Waterproof "River Rat" COMPADRE BUILD.

Well finally getting my new workshop finished and getting over this awful lead poisoning! MUST..... FINISH ....... COMPADRE....... I have everything I need and will be working on it next week. Instead of using the grey ghost amphibians I have converted the jack to a 3.5mm and after MUCH TESTING decided to go with waterproof ear buds made by Philips. At $30 a set they are cheap, but very well made. I cut the left ear bud off at the split so that one ear is always open. THey are very sensitive and give a great sound with a volume control IN LINE so I don't have to open the airtight compartment. I will be wiring them through the coil cable so that there is still only ONE cable exiting the box. Foolproof if done correctly. I am very excited to use this bad boy! Ready to do some bay hunting soon
I have settled on these-
http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SHQ1200_28/actionfit-actionfit-orange-and-grey

They tested waterproof after a few days soaking, then a few days hanging in the shower, then through the washing machine 3 times..... So I am pretty confident in them.... but just in case.... I can easily afford 2 pairs from a dealer on ebay selling them for $13 a pair...... I did however rub some marine grade silicone around any openings to help just in case.

Attachments

• philipsd.jpg
    philipsd.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 579
Been testing a few different Philips sets. Out of the three I have.... one set stopped working emediatly out of the box. That is very troubling because once I hardwire these in.... it would be a HUGE PAIN to re-do them. I may reconsider and go with a waterproof ctx m12 connector or even look at an AT pro waterproof connector. Will update this week. Going to be "fun" getting all the components to fit smoothly.

Attachments

• compadre.jpg
    compadre.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 519
  • compadre2.jpg
    compadre2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 514
lol its been done. Sorry for the slow updates. Maiden hunt couldn't have gone better!!! It goes ALOT deeper than I want to dig. Perfect for the type of water I hunt in and literally bullet proof. I hunt "IRON GARDENS" where most detectors just shut down. The compadre eats it for lunch. That 7" coil is unstoppable.

Here are a few "teaser" pics. Its 90% complete, however I will be tweaking the internal settings, adding a volume control, and doing the third and final water proof test. To test It I submerge it in my pressure tank overnight with enough pressure pumped in to simulate 25 feet under water.
I am pretty happy with how she turned out, but disappointed that I am going to HAVE TO ADD a volume control or the ear buds will literally blow out my ear drum. I like the waterproof ear buds a lot... very sensitive and super tough. And only $20 to replace them if they ever wear out. I carry an extra set INSIDE the waterproof housing so that if they ever give out I can change in the middle of a hunt!
That Carbon fiber sure is SEXY!

Attachments

• compadre.jpg
    compadre.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 374
  • compadre2.jpg
    compadre2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 366
  • compadre3.jpg
    compadre3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 374
Back