Finally got the funds for a metal detector, some advice needed!

c4bb0ose

So I managed to get some funds for my new found fevers!

I have $350 NZD to play with max, currently I am looking at the bounty hunter IV based on recommendations on here and on metal detecting review websites.
I can get in landed here for just shy of $200 NZD from an official Australian outlet http://www.tiptopshop.com.au/bounty-hunter-tracker-iv-metal-detector.html

I do however have the funds to buy a fisher F2 which is $350 NZD and or a garret 150 which is $355 NZD again from official suppliers but this time here in NZ.

I know this is a big issue with people asking 'What is the best' but more to the point I am looking for a good starting machine that I can learn and has no issues in a wetter climate (it rains a fair amount here.)

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Unless waterproof you will have issues with any electronic device. None of the ones listed are waterproof.

For the money a F2 and a good pin pointer is a great setup!

So I managed to get some funds for my new found fevers!

I have $350 NZD to play with max, currently I am looking at the bounty hunter IV based on recommendations on here and on metal detecting review websites.
I can get in landed here for just shy of $200 NZD from an official Australian outlet http://www.tiptopshop.com.au/bounty-hunter-tracker-iv-metal-detector.html

I do however have the funds to buy a fisher F2 which is $350 NZD and or a garret 150 which is $355 NZD again from official suppliers but this time here in NZ.

I know this is a big issue with people asking 'What is the best' but more to the point I am looking for a good starting machine that I can learn and has no issues in a wetter climate (it rains a fair amount here.)

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Hello again :)

I have owned the Fisher F2 - Tesoro Compadre - Teknetics Delta - Teknetics Eurotek Pro all of which are fantastic starter machines and then sum -

The Fisher F2 is good as Bart has mentioned and another point to consider is that there is a Fisher dealer in NZ

The Tesoro Compadre is great as it is a simple one dial does all system, so it easy to learn and a little harder to master - This particular unit has a cult like following -

Teknetics Eurotek Pro / Delta 4000 are IMHO the way to go simply because of the coil compatibility options you have with various other machines -

Either way all the metal detectors I have mentioned have no known issues with NZ soil conditions etc so you cant go too far wrong in your choice -

The F2 is not going to benefit from the segments since you are seeking NZ coins and it is engineered for US coins. The Eurotek Pro is a good choice, as you will have to learn the numeric values of coins by simply airtesting them. The "iron" warning will be to your advantage as well. What isn't iron will be "gold/junk/certain coins" in midtone or Silver in high tone. You will spend most of the time deciphering midtones, but the numeric ID will be the Godsend for doing that.

Just my 2 cents.

I had both and they were awesome

I had both and they were great. I sold the F2 and kept the Compadre. That machine is awesome, light fast and it sniffs out the good stuff.

To be honest flip a coin and I bet you will be happy with either MD.

Back
Top Bottom