*)))>{

Nice job Ice.. The blue kinda makes the machine pop

Thanks man, Home Depot has a bunch of colors, I did have it orange before I had to take my coil off to send in.. Orange looked pretty bad a$$ too...

I did blue this time to match Babe my blue yak.. My whole rig is blue, just worked out like that, so I decided my ATP might as well be blue too..

<*)))>{

S shaft is killing my carpal tunnel. Already had surgery once:shock: Fixing to have to mod mine to a composite straight shaft. BHID came with an s shaft. You want to feel wrist pain, run a 12" super coil and a BHID box shaft mounted to an s shaft. Won't tell you what the s stands for:laughing:
Nice mod!

S shaft is killing my carpal tunnel. Already had surgery once:shock: Fixing to have to mod mine to a composite straight shaft. BHID came with an s shaft. You want to feel wrist pain, run a 12" super coil and a BHID box shaft mounted to an s shaft. Won't tell you what the s stands for:laughing:
Nice mod!

I might want to try a straight shaft some day.. I wish the coil wire was longer, I would go hip mount, with a straight shaft...

<*)))>{

I might want to try a straight shaft some day.. I wish the coil wire was longer, I would go hip mount, with a straight shaft...

<*)))>{

I contacted Garrett about getting a coil with longer cable and they wouldn't do it. With the longer cable you could chestmount the box and that would really make it easy to swing in the water. Pushing that box through the water is a lot of drag.

Ice, you've got some awesome mods. I appreciate you sharing. I'm at the lake now and didn't have any tape to wrap with so I had to improvise. I used Saran Wrap around the cable and it did wonders for hydrodynamics. It is a bit more temporary so I can still change coils. Just duct taped it at the top to keep the wrap from coming off. Thanks again.

I like the bumper idea. I was thinking about a strip of pipe insulation for better shock absorbtion but the problem with that is it would add more buoyancy in deep water. The bungy cord is a good idea.

About the longer cable idea , I dont know if it can be done for every detector but I read a while back where someone was able to get cable from a CB shop and have them do the work attaching the connector and splice to the coil. But it was a long time ago I read that and I dont remember if there was more to it or not.

The bumper is a killer mod, that's really going to be a control box saver!

Thanks man, glad you like it, I like because it offers a lot of protection without having a full rain type of cover, also it will actually protect it more than a rain cover if tips over and hits pavement...

Just remember to make it slightly too small for a snug fit, but not too tight as to warp the case which may cause a seal failure... Just trying to think ahead..

<*)))>{

Nice mods Ice. Should save a lot of arm strain.
Question, what did you do with the spare coil wire after running straight up the shaft(?) Couldn't tell from the pics.

p.s. thanks for the kayak reminder. I've got 2 lake party boat spots I can only get to by boat.

Nice mods Ice. Should save a lot of arm strain.
Question, what did you do with the spare coil wire after running straight up the shaft(?) Couldn't tell from the pics.

Thanks!!

There is only enough for 3 small full wraps at the top, I was surprised at how little was left after a straight run up.. If you look again you might be able to see it... Just have make sure its able to be moved a little so you can still get your battery hatch open..

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom