VOX Operated Headset - Communicate with your hunting buddy on the fly

troynh

My brother & I do a lot of hunting together in the woods, large fields, etc... and have always found it difficult to communicate while being 1000' + apart. (You get the picture....) Jumping up and down, waving hands and screaming are not acceptable methods of communicating while trying to keep things low key! ;) So, I came up with this solution using a standard Motorola Talkabout radio with a VOX function & a comfortable headset with a microphone.

The detector and radio signals are mixed and both have separate volume controls. The only nit picky glitch is that the AT-Pro beeps sometimes when transmitting due to RFI. However, this really is minor and can be lived with. If you stop to transmit and hold the detector to the right of your body, there's no issue. By the way, I'm wearing the radio on a chest harness. So, that's up and out of the way and the wires are custom cut to my body height and swing pattern.

Just thought I'd share and get your input. :grin: Good idea or too complicated?

i-pnvMPT2-XL.jpg

-Tim

So you have everything rigged up for the detector and the radio to share one set of headphones?

What did you use, some sort of splitters?

Sent from Tapatalk while mobile.

Thanks guys.

Sparkfly88, Everything is simply hardwired and soldered together. MD audio and radio RX audio go right up to the headphones. Microphone TX audio goes directly out through the radio.

It took me a while to figure out the the "in's" and "out's" and the fact that Motorola has a propitiatory 11mm TRS plug.

I can try to put things on paper if anyone is interested...

I'm actually working on my brothers pair right now. (Waiting for the soldering iron to heat up...)

-Tim

Back
Top Bottom