9 Year Old Boy Brings Knife to School.

13rannon

Elite Member
I got a phone call from the Principles Office today asking me to pick up my son because he had brought a knife to school. As you can imagine I was shocked and pretty distraught hearing this information. The only knives I could think of were kitchen knives since I do not hunt live animals or really collect knives at all.

I keep what knives I do have which were given to me by my Grandpa locked up in my safe in case of a fire. Other than those antique knives and the kitchen knives I could not think of any other knife he could have taken. My kitchen knives are the really sharp knives they sell on tv. I'm not even sure what they are called I've had them so long, but they are definitely sharp. I was freaking out.

When I arrived at the school I was instructed to show my I.D. and then I was led to the Principles Office. There I had a seat and the Principle closed the door and stated again the reason I was there was because my son had brought a knife to school. After I was informed of a zero tolerance school rule against weapons of any kind I was shown what he had brought to school.

I have been fishing mostly this year not metal detecting at all really. I've went maybe three times that I can remember this year. The most recent was last weekend where my wife took a day off work to relax and go metal detecting with me. We hunted a park that dated back to the 1870s where I ended up finding an 1875 shield nickel.

At noon we decided to head home that day to clean up before we picked the kids up from school. After picking up the kids we decided to try the park again shortly before we got something to eat. It was then that my son dug his first real good to him find. It was an old pocket knife. The kind that I'm sure most all of us have found. It was so old the side was falling off and the blades had long ago joined together in a blob of iron oxide rendering the knife inert and nonfunctional.

On seeing the knife I was greatly relieved. I had asked the Principal if the suspension was set in stone or if there was any way to advert it. I was informed that there was nothing else to do. There is a zero tolerance on weapons.

I am relieved when I came to the realization that my son just wanted to share his find with his classmate rather than a nefarious reason. He sits with a girl on the bus that lives in the neighborhood and I think he was trying to impress her with his relic since it was the first one he had ever found.

My son is also in BoyScouts and his mother is a Den Leader. They have meetings at the local church. They had just finished their first meeting this week after having sign ups in my sons school cafeteria where my wife, two kids, and I attended.

I wonder if this also confused my son since at BoyScouts they see knives being used and carried frequently by the adults. Since the adults were in full uniform as with any other meeting I wonder if that in a sense helped desensitize him in regards to the seriousness of taking knives into a school building.

My son knows now what he done was against the rules and how serious taking weapons to school is. I am given (5) days to appeal for procedural correctness. Since the suspension was only (1) day I cannot appeal the charge only for procedural correctness which I am giving serious thought to.

I am reaching out to the FMDF for your (constructive) thoughts on whether I should persue an appeal of the zero tolerance rule for procedural correctness based on that in this instance the "weapon" or "knife" had long passed it's day as an operational device.

Example: In my mind if I was carrying this knife in my car and was stopped at a police checkpoint and asked if I had any weapons I would not even consider mentioning it.

I understand that weapons of any kind should not be on school grounds and that it is a very sensitive area these days to even talk about. I really believe in my heart though that this was different and could have been overlooked. I mean when does a weapon stop being a weapon? When it stops functioning, when its so caked in oxide that it is indistinguishable, or when there is nothing left?

Unrelated: This is the same place where right across the street from the High School Football field that someone discovered an intact Civil War artillery shell. They called out a local Retired Principle, Civil War Author, Historian, Collector, and Reinactor to verify it was real and unexploded. After the shell was authenticated and verified it was handed over to the Bomb Squad and detonated in a field where the Squad members picked up the pieces and took home as keep sakes.

If there are any school teachers that are familiar with these appeal procedures or anyone that has been through one has any information, pointers, or thoughts of how I could approach this that would be great!

Thanks,

13rannon

Are we talking a fully functional knife with a cutting edge or a rusted shut old pocket knife?

I'm only 36 but even in early high school, pocket knives were OK and a hardline stance on hunting rifles/shotguns wasn't posted until my senior year.

Pics?

Not too much you can do, it's the lefties who want to ban everything:mad:
about 10 years ago, my son was in 4th grade and my dad gave him a "letter opener" little kinfe, 2" blade or so.
He had it in his backpack and brought it out to show another kid and wham!
Principal called and he was suspended for 2 or 3 days.
What a joke

It was completely siezed together in a blob of rust. No pictures, I left it in the Principles Office. It was in my rust bucket in my garage waiting for disposal. It was totally inert.

I would appeal. From what you wrote it sounds like it was so rusted the blade was either gone or was unable to be opened. It is no longer a knife but a chunk of iron oxide. A plastic knife they give out in the lunch room could do more damage. A pencil could do more damage. Its obvious he was showing off his find. He didnt go to school wielding a sharp blade. He simply was showing off something he was proud of. Im not sure how you would get past the zero tolerance but showing up and explaining what he was actually doing is better than doing nothing at all.

I would take this all the way to the Supreme Court if I had to just to make a point.

While the iron blob may have been a knife at one point, there comes a time when the knife is no longer a knife and is just a hunk of rust. This nanny-state mentality has to stop. Be a catalyst here...don't roll over.

Ask them to flip a blade out and cut something with it just to prove a point....

And then give them the backstory about you and your son bonding over history and how this is a real kick in the pants for your family, not to mention the punishment fitting the "crime". The suspension would be the same had your son brought in a foot-long, razor-sharp bayonet.

Noun: knife; plural noun: knives

An instrument composed of a blade fixed into a handle, used for cutting or as a weapon.

It's debatable it's even a knife at that point. I'd fight it. It's no longer a knife, it's a hunk of rust. I found one like that. You couldn't open it if you wanted to.

appeal!!!!!...I am all for being a good citizen and all, and teach my kids to be the same, however this is an example of going too far for the right reasons. I would ask them to define "weapon" and "knife" as related to their policy, and then ask them to prove that your relic met the criteria for either knife or weapon as they define it. Maybe a newspaper article with your boy in scout uniform displaying his relic and telling the story......

Good luck!

I would appeal. From what you wrote it sounds like it was so rusted the blade was either gone or was unable to be opened. It is no longer a knife but a chunk of iron oxide. A plastic knife they give out in the lunch room could do more damage. A pencil could do more damage. Its obvious he was showing off his find. He didnt go to school wielding a sharp blade. He simply was showing off something he was proud of. Im not sure how you would get past the zero tolerance but showing up and explaining what he was actually doing is better than doing nothing at all.

Thank you so much for your reply! You are right!

And then give them the backstory about you and your son bonding over history and how this is a real kick in the pants for your family, not to mention the punishment fitting the "crime". The suspension would be the same had your son brought in a foot-long, razor-sharp bayonet.

You have a good point sir. Thank you for your passionate reply :)

appeal!!!!!...I am all for being a good citizen and all, and teach my kids to be the same, however this is an example of going too far for the right reasons. I would ask them to define "weapon" and "knife" as related to their policy, and then ask them to prove that your relic met the criteria for either knife or weapon as they define it. Maybe a newspaper article with your boy in scout uniform displaying his relic and telling the story......

Good luck!

Yes, in hind sight I should have asked for the knife back. She did not even offer to return it. I think they knew it was trash really. Not of any worth or use at all. Maybe really that is better than getting it back. I can reference the point that it was not even thought about being returned due to its worthlessness.

...while my boy was reprimanded for bringing the knife to school the Principle chose not to remove the "threat" but rather toss it in the trash.

I first have to say....ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. I can understand the no weapons policy, but it's a chunk of metal.
I would appeal and then sue! Ok maybe not sue, because you don't want you kids to suffer...but at least tell the principal you are thinking about getting legal counsel.
This makes my blood boil.

FYI when I was in the 4th grade a girl in my school got stabbed with a plastic fork. Next thing you know we will be eating with our hands.

I would appeal. It sounds like a good question for a lawyer, just to have some back-up info. What a nutty situation! Would he be in as much trouble if he just brought a picture of the knife? The threat level would be the same. Have they banned pencils and pens, yet? Those can be pretty dangerous, if one wanted to do harm. Sheesh! I'm only 44, but back in high school, we used to bring our rifles and or shotguns and keep them in our lockers if we were going hunting after school. We had them out during lunch. Never had a problem. Now, you get in trouble for making a gun gesture with your hand and saying bang.

the world keeps getting more and more stupid. in the day we all carried pocket knves in school and most boys had rifles and shotguns in their trucks. we were taught respect and right and wrong. if you didn't make good choices or broke the rules a teacher would give you swats with an oak paddle. must say i got lots of swats and should have gotten more. now a so called teacher can't even look cross-eyed at little johnny when he is acting up. the school system sucks today and will get worse as time goes on. HH blev

A couple of points here, first up the principle was implementing the rules to a T, he does have a difficult job. Secondly he could have taken the lad aside and just explained to him why he shouldn't bring this stuff to school. Invite his buddies around home after school and look at the find (knife). As a parent I would just take him out detecting again and have a bit of a discussion about how and why people are pretty touchy about these things. Stay out of the courts. That just clogs up the system on what is really a trivial matter. When my grandson gets it wrong at school we just get in the car and go hunting and we have a bit of a talk about how we need to handle these situations in today,s environment. Just my cent twos worth.

This is bordering on insane. When I was in high school, early 70's, I used to run a trap line. I would check my traps on the way to school, and carry a .22 cal rifle. (Just in case of the occasional skunk) When I got to school, I unloaded my weapon, and locked it in my locker. There was never a thought by anyone that I was a threat, or anyone else who hunted or carried woodsmans tools. I was always taught to carry a pocketknife at all times. I always have and always will. What people need to understand, is that there will always be the occasional crazy person that wants to inflict pain on someone. So these few have to ruin it for everyone? The school said no tolerance on weapons? I can think of many things that can be used as a weapon in a school building. Remember 9/11 folks, not a shot was fired. They carried little tiny box cutters, that can be hidden anywhere. Sorry for the rant, but just hate what the thought process of this "safe" society is.....:grin:

Sad commentary that we need rules like this at all - especially for our elementary school kids.

I'm sorry your son got caught up in this and hope it doesn't discourage him from being himself and trying to be an outgoing, social part of his community.

Maybe someday principles will be more willing to use common sense and intuition to make rule based types of decisions but today I think they're too afraid of lawsuits and job loss that they are blind to their own feelings.

As for appeals - my thought is this - your time is better served invested in further bonding with your son as apposed to chasing paperwork through an over-burdened, under-resourced, and likely disinterested system.

Have the best

Think you should try to get this issue off your son's record, as laughable as it might be right now. The record will follow him for a long while, but the details and description might get shortened over the years. The words KNIFE, and WEAPON, bring up some pretty nasty images in the minds of most, when reading disciplinary notes. Seems like it's obviously non-functional as a knife or weapon, the principal should have noted that, and taken it into consideration. Really wasn't looking out for the welfare of your son, or what his school record reflects. Zero tolerance, I can understand, but there was no way to use the item as a knife, or weapon.

Back
Top Bottom