need help with id on these two things

FistFullOfCoppers

Elite Member
Dug these the other day along with a old I believe to be cw era spur n stirrup.
So im thinking these two mystery items might be from that era .
Just have no idea what they are .
Hopefully somebody can positively id them.
Ty for looking.

Attachments

• Zoom Pictures - 02015-30-06-04-30-06.jpg
    Zoom Pictures - 02015-30-06-04-30-06.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 423
  • Zoom Pictures - 02015-30-06-04-30-45.jpg
    Zoom Pictures - 02015-30-06-04-30-45.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 428
  • Zoom Pictures - 02015-30-06-04-30-50.jpg
    Zoom Pictures - 02015-30-06-04-30-50.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 426
  • Zoom Pictures - 02015-31-06-04-31-02.jpg
    Zoom Pictures - 02015-31-06-04-31-02.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 426
  • Zoom Pictures - 02015-31-06-04-31-14.jpg
    Zoom Pictures - 02015-31-06-04-31-14.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 424
My guess would be that they are parts from an old platform feed scale. The long piece with the hook on one end looks like the weight adjustment arm of the scale. I used one like this when I was young::yes:

Attachments

• feed scale.jpg
    feed scale.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 404
  • platform scale.jpg
    platform scale.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 399
The scales I have seen use a piece of rod for the hook, not a piece of iron. It (the long piece) seems more like a prying tool, along the lines of a tire iron.

I'm really curious about the D shaped item as well since I found one very similar about a year ago. Still have it sitting on a shelf down my basement.

I'm really curious about the D shaped item as well since I found one very similar about a year ago. Still have it sitting on a shelf down my basement.

Can you post a pic of yours pls.
Maybe itll help .
Im thinking maybe a strap went around the straight part of the D shaped item .
Then you could possible hang something on it or hook something to it maybe

That looks like a D ring from an old artillery saddle. It was used to attach the Y strap that hooked to the artillery piece for hauling it around. If that is what it is?

Edit: It would have been found in the center (front and back ) of the saddle.

That looks like a D ring from an old artillery saddle. It was used to attach the Y strap that hooked to the artillery piece for hauling it around. If that is what it is?

Edit: It would have been found in the center (front and back ) of the saddle.

Kinda would make sense since I found it rigjt near where I dug a piece of spur and a brass stirrup. And a horse shoe.

I believe your "D" shaped object is just a horse shoe. The cross bar piece may have been for traction or to help keep the hoof together. If you pick around that groove on the round edge, I'll bet you find the nail holes.

Here's the one I found, looks smaller then yours but similar design. I tried knocking some of the excess rust off with my digger and broke the piece out of the side so it's some type of cast iron, and brittle. Didn't even smack it that hard. Hopefully nothing of any value :( Did have it spend the night in the tumbler after that. Hopefully someone can help identify it.

Attachments

• horseshoe.jpg
    horseshoe.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 302
The longer item almost looks like one of those handles used to lift the covers over the burners on wood stoves...

<°)))>{

Here's the one I found, looks smaller then yours but similar design. I tried knocking some of the excess rust off with my digger and broke the piece out of the side so it's some type of cast iron, and brittle. Didn't even smack it that hard. Hopefully nothing of any value :( Did have it spend the night in the tumbler after that. Hopefully someone can help identify it.

I have one of these too, I have no idea what it is...it's in a box somewhere... I've researched it and still don't know what it is :lol:

Awesome ID Man, THANK YOU! :yes: I was racking my brains trying to figure out what that thing was. Now we know...:cool:

Back
Top Bottom