Looking to get a Minelab FBS, but which one?

njemt

Can of you many Minelab users give me input on the FBS units, other than the E-Trac? I'm looking to possibly trade my Whites DFX package (yes, I know its a long shot) for a FBS model.

Any of the Explorers would be a great choice. Explorer II, Explorer SE. Just be prepared for a whole new experience.

I when from the DFX I had used for 8 years to the Explorer SE. It freaked me out the difference. The FBS is a sound machine until you get up to the E-Trac and CTX then you also have very reliable VDI as well as sound.

The DFX is the better machine if you like good casual relaxing hunting.

E-Trac

Can of you many Minelab users give me input on the FBS units, other than the E-Trac? I'm looking to possibly trade my Whites DFX package (yes, I know its a long shot) for a FBS model.

Running specials on the E-trac/ CTX 3030
Need any help just call
dennis

Any of the Explorers would be a great choice. Explorer II, Explorer SE. Just be prepared for a whole new experience.

I when from the DFX I had used for 8 years to the Explorer SE. It freaked me out the difference. The FBS is a sound machine until you get up to the E-Trac and CTX then you also have very reliable VDI as well as sound.

The DFX is the better machine if you like good casual relaxing hunting.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages between the Explorer II and the SE? They seem to be very similar, going by the manuals.

What about the safari? I don't know much about it other than it doesn't get much attention however it should be just as deep and capable as the etrac/ctx, right?

I like the E-Trac and Safari also, but I've been looking and they seem (even used) to be out of my price range. Cash is tight right now, that's why I am looking to trade for a used unit and the price range for the Explorer II and SE used seem to be going for about the same as the DFX used (at least for what I'm seeing).

I remind the op here,,,Minelab support is lacking on most of the older FBS units.

So if it breaks,,you're on your own.

If you can get a very good deal on one of the older units-- still a worthy purchase IMO.

I think the Explorer SE has a bit faster processor. I own both the DFX and Exp II. I couldn't believe the difference and my DFX has been in the closet for years. Matter of fact, my Explorer II is my go-to unit and my Etrac is second because the Exp II is easier to use, and I get slightly better depth.

Thanks for the input everyone but as of right my quest for metal detecting world domination are on hold until I can sell my DFX. Seems like no one likes them anymore. :lol:

I remind the op here,,,Minelab support is lacking on most of the older FBS units.

So if it breaks,,you're on your own.

If you can get a very good deal on one of the older units-- still a worthy purchase IMO.

Very good point. If you get an older one(I agree still worth buying) you just have to bear in mind its probably disposable or cost prohibitive to get repaired.
The Explorers are a great line of detectors, adjustable mask really separated the Explorer from the Sovereigns.

UPDATE....I found a dealer that was willing to trade my DFX for a new T2. Hopefully come December or so I'll be able to pickup a used E-Trac with the Xmas bonus.

Back
Top Bottom