1800's rifle in the pock!

TedS

Me and a buddy of mine decided to try our luck at a long abandoned mine in Arizona last weekend. We split up and each went our own way. I found 2 Carhartt heart coverall buttons but he totally out did me when he came walking up the hill carrying this rifle. We have managed to kind of ID it as a Navy Arms 45-70 rolling block rifle. There are really no marks other than "476" stamped into the octagon barrel. We think this rifle is from the mid to late 1800's. It was just lying there about 4" in the dirt. He found it with his Tesoro Lobo. The hammer is pulled back like it was dropped during a re-load. There were high tensions in the area between the indians and miners in the day and we wonder if the owner died while fighting with it. It's been there for a real long time for the wood stock to decompose, if anybody has any information on this rifle it would be greatly appreciated. What a find.....

Attachments

• gun1.jpg
    gun1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,253
  • gun2.jpg
    gun2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,810
  • gun3.jpg
    gun3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,758
That is an awsome find, WOW:wow: must be a dry area you found it in, sure is in good shape rust wise considering being in the ground. All of the other old guns you see found tend to be very rusty looking on here.

That is an awsome find, WOW:wow: must be a dry area you found it in, sure is in good shape rust wise considering being in the ground. All of the other old guns you see found tend to be very rusty looking on here.

That was my first thought too - must be the dry Arizona climate because it hardly looks dug...! :shock:

With the usually dry Arizona weather, not surprised the shape the metal parts are in. That is a really awesome find you got there. Congrats.

Can we get a pic of the end of the barrel with a coin beside it for size reference? You said 45-70, did you mic the bore? Great find by the way!

Wow amazing find. I would definatly put that beauty were it can be seen and appreciated. I love that kind of stuff, can u imagine the last guy to hold that could have been fighting for his life....

Back
Top Bottom