Need some advice

Lakota

Elite Member
If you were going to get your first water machine... AT pro or Tiger Shark?

Which of the two would you suggest for fresh water hunting?

Thanks guys for any help.

Lakota

Still need to get my baby wet ( AT Pro) but when i do ill let you know...someone had a leaking problem with theirs but i think with the warentee if it did youd get your money back but you might want to check youtube for water hunting, the at is good to 10' but its all down to you

For fresh water and less than 10 feet deep, I would go with the AT Pro. It does well in fresh water and also does very well on dry land also if you choose to do that occasionally.
I don't have a Tiger Shark to comment too much on it.
I'm sure a Tesoro guy will eventually add a comment to your post and answer your questions more accurately about the Tiger Shark.

Here is a comparison link if you want to check out the differences between the two:

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/compare/?a=142
good luck and happy hunting

The Tiger Shark is not a PI machine like the Sand Shark. It will work well on land and has discrimination abilities. I had one and liked it okay. It worked well in the water and does not have a 10 foot depth limit like the AT Pro. With that being said if I was not going more that 10 feet deep in fresh water, I would go with the AT Pro because it has TID and other nice features. It is a good land machine and gives you alot more information about your target. It is also a light machine that is easy to use.

Lakota...

I would go with the Tiger Shark as its very good on small thin gold including chains... it can be used in the dirt as well...

The atPro is very good in small gold as well. I would go with the garrett. You will have a very good inland detector and a good water detector as well. Also the garrett can be worked in salt water as well (not in a great way but it actually can make it) the tiger shark will not work on salt water very well.
I rather have a screen than no screen so for me ATPro 100%.

Now you could consider another machine... the DetectorPro Headhunter. Depsite what some users write on this forum about them (and they probably never had one to test and really talk of them) they are great machines, they work very well and are the lightest detector you can get in the market. I personally have a wader.

The atPro is very good in small gold as well. I would go with the garrett. You will have a very good inland detector and a good water detector as well. Also the garrett can be worked in salt water as well (not in a great way but it actually can make it) the tiger shark will not work on salt water very well.

Now you could consider another machine... the DetectorPro Headhunter. Depsite what some users write on this forum about them (and they probably never had one to test and really talk of them) they are great machines, they work very well and are the lightest detector you can get in the market. I personally have a wader.

I had the Diver... they are a single frequency machine that work pretty well but are chatty on the beach... I ran mine hot...

Guys as always thank you for your thoughts. I wasnt worried to much about the TID display feature so much. Figuring it will be a water baby and I'll be chest deep more then likely ;) I planned to dig anything that repeats .

I tried the Cutlass and the F75 memorial weekend in water for the first time and while I didn't find alot of things. I didn't realize how shallow I would have to be to protect my machines. That aside I'm used to beep and dig and TID machines.

My wants are for the Gold :D I had heard both were good in that regard. I guess since both are used the Tiger has points on its side for the warranty.

Guys as always thank you for your thoughts. I wasnt worried to much about the TID display feature so much. Figuring it will be a water baby and I'll be chest deep more then likely ;) I planned to dig anything that repeats .

I tried the Cutlass and the F75 memorial weekend in water for the first time and while I didn't find alot of things. I didn't realize how shallow I would have to be to protect my machines. That aside I'm used to beep and dig and TID machines.

My wants are for the Gold :D I had heard both were good in tbat regard. I guess since both are used the Tiger has points on its side for the warranty.

If your not into relics/iron you could always go for the at gold, the same as the at pro but aimed directly at gold and silver but knocks off the lower end...i was close to going for the gold but im thankfull of the at pro and its waterproof, the fear of tripping over or dropping the detector ir even lying it down next to water and having it fall over into the water was the reason for my choice and the weight (2.9lbs with the large coil and batteries, even less with the small 5x8 coil).

I only know this detector but its really a great machine for the beginner, the std mode is almost idiot proof (i should know) but the pro mode is a major jump forward and nice to be able to switch between them for id'ing the target....i have been convinced since getting it that i made the right choice....im tempted to go dive in my river to see what it does but the storm and 3000 ducks wont let me right now:laughing:

I had one, never could get it to be calm, very chattery and not stable as it was very difficult to ground balance..... I didn't find it very deep either.... Go minelab, used if need be...

Zee and Monkey, I wasn't very clear ... We were slammed today at work so I didnt have alot of time to post this or respond to peoples thoughts.

I would love to consider an Excal or one of the diver level detectors .. But, I am asking on these two units because both have been considered before ( especially the ATPro ), it just happens that those two are available right now for sale used.

Now if one of my fellow FMDF members has a excal or like wise detector they want to let go of in the $450 range ... Please feel free to speak up :lol:

One thing I also didnt get to mention in my thinking of the two, is the convenience of the ATPro's controls. If I'm understanding the Tiger right. The controls are buttoned down under the face cover right?

Lakota

Couldn't agree with you more on the Wader. I have one and it performs great here in our California beaches. :yes:

If you are looking primarily for gold then get the AT GOLD. It will work fine in fresh water but not at all in salt water (per Garrett Tech Support).

My wants are for the Gold :D I had heard both were good in that regard. I guess since both are used the Tiger has points on its side for the warranty.

Make sure the warranty carries over from the original owner. From what I've read, Tesoro will probably still honor it though.

I would go with an AT pro over a PI when it comes to fresh water. It will be my next detector purchase. Too many people smarter than I repeatedly suggest the Garrett because of its versatility and discrimination abilities. I wouldn't want to take my Surf PI to any other environment other than a beach.
I say that because it is less frustrating to dig numerous objects in the sand than anywhere else.

Let me jump in here as well..... anyone got that Xcal for $450 speak up loud... there may be a line with money in hand. Oooo it must have a coil and both pods for that price. Am i dreaming?

Dew

I would go with an AT pro over a PI when it comes to fresh water. It will be my next detector purchase. Too many people smarter than I repeatedly suggest the Garrett because of its versatility and discrimination abilities. I wouldn't want to take my Surf PI to any other environment other than a beach.
I say that because it is less frustrating to dig numerous objects in the sand than anywhere else.

Mike I think your are thinking about the Sand Shark which is Tesoro's PI machine. The Tiger is their VLF disc. Model.. I did think on the PI but it just seemed like over kill for redneck waters likely littered worse then the land with lost beer items ;)

I like my cutlass alot and had considered moving up the totem pole of Tesoros machine to a cibola or Vaq., but seems that the Tiger could accomplish that and give me the sought after water ability too.

Still torn.

Am I right on the Tiger having to be opened up to adjust settings?

Back
Top Bottom