new to metal detecting have not bought a unit yet wanted an un byis opion on what unit to start with onlimited budget

What kind of hunting do you plan on doing? beach/dirt? water, fresh or salt? what kind of money do you want to spend? Might I suggest that you give more details so that we can help you, or you can contact one of the sponsors and they can give you a great deal.

I have a BH Discovery 3300 that I was using and I found a LOT of coins with it. It kills on clad, and I found 3 Mercury dimes with it. It's also light-weight, and since they don't make the 3300 anymore you can probably get one cheaper and still new off of eBay.

Someone on the forum is selling a Fisher F2 for $145, I just can't remember who it is, but I saw the thread earlier tonight.

I agree with ronfin only because I know the Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300. I still have that machine tucked away in the closet somewhere. It will find stuff on land or the dry sand on the beaches. WARNING however, it will not work on wet ocean sand (Myrtle Beach wet sand) but it will do great if you back up on the beach to the dry sand. I bought it several years ago at Radio Shack.

HH, Don

I'm using the Fisher F2 and really like it -super fun machine. You can buy them used for as cheap as $150 or new for $200. The Tesoro Campadre is a great option as well at $160. Like others have said a good digging tool is essential. Best of luck!

Ace 250 is a popular choice, nothing wrong with that.
Compadre is practically a religion, however no basic LCD display.

You can also get the White's Coinmaster for $180, I own one and it is a good solid starter detector. Some people scoff at the low price but this is actually a $450 Prizm without notching that they put onto the market to compete with Garrett's low prices. It is very easy to use, the discrimination increments are amazingly accurate. It routinely finds solid targets past it's 8+ displayed. A lot of machines don't hit nickles very well but this one bangs hard on them, small gold as well. Excellent and easy pinpointing.
It does take two 9v batteries so you need to catch a good price on 9v batteries or invest in rechargables, worth it. It will go for over 40 hours on a set of batteries easy.

I highly recommend headphones with volume knobs on the earpieces, I got a cheap set for $30 and they are great. Headphones also extend battery life a lot, speakers eats up current like crazy. They will pay for themselves in battery savings.

The Fisher F2 has to be mentioned, if I didn't get the White's I would have gone for the F2.

Cruise on down to the thrift store and get yourself a little $3 messenger bag with a flap for finds and stuff.

You really don't need to buy an expensive digging tool but you do want a sod tool like a Lesche, the big online stores have alternatives.

Fill in all of your holes like you plan to walk across that ground in the dark later.

Good luck.

If you look on page 3 mindspike is selling a few month old F2 for $140 including shipping

look on page 3, Go to Harbor freight and buy a Cen Tech $17 pin pointer and stop at Home Depot, Lowe's, or Walmart and get an Ames or Fiskars $10 garden knife digger, and a cheap nail apron to start out with......

I just bought a Fisher F2. Used it once before the rain n snow hit. Its a turn on n go machine. I like it so far just need more practice. I owned an Ace 250 and its a darn good machine as well. I think recovery time is a bit faster with the F2 though. Got mine at Big Boys Hobbies and he's very knowledgeable and professional. The package with the extra 4 inch coil is within your budget. And in classifieds on this forum a guy is selling an F2 at a good price. Its one of the threads near the top so its easy to find. Good luck and let us know what you get.

think that f2 might have been sold,check the classifieds, ,its a good buy.A good beep and dig machine is a tesoro silver u max ,kind forces you to learn what the signals are,dig everything until you get to know your machine.:D

I would suggest the f2 or ace 250 both are awesome machines. If your dry sand detecting get a sand scoop colonial has a nice SS scoop for like 55 you can also use a little scoop or a feed scoop. If you land detecting get a digging tool.

Back
Top Bottom