Neat little coin shooting program for the Equinox 800.

So far I’ve found the 800 to be far superior to the ETrac for cherry picking. I’ve used the ETrac for a couple years now, thousands of hours under my belt and the 800 is finding lots of missed coins. These spots I’m hunting are in my hometown and are loaded with junk, can slaw and those blasted ring type pull tabs. The ETrac found lots of goodies, but in my spots I have found the 800’s ability to separate far and away better than my beloved ETrac. In clean ground, the ETrac would probably be king, but in the trash, I think my favorite machine has fallen to its new spot at second fiddle.

Here is my “report”: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=259003

I prefer the Etrac for cherry picking except in very trashy iron-filled ground. More uncertainty for me with the Nox, given its less accurate ID and depth, so hard to "cherry pick"; but, yes, it does separate a lot better.

Hugely appreciate this, I just found it by searching and finding your video.
Any changes tweaks or updates before I program this in?
Had my detector for a few weeks now, probably 100 hours already swinging it
But looking to cherry pick silvers out of local spot then will go over it again for any clad and gold or silver.

So I've been tweaking the settings on my Nox 800 trying to find the best compromise for cherry picking semi masked coins from iron infested sites. I've been using these settings for a little while now and they've been working well for me. Thought I'd share them here for anyone who is new to the Equinox and may be a little frustrated with the barrage of unfamiliar sounds making it difficult to pick out good targets.

This program runs very quiet yet uses very little disc. We silence unwanted targets by setting the tone volume to zero on certain ranges rather than using a lot of discrimination.

Settings are as follows:

-Base mode: Park 2.

-Change Target Tones from 50 to 5.

-Disc level - Accept Reject: (optional) Reject TID # 21 & 22 only. This is just to notch out the zinc range. We're only using discrimination here because the detector is limited to 5 tones. No worries about discriminating other junk items in other ranges. We'll eliminate those by setting the tone volume to zero.

-In advanced Accept/Reject - Tone Breaks:
Tone 1 is set at -9 through 10 (iron and foil range). Set the tone volume to 0.
Tone 2 is set at 11 through 13 (Nickel range). Set to low tone. Tone volume at 25.
Tone 3 is set at 14 through 18 (Pulltab & junk range). Set tone volume to 0.
Tone 4 is set at 19 through 22 (IHP and Zinc penny range). Set to mid tone. Tone volume at 25.
Tone 5 is set at 23 through 40 (Silver coin range). Set this to maximum pitch (25) to make targets in the silver zone scream! Tone volume at 25 as well.

-Recovery Speed: 7 (adjust to match the site you're detecting).

-In advanced Recovery settings, Iron Bias: 2 or 3. You can set this to your preference but keep in mind, lower settings may cause you to dig more iron signals. Higher settings may make you miss good targets that are near iron. For me, a setting of 2 or 3 seems to be a good compromise.

-Leave Frequency on Multi.
Even though setting up your own program is relatively easy on the Equinox, I can see how it might be a little overwhelming to a new user.

Keep in mind, this is just a compromise for cherry picking.. It may miss some coins that ID lower due to being near iron or other trash, but should keep the treasure to trash ratio very reasonable and maybe help keep a new user from getting frustrated or overwhelmed. Once a user gets comfortable with the machine he can modify the accepted TID ranges to his liking.

Hugely appreciate this, I just found it by searching and finding your video.
Any changes tweaks or updates before I program this in?
Had my detector for a few weeks now, probably 100 hours already swinging it
But looking to cherry pick silvers out of local spot then will go over it again for any clad and gold or silver.

Glad some folks found it useful. I still use those same settings for cherry picking with a couple of minor changes.

Tone 3 I set at 14 through 17 and tone 4 is set at 18 through 22. Reason is I found that some IHPs ring in at 18.

I generally run my recovery speed as low as the site will allow. 5 or 6 at most places I hunt. I now run Iron Bias a little lower as well. Usually at 1.

Good luck!

Glad some folks found it useful. I still use those same settings for cherry picking with a couple of minor changes.

Tone 3 I set at 14 through 17 and tone 4 is set at 18 through 22. Reason is I found that some IHPs ring in at 18.

I generally run my recovery speed as low as the site will allow. 5 or 6 at most places I hunt. I now run Iron Bias a little lower as well. Usually at 1.

Good luck!

Awesome thanks.
I’ll try adding in those changes and post it here and verify I have them right before programming

What about if I need to run 40 instead due to power lines ?

Base mode: Park 2.

-Change Target Tones from 50 to 5.

-Disc level - Accept Reject: (optional) Reject TID # 21 & 22 only. This is just to notch out the zinc range. We're only using discrimination here because the detector is limited to 5 tones. No worries about discriminating other junk items in other ranges. We'll eliminate those by setting the tone volume to zero.

-In advanced Accept/Reject - Tone Breaks:
Tone 1 is set at -9 through 10 (iron and foil range). Set the tone volume to 0.
Tone 2 is set at 11 through 13 (Nickel range). Set to low tone. Tone volume at 25.
Tone 3 is set at 14 through 17 (Pulltab & junk range). Set tone volume to 0.
Tone 4 is set at 18 through 22 (IHP and Zinc penny range). Set to mid tone. Tone volume at 25.
Tone 5 is set at 23 through 40 (Silver coin range). Set this to maximum pitch (25) to make targets in the silver zone scream! Tone volume at 25 as well.

-Recovery Speed: 7 (adjust to match the site you're detecting). (Low as possible)

-In advanced Recovery settings, Iron Bias: 2 or 3. (One suggested) You can set this to your preference but keep in mind, lower settings may cause you to dig more iron signals. Higher settings may make you miss good targets that are near iron. For me, a setting of 2 or 3 seems to be a good compromise.

-Leave Frequency on Multi.

Good luck!

I just tweeked my settings a little this morning, finished my household chores.
Got out for a half hour before it started raining.
I didn't dig much because of the rain.
But I dug a nice 1876 Indian!
Slammed signal on a solid 21
b683b24a6acc09c91c7ea4068b46fc43.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

If you dig it all then 600 if you cherrypick and THINK your getting all the good stuff then 800 but I still think the Etrac/CTX is better for cherrypicking. In mineralized dirt like the farm fields I hunt in, you cannot rely on ID.

Honestly if you hunt in an area that you can't rely on ID then Nox will out perform CTX/ Etrac 99 out of 100 times IMO. In my experience using all 3 the Nox ID is not as stable but it will alert you on a good target in masked, trashy, or deep conditions better than the CTX or Etrac.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great post OP. Very similar to how I run my nox but using park 1 instead of park 2. I am very surprised you have more success with silver in park 2. I have tested both programs in my test garden and local parks and Park 1 always outshines park 2 on silver coins especially deep silver. I am sure soil conditions in our areas play a big part in this difference but still interesting.

Great post OP. Very similar to how I run my nox but using park 1 instead of park 2. I am very surprised you have more success with silver in park 2. I have tested both programs in my test garden and local parks and Park 1 always outshines park 2 on silver coins especially deep silver. I am sure soil conditions in our areas play a big part in this difference but still interesting.

Thanks Ben. I know park 1 with the lower frequency set should tag high conductors better in cleaner ground, but I find that park 2 seems to separate a little better. Since the idea behind this is to cherry pick coins from thick iron, I used park 2 as the base program. I pretty much use my Equinox strictly for hunting in iron. Still prefer my CTX for coin shooting cleaner ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tweeked my settings a little this morning, finished my household chores.
Got out for a half hour before it started raining.
I didn't dig much because of the rain.
But I dug a nice 1876 Indian!
Slammed signal on a solid 21
b683b24a6acc09c91c7ea4068b46fc43.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Good lookin IHP! Congrats!

You can modify it as needed. Should be fine. :cheers:

Will be heading out in a bit to my night hunt location :)
Let’s hope 5th time is a charm and can pull even if just one silver.
Going back to 11 inch coil. Have been running the 6 inch, so much easier to know target or plug size and location with the 6

So why even bother with nickels? A few key dates that really take A hit if the coins are dug anyways. Kill everything under silver numbers. Now that is cherry picking.

Indians are the same. They just don't amount to much. They go in the tumbler too. Wheats? I hate digging them.

So why even bother with nickels? A few key dates that really take A hit if the coins are dug anyways. Kill everything under silver numbers. Now that is cherry picking.

Indians are the same. They just don't amount to much. They go in the tumbler too. Wheats? I hate digging them.

Because he's describing a coin shooting program and not a silver cherry picking program. Some people like having a chance at digging war and other older nickels, not to mention Indian Heads and Wheaties. Some people aren't detecting for scrap or even collectable value.

This is very similar to what I've been using but my base mode is Park 1 . It is already a 5 tone setting. I'm curious as to why you start in Park 2 and then set it to 5 tones. What am I missing?

Because he's describing a coin shooting program and not a silver cherry picking program. Some people like having a chance at digging war and other older nickels, not to mention Indian Heads and Wheaties. Some people aren't detecting for scrap or even collectable value.

Agreed, I am one of those, silver is just fun to find not worried about values.
A more rare item for the hunt is fun.

^^Exactly. I love finding old nickels and IHPs. Not concerned with the value. Heck if you’re only in the hobby for profit, why even bother with silver? Most commonly dug silvers (Mercs and Rosies) are only worth a few bucks tops. Might as well just stick to modern sites collecting clad.

Back
Top Bottom