DYI Harness - or - necessity is the mother of invention

BottleCapKing

Elite Member
So, I have been suffering a serious case of "metal detector" elbow. It all started with using the White's super 12" coil on an incline. Pulled something, and being dumb, I didn't give it a chance to heal, so I am really paying for it how. Physical therapy, the who works. Just hope I don't require surgery.

Any, I bought a Detector Pro harness. It was working pretty good, but, over long periods of time it puts too much stress on my neck (particularly the top of my traps) and causes headaches. I like the idea of the harness as it lets me hunt when I otherwise couldn't and shouldn't. However, I do not like the idea of headaches nor did I want to buy a new harness.

So, I had an idea. My hiking backpack. It is comfortable. Has nice padded straps, has connectors between the straps, and what is more, there are D-rings on the straps up by the shoulder. So - to the crafting/fabric store I went.

I bought some 1" nylon strapping, a buckle that would match the bungee adjuster I attach to the detector from the already-bought harness, on of them adjustment thingies, a clip (for clipping on to the D-ring), a needle, and some thread.

I am not going to win any awards for my sewing acumen, but, I am pretty sure those stitches are not coming out. I did some test swinging in the garage. I haven't taken it out hunting yet (snow...). But, it is comfortable. Attaches easily to the backpack straps and to the detector bungee. I can adjust the length of the strap with ease, and I am pretty sure I won't get headaches now. And - as a bonus - I can carry an extra coil around in the backpack.

I have to come up with a new idea for the summer. I don't like the idea of wearing a backpack in the summer sun. I will probably throw together some sort of harness based on my backpack design. It will be ugly I am sure, but, I am far enough along in age that function trumps form.

Will take some pictures when I get home tonight.

Let us know how it works.

I made one, (but haven't use it) from an old Muddy Tree stand Harness. I just cut the webbing That was below the belt and went around the legs and the step that would connect to the tree. I would love to get my pouch connected but that will be a winter project.

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 479
Let us know how it works.

I made one, (but haven't use it) from an old Muddy Tree stand Harness. I just cut the webbing That was below the belt and went around the legs and the step that would connect to the tree. I would love to get my pouch connected but that will be a winter project.

Hmm, that looks like a great time saver there!

Good Job dudes! You know, maybe one of those Camelback water tanks for the Summer might be something to think about modifying? Just saying, in the heat, working a beach or anywhere, it sure is nice to have some water along, and if it serves more than one purpose, then great! I like multipurpose gear..in the Winter I can eat snow...
Mud

Last edited:
Good Job dudes! You know, maybe one of those Camelback water tanks for the Summer might be something to think about modifying? Just saying, in the heat, working a beach or anywhere, it sure is nice to have some water along, and if it serves more than one purpose, then great! I like multipurpose gear..
Mud

Another terrific Idea! I have a camelback. It is pretty old. I will need to see if I can resurrect it. Would be great in the summer.

Any, I bought a Detector Pro harness. It was working pretty good, but, over long periods of time it puts too much stress on my neck ..... My hiking backpack.

I was gifted a swiss laptop backpack ($99) and it has o-rings on each of the shoulder straps (green). My Pro Harness bungee connects right to it.

One thing I found is I have to connect the backpack's chest and waist straps to prevent excessive movement and isolate the anchor position. But otherwise, it is more comfortable than the Pro=harness and I can even carry extra batteries, water, or empty my finds pounch.

Attachments

• backpack.JPG
    backpack.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 438
One thing I found is I have to connect the backpack's chest and waist straps to prevent excessive movement and isolate the anchor position. But otherwise, it is more comfortable than the Pro=harness and I can even carry extra batteries, water, or empty my finds pounch.

These are the very reasons why I decided to use my hiking backpack. It also has good lower back support.

Curious to know if this worked out for you bud! I need a harness pretty quick , I'm in pretty good shape, I'd like to keep it that way :lol:

Curious to know if this worked out for you bud! I need a harness pretty quick , I'm in pretty good shape, I'd like to keep it that way :lol:

Not sure if I will be able to test this year. There is going to be a pretty good ground freeze coming. Not sure if I will get out into the woods, either.

My makeshift harness with my backpack worked pretty good, though, I do need to remake the strap. It is just a bit too long and I can just barely shorten it to where I need it. So, I will remake it with a strap about 8" shorter than the one I used.

Also, I was able to dig up my CamelBak. I am happy to see that it also has D rings on the straps. The new CamelBak's I see in the store do not. Just need to get a new bladder for it. Mine is like 13 years old or so. Not that I have used it in 10 years or so. It will become my summer harness I think.

I have a detector pro harness. I don't like the uneven distribution of weight across my upper trapezius muscles. It gives me a headache. That is why I decided I would make my own harness using my hiking backpack, which has D rings on the straps. It distributes weight much better that a strap across one should harness would. What you are showing is exactly what I am trying to escape - too much weight on one side of my traps. So, I made a strap that would latch on to the D-ring on the backpack strap and would connect to the detector. It was using a harness device I already had, and cost me about $8 in parts. All I had to do was the sewing. In the summer, I can use my CamelBak as a harness. Metal Detector support, and 1.5 liters of beverage to boot.

Back
Top Bottom