maybe I should have bought an Ace 250?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
My son let me borrow his Ace 250 he bought several years ago to find his property markers.

So I took it out in the back yard just to see how it reacted to coins and junk on top my flat piece of dirt free of any targets in the ground.

Well say what you might about some expensive detectors but this Ace surprised me.

Ok the display has no TID's (maybe a good thing). Does not have 50 tones, also maybe a good thing.

The display has row of bars and above that what the bars mean.
foil, 5c, pull tab, 1c, 10c, 25c, 50c, $1
gold and bronze and silver.

You put that sucker in coin mode and it will be silent over pull tabs, square tabs and rusty bottle caps, rusty iron bolts and nails. Even over aluminum caps it bounces around and not a steady 1 block indicator like on all coins.

Ok, couldn't figure how to ground balance, maybe it does not have that ability. These were targets on the ground not in the ground.

But in my opinion the ability to accurately call the coin targets in the coin mode and completely silent on and ignore all the other junk we in encounter in a trashy park makes me think this is a great little coin holder.

The coil was a 5 x 8" coil (which i lived on my AT Pro).

So if the Ace 250 is this good (in my opinion) what about the ACE 300, 350, 400?

I am going to take it out to my favorite trashy park and see how it performs on targets in the ground.

But based on my above ground test, I am impressed. I wish my 800 could ID coins with that precision.

Update after park visit:

Bear in mind the park is a very trashy park. Put any detector in the all metal mode and it goes crazy due to foil, pop tops, pull tabs full, rings and beaver tail and iron nails and of course aluminum caps.

Put the 250 in the coin mode and proceeded to hunt. Ok, with the coins I found memorials and modern dimes it called them very clear with the bell tone and rock steady single block under the coin ID.

It did report iffy signals on foil, bottle caps and aluminum caps. But they all gave off what I call a half bell tone. Right when you would think you would hear the bell tone taper off like any ringing bell it simply halted with a little audible pop.

Every coin I found was the unmistakable bell tone or double bell tone. No guessing. Of course on all coins I performed a 90 degree cross sweep and got the exact same precise tone.

On all the junk the target block jumped around a little or a lot. But with coins it was a single block with no jumping.

Depth indicator is like most, relative at best and not absolute.
Pinpointing was very easy and precise.

I would never hesitate to recommend this to a new person to the hobby.
Not complicated at all!

And I don't mean to say the ACE 250 is only for newbies. It is a quite capable machine.

Now back to my 800. How does my 2 hours with the Ace 250 apply to my 800? Not ready yet to sell the 800 but...

Maybe i don't need 50 tones. Maybe in my trashy park I should operate in 5 or 10Khz instead of multi. Using my 800 multi setting in this trashy park the 800 reports the smallest speck of foil, Aluminum caps often come in as a solid coin signal.

Probably have to use some new bin settings copied into my user button that simulates the Ace 250. At least for trashy parks and looking for just coins.

kind of funny if you think about it.

Last edited:
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Ace 250. It's what got me my 1st confederate buckle.

Edited to add: no gb on the Ace.

085545f9381b7bbd855f6e858346e00a.jpg

I do have the ace 400 along with several other detectors. The 400 is my last choice to use because of its limited function which is the lack of ground balance feature. For the same money you can get more for the buck.

what a sweet find. So much on my bucket list. Heck, even a Yankee belt buckle is on my bucket list.
Thanks!
I've actually never found a US buckle...yet. I'll get me one at some point, fingers crossed.
I only used the Ace once on a civil war hunt. I usually have my AT Max or Equinox but on this trip I only had an older Ace on hand.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom