General rule of thumb on rings?

602punch

Found my first ring today with my ATPro. It's been over a year since ive been out MDing. I hit up a local park on my lunch break today and right under a bench (using my garrett propointer no less) I found this about an inch under the ground.

No markings but it's super heavy. What is the rule of thumb? Is it: Exposed back= fake or exposed back = possibly real?

Can anyone assist?

7MdKc

http://imgur.com/a/7MdKc

edit to add: It rang up bouncy from 50s with a high ping in the 70s if that helps.

I don't think the back exposed or not has any bearing on fake or real (not an expert), but I've found exposed back 14k rings. It looks like silver from here but they're usually marked if silver or better. I'm betting silver but need to acid test to really know. Got a loupe and looked for markings? PLAT 950 would be nice to see on that or 925. Best of luck and congrats that's a nice ring.

Attachments

• IMG_7484.jpg
    IMG_7484.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 548
Thanks Groundsweeper. I ordered a 20x loupe with LEDs off Amazon today, ill have it Monday. Ill probably drop this off at a jewelers and have them test it.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks Groundsweeper. I ordered a 20x loupe with LEDs off Amazon today, ill have it Monday. Ill probably drop this off at a jewelers and have them test it.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Hope it turns out to be a goodie, sure is a nice looking ring!

About open back rings ...

The back is left open so the stones can catch light . Most cheap rings don't have this and it doesn't look plated . Nice find ! Woodstock

i say real. it doesnt look like it has a cheap base metal exposed under it. i dont know what the real metal is though by the picture. i have dug rings where the base metal is exposed on the inside and the edges.

I have found several gold rings with diamonds and open backs.
Not everything is marked...in some cases the marks can wear off if not really deep or if the piece is old or softer high karat and was worn for years, in other cases resizing can wipe out those marks completely.
I have found both kinds and they were all real.

Yours looks good...report back on the results!

Sorry, definitely not real but the good news is I like to buy costume jewelry ! Will 10$ buy it ?

OK ... so you say ...

It's not real ? :shock: ... and have you access to it and have you held it in your hand ? No ? :?: Then how can you say it 's not ? Are you a psychic ? :?: I say it's real and what I mean is "it's a real open back ring" but that is all I can say and in reality that's all any of us can say without having personally inspected it . :yes:
And calling it costume and then offering $10 sounds fishy to me :laughing: . I myself wouldn't pay $10 for a fake diamond ring .. but I might IF in the back of my mind I felt it was and then buy it cheap and sell it high ... :D
So why are you so positive it's a costume ring ??? Just curious ... fill me in , heck fill all of us in :mad:. IMHO , Woodstock :cool:
Sorry, definitely not real but the good news is I like to buy costume jewelry ! Will 10$ buy it ?

It's not real ? :shock: ... and have you access to it and have you held it in your hand ? No ? :?: Then how can you say it 's not ? Are you a psychic ? :?: I say it's real and what I mean is "it's a real open back ring" but that is all I can say and in reality that's all any of us can say without having personally inspected it . :yes:
And calling it costume and then offering $10 sounds fishy to me :laughing: . I myself wouldn't pay $10 for a fake diamond ring .. but I might IF in the back of my mind I felt it was and then buy it cheap and sell it high ... :D
So why are you so positive it's a costume ring ??? Just curious ... fill me in , heck fill all of us in :mad:. IMHO , Woodstock :cool:

Sorry. Meant to say I'M not real !:laughing: nice find !!!

Some of you ...

Need to understand where I'm coming from :roll: ... sure we all like to joke around but there are vultures out there that put their opinions on stuff and just like to get over on the unknowing :shock: . They will tell you that they know whatever you have that they want is !!!! and try to lowball and steal it from those they feel that they can get over on .:yes:
I've ran into these people many times and fortunately I'm fully aware of what they are doing and I'm aware of the value of what I'm selling :p. And I learned the hard way . And if I'm not certain I will not be selling until I'm 100% sure I'm asking what it's actually worth . So the jokes not on me :lol: ..e'nuff said,
Woodstock
It's a joke, but I'll offer you $15 for it:lol:

Wow now that's what I call an awesome lunch break! And with a pro pointer no less? I'm gonna say you got yourself a very nice Platinum Diamond ring there :yes:

If it were silver I think it would ring up higher on the ATP, plus you say its got some good weight to it. The metal looks platinum white to me. Congrats!
:cheers:

Confirmed today that these are indeed real diamonds. I think the band might be platinum though. I won't know that until it gets acid tested tomorrow. Pretty stoked. That's my first diamond anything I have found, and under a park bench no less :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom