The bank nixes Tumbling.

I just got done rolling a modest $22 bucks in clad to take to the supermarket bank- or at least I had planed to....

I'll let you guys know how it goes?!?!

Why? It's legal tender. :?:

It isn't legal tender if the government itself won't take them back.

The rules for mutilated notes are different from the rules for mutilated coins. Mutilated notes are replaced at face value provided the note's value can be determined. Mutilated coins will be accepted back by the government for melt value, not face value.

Here is info on returning mutilated coins:

http://www.usmint.gov/email/mutilatedcoin.pdf

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT
UNCURRENT AND MUTILATED COINS
1) What is the difference between Uncurrent and Mutilated coins?
UNCURRENT: U.S. coins which are merely worn or reduced in weight by natural abrasion yet are readily and clearly recognizable and machine countable, are classified as Uncurrent Coins.
MUTILATED: All coins that are bent, broken, corroded, not whole, melted together and not machine countable, are classified as Mutilated Coins.
2) Where do I redeem Uncurrent coins?
You should contact your bank to redeem uncurrent coins at face value. (This includes
silver coins).
3) Where do I redeem Mutilated coins?
Mutilated coins are redeemable at:
United States Mint
ATTN: Mutilated Coin Redemption Section
P.O. Box 400 for Post Office shipments only
151 N. Independence Mall East
Philadelphia, PA 19106
You may mail them through the U.S. Post Office, Federal Express, UPS, etc. You can also deliver in person to the loading dock located between Race and Arch streets on 4th street. Receiving hours are 6:00AM to 1:00PM, Monday through Friday.
ALL PERSONS DELIVERING COINS TO THE U. S. MINT, MUST FIRST SCHEDULE A DROP OFF DATE AND BE CLEARED BY MINT SECURITY AT LEAST 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE. PLEASE CALL (215) 408-0203 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
4) What information must I supply with my coins?
Name, Address, Telephone Number, and SSN or TIN.
Note: As required by 31 USC 3325(b) and Treasury instructions, a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or Social Security Number must be provided for all individuals and entities in order to receive government payment.
5) Are there any mutilated coins that the U.S. Mint will not redeem?
The following will not be redeemed by the U.S. Mint:
Fused material unrecognizable as U.S. currency.
Foreign coins.
Counterfeit coins and slugs.
Altered coins, changed to pass as another denomination. Coins or lumps of coins, which contain lead, solder or other substances, which would make them unsuitable for use as coinage metal. Precious coins (gold or silver).
Note: There is a minimum of 1LB or .45KG per denomination or separated alloy that can be accepted for redemption. Any underweight coin will not be processed for redemption and all shipping expenses and risk involved with the Mutilated coins shipped to the Mint will be incurred by the shipper.
6) Do I have to separate the coins, pennies from nickels,etc?
Yes, each coin must be separated by Alloy.
7) How will I be paid for these mutilated coins?
You will receive a check for your coins or direct deposit to your bank account if you complete a SF-3881, ACH Vendor/Miscellaneous payment enrollment form.
Denomination Category: Rate per Kg. / Lbs.
a) Cents, both copper and copper zinc. $3.21 $1.45
b) Nickels $9.99 $4.50
c) Clad coins(dimes, quarters,halves) $44.09 $19.84
d) Dollar(Susan b.Anthony,Golden Dollar) $123.46 $56.00
REMEMBER THE U.S. MINT ONLY REDEEMS COINS!
8) Paper Currency is redeemed at:
Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Engraving and Printing
OCS, BEPA, Room 344
P.O. Box 37048
Washington, D.C. 20013
Telephone# 202-874-2361.
9) How long do I have to wait for payment?
It is estimated that you will receive payment within 6 to 8 weeks from the time the coins arrive at the U.S. Mint.
10) Can I call the U.S. Mint to check on my coin shipment?
Primary number to call is (215) 408-0203
Secondary number is (215) 408-0204
THE FOLLOWING TABLE WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF COIN WEIGHTS
DENOMINATIONS PIECES PER POUND
.01 BRONZE 146
.01 ZINC 181
.05 91
.10 200
.25 80
.50 40
1.00 IKE 20
1.00 SBA 56
1.00 GOLDEN DOLLAR 56
COINS NEED TO BE SEPARATED AND BE A POUND OR MORE
Pennies have to be by them self.
Nickels have to be by them self.
Dimes, Quarters, Half Dollars and Ike dollars can go together.
SBA and the Golden dollars need to be separated also.

Back
Top Bottom