Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 09-06-2019, 03:40 PM
Elite Member

Default AT Pro Speaker Failed

So went water hunting the other day and the AT Pro failed me. The speaker was intermittently cutting out and then finally died. No audio from the speaker. I have not yet hooked up the headphones to see if they still work as Iím out of the state. But... the machine and display still work. Just no audio.

Has anyone replaced their speaker themselves??? Or had to have it replaced by Garrett? The machine warranty expired in 2013. Itís an oldie

Old 09-08-2019, 12:32 AM
Elite Member

I use only headphones.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 PM
Elite Member

Update:

Went to investigate the issue, powered it up and the audio is now working again. My assumption is that water must have shorted something out. And the speaker started working again because it has completely dried out.

Iím not sure how to diagnose the issue now. Any ideas?

Old 09-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Supporter

I took my AT Pro apart when I modded it. I wanted to give it a nice cleaning and get the sand out from underneath the buttons.

If its no longer under warranty then its pretty easy to take it apart. Just a few screws under the front cover if I recall and pull the front out. Best advice, use a hair dryer and heat the front to remove and save the glue. Then you can expose the screws

The main board is just the size of the front plate. The only reason the housing so large is the speaker and the battery pack is designed the way it is. But if I were you, I would check it out and see is anything got inside or try to replace the speaker if its bad.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2019, 08:08 AM
Supporter

I have two AT Max machines and the external speakers died on both of them...the first within 3 months of buying it new. The second made it about a year. I, like metaladdict, only use headphones, but I can tell that the speakers don't work because I can't hear any beeps after powering on and pairing up. Seems to be a common issue.