Making jewelry

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
Using some of your finds to make jewelry isn't all that hard. Especially if you have a few tools like small files, a jeweler's saw, propane torch, etc.
Here are 2 sterling rings that are made from silverware I dug. being silver they are easy to bend. Cut the length you need and bend, silver solder the ends or just leave them touching.

StevespicsfromShutterfly340.jpg

Here's a silver spoon bowl I sawed out. Probably one needs to take an evening class on silversmithing to make some things. Basically, you cut out the design and mount the stone & chain holder.

silverspoon.jpg

I dug a thin sterling bracelet, cut it into 3 pieces and made a matching ring & ear rings.

earringfrombracelet.jpg

Lastly, heres one any one can make. I dug a couple sterling beads in a volley ball court and continued to dig all of them. Then I strung them , went to a jewelry store and bought a bunch of "jet" beads & strung them up as seen. I had enough length on the necklace to also make a set of matching ear rings.

VBbeads.jpg

So with winter coming on why not think about making some jewelry items for presents . And maybe look into a community college that offers evening classes on jewelry and rock cutting/polishing. Steve in so la

Nice work. The beads must have been strung together in the first place. Looks like you must have found all of them. Did you find the clasp too? While I didn't find it, I made a ring out of my Airborne pin.
Abn Ring2.JPG
If you are going to make a ring out of a spoon make sure it's silver. The others are really hard to bend. I got started doing silversmithing back in the '70's when Indian jewelry was popular. I wanted a turquoise ring like some of my friends had. To my father (an old farmer) they were a waste of money. He said "If you want one, make your own." I don't believe he was serious but I did. I still have the first one I made. Needless to say my rings improved over the years but it still wasn't that bad. It's a fun hobby and doesn't take that much to get started. There are a lot of books on making jewelry. I have repaired a lot of broken silver rings that I found. I have even found a few that I had made. I made so many over the years I couldn't tell you who bought them or else I would have returned them. I guaranteed them against anything except loss.

Outstanding work there Gentlemen! One of our brothers here...I cant remember his name, he has a goofy hypnotic avatar though...anyway, I'll think of it....He started carving buffalo nickels (hobo nickels) at work on his lunch hour a few years back and has gotten VERY good at it and has sold quite a few!

Another member, 'ytcoinshooter' once had a bunch of scrap gold rings melted down and cast into a large gold belt buckle by a jewelry making friend of his...John Edmonton makes quite a few coin rings during the Winter......Any and ALL skills are important to have...you just never know..Love the work you do and the topic!
Mud

Outstanding work there Gentlemen! One of our brothers here...I cant remember his name, he has a goofy hypnotic avatar though...anyway, I'll think of it....He started carving buffalo nickels (hobo nickels) at work on his lunch hour a few years back and has gotten VERY good at it and has sold quite a few!
Mud

It might have been JBEXPRESS. I believe he carved a lot of hobo nickels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom