how does your wife view your time metal detecting?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
As an example. I have my own work at home business. So my wife would rather me be working on this business since in terms of income since it is a sure thing compared to my time spent metal detecting.

She also knows it is good for my mental and physical health. When she sees my finds (mostly junk) she says did you find anything good? Which to her means nice jewelry that she can sell or wear. She keeps bugging me to sell on eBay the .925 tiffanys heavy woman's bracelet I found at the lake recently.

So often I feel guilty taking time off during the day to metal detect. But not guilty enough to not do it. I have asked her to go along with me and metal detect, but she always declines saying she is not interested. Which is odd she is an avid hiker and is always dragging me on her hikes.

My wife was pretty uninterested when I got into Metal Detecting. Likely because I've been "hobby hopping" this year, trying all sorts of things(HAM radio was the last one). Over time she became more understanding, and less annoyed when I talked about it. And I think this is due to be getting out in the woods more often, which in the recent past slowed down considerably with the birth of our daughter.

I am self employed as well, however I am so damn busy during the week that I have a very hard time taking time off. However I protect my weekend time, with a vengeance. When i am not working on business stuff on weeknights, I am working on my hobbies. My wife(and wives of some of my friends) dont understand all the time and money spent on hobbies. Most often, she'll just want to sit an relax after a days work. Thats all well and good, but personally I need to keep my mind active and working on something so I feel like I accomplished a good amount that day.

In the end, I do what makes me happy, and I have chosen to be amongst people that support whatever I do that brings me joy, and I reciprocate the same respect unto them.

If any of you folks have a spouse that doesn't want you to be happy, you really need to rethink your life choices to date.

My wife is a sweetheart, she puts up with me being away from the house very often. It is 5pm here and from 5 am I have only been home for 2 hours. She realizes it is good for my mind, body and spirit. She also likes to see some of my better finds and she claims every ring she can but that is a small price to pay. Every so often she goes digging with me, swinging the AT Pro. I offered to get her a deus because it is so light but she says she does not like the sound. Every once in a while she gets picky when I am about to leave but all in all I have it pretty good here!

My wife is happy that I have a hobby that I can get out and have fun and get exercise, and that sometimes lets me make some money.

No problem here she goes with me. That's why we picked this hobby we both have our own machines and like spending time together doing it

Just be sensitive to your spouse, don't give too much attention to detecting. Its a difficult choice for us addicts.:laughing:

Me thinks that 99% of the participants of this forum .... simply CAN'T respond to this question. Because .... heaven-help-them if their wife read the response ? In fact, I'm probably in trouble for simply typing what I just typed ?? :shock:

My wife always referred to detecting as a silly hobby up until a few years ago. She doesn’t mind me going nowadays as long as I don’t get carried away and spend every last minute of my free time detecting... which I’ve been known to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife don’t have a problem with it. She enjoys digging but not swinging the detector lol.

She became much happier when she found out how much my platinum ring find was worth lmao.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Works great for me. I mostly only get out on Sundays so she goes to church and I go off hunting. Of course she gets dibs on any of the jewelry I find and I keep the coins. Her only complaint seems to be all the junk metals in the garage piling up. Other than that, we both win in this hobby. :yes:

I've asked my lady to go with me...no interest at all. But she doesn't complain when I detail all of my finds ("...and 37 pulltabs!"). Probably laughing at me inside, but whatevs...

Me thinks that 99% of the participants of this forum .... simply CAN'T respond to this question. Because .... heaven-help-them if their wife read the response ? In fact, I'm probably in trouble for simply typing what I just typed ?? :shock:

My wife hates the hobby... thinks its a waste of time... I tell her owning all those shoes is a waste of money...

My wife hates the hobby... thinks its a waste of time... I tell her owning all those shoes is a waste of money...

Lmfao that’s great 🤣

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Back
Top Bottom