New Hobby for Hubby and me

Shug1986

Hey my husband and I want to start detecting together. We live in Summerville, SC near the Charleston, SC beaches. Can someone guide us as to the best detector we should buy? We would like to do some detecting on land and some along the saltwater beaches and maybe even in some fresh water. Thanks in advance for your help.:?:

Hey my husband and I want to start detecting together. We live in Summerville, SC near the Charleston, SC beaches. Can someone guide us as to the best detector we should buy? We would like to do some detecting on land and some along the saltwater beaches and maybe even in some fresh water. Thanks in advance for your help.:?:

Welcome from Michigan and lots of questions! Do you dive, or want to wade deep or do you just want to hunt wet and dry sand?

Will you be doing much land hunting or mostly sand? And last but not least of the questions is your budget? Nobody wants to tell you you need two CTX3030 machines which cost 2500.00 each!!

Last edited:
Shug, Welcome from Western Washington! I cant give you advice as to salt water hunting but, for land and fresh water down to 10 ft the AT PRO is a great detector for under 600 bucks. Im sure you will get lots of advice and other recommendations from others. This is a great forum! HH

Welcome from Michigan and lots of questions! Do you dive, or want to wade deep or do you just want to hunt wet and dry sand?

Will you be doing much land hunting or mostly sand? And last but not least of the questions is your budget? Nobody wants to tell you you need two CTX3030 machines which cost 2500.00 each!!
@ ScubaDetector We do not dive. It will be for wet sand and wading. He would like like to get into both wet hunting just surf, while I sun bathe at the beach and dry land because we live in an area that is rich in Civil War history. Budget- around 1500. We are just not sure where to start and what kind of detector to get. We weren't sure if one detector could be used for both wet and dry or if we would need two. Thanks for any and all info you can give us. Thanks and hello to the rest of you.

@GeneralQuarters thanks for the info.

First, welcome to the forum from the Ozarks! I cannot give much advice as to what would be a good detector as I don't water hunt, but there are many who will be along to help.

I will tell you though, I am looking forward to seeing your finds and reading about our hunts.

Welcome once again.
Doug

@ ScubaDetector We do not dive. It will be for wet sand and wading. He would like like to get into both wet hunting just surf, while I sun bathe at the beach and dry land because we live in an area that is rich in Civil War history. Budget- around 1500. We are just not sure where to start and what kind of detector to get. We weren't sure if one detector could be used for both wet and dry or if we would need two. Thanks for any and all info you can give us. Thanks and hello to the rest of you.

@GeneralQuarters thanks for the info.

Well for salt and fresh water a dual frequency machine or more is the best. The two best water detectors for both fresh and salt water are the Minelab Excal and the Fisher CZ-21. Both will work in wet and dry sand and in salt and fresh water very well. Both are waterproof and can be dunked.

The AT Pro is a single frequency machine and although some say it works fine in salt water others have doubts. I never tried one in either environment.

Stay away from PI machines because they are practically useless in fresh water unless not much iron is present. They hit deep in salt water though.

Land machines are dangerous to use in the surf. I drowned two land machines.

On top of a detector you will need a wetsuit, booties, and or waders. A long handle scoop and a goodie pouch.

Land hunting is different. Although both machines will work on land. People that land hunt like a visual display also.

My opinion. Get a water machine and find enough gold to finance a land machine. You can find gold on land but not as much as the water.

Historic items are great to find but mostly not a lot of monetary value.

You can get lots of advice here. Please check out the tips page on my website. http://www.scubadetector.com

I hunt fresh water 99% of the time but have been around enough to listen to all the salties talk of their machines and finds.

You can also look into a couple good used detectors. That will help on the budget. Also with used, if you dont like it you can resale and not loose much money. On the bottom of this forum there is a site for items for sale. Just click on detectors for sale. Most people on here that sell there detectors are good people. Hope you enjoy the hobby... KEN

Welcome from Florence South Carolina. A Good all around detector is a Garrett AT Pro and it will go in water to about 10 feet with special headphones.

All rounder Atpro. Just manually ground balance low till she stops chirping along the shores edge. And notch down the sensitivity. Dry land its stable.
And you can jump in the lake..... With it. Good luck!

I do not and have not used an At pro , but have heard its useless in the salt water and sand . Try an Etrac . I was told it works well in salt and dry sand . And is supposed to be excellent on land as well . That's what I was told , so I bought one . Havent had a chance to use it yet , but will at the beach early next week and going to give it a shot . You wont get 2 of'em for 1500 , but you can get 1 and a sand scoop for the the wife . lol .Welcome from NC .

Back
Top Bottom