E-Trac "Silver" Sound

ystfrk

Howdy,

Let preface this post with an I love this detector!!!!! This is the first one that I have really clicked with, and it just finds all of the coins. Especially '65 quarters and dimes, and pre '64 pennies and nickels.....grrrrr :laughing:

My one question is this "silver" sound I've read about. I tested a merc and a clad dime and can't tell the difference.

I played the cello, and had my pitch discrimination analyzed in a lab, and it is quite good. So I draw two conclusions from that.

1-Clad and Silver sound the same, and it is just a placebo effect, since the E-Trac finds all of the coins :lol:.

2-I am not using the correct audio settings. I've searched forums and videos, and so far I haven't found one that seems to make a difference.

So I am looking to all you E-Trac gurus to steer me in the right direction.

I don't have my settings on hand, but I think I'm using - Gain 28, Variability 29, multi, conductive, threshold pitch 28, response normal, but smooth almost seemed to show a change between silver and clad.

Thanks!!!!!

"Chirp-thunk" with 12-45 to 12-48 on the display and depth meter pegged near the bottom. :lol:

Some folks say they can tell the difference between shallow silver and clad. I can't.

I remember silver dimes sounding a little more flutey than the clad when I had mine and air tests on silver coins may not sound the same as ones that have been setting in the ground awhile. But with VDI and sound on the Etrac I was usually able to call silver or clad a good deal of the time. Either way you'r probably not going to walk away from good a dime signal.

I would explain it as, listen to the Pitch of the highest tone, coupled with a slightly higher TID number (usually) can give you a better idea pre-dig that you may have a silver coin.

It takes time to train your ears to it, but keep swinging, eventually the light bulb will come on and you'll have your "ah ha" moment. :) We all get fooled sometimes, it just goes with the territory, but you'll understand what it's saying more with more time in the saddle with it. :)

I'm far from an Etrac guru but I often notice a certain sound when I find silver. For example, I can tell pretty much everytime when I'm over a clad dime. It's a solid, mono tone. But when over a silver dime, it's usually a variable pitch. "Flutey" is a good word for it. When I hear that sound, I'm very sure it's silver. BUT!! When I air test silver, I get a solid tone like clad, so maybe you only get the warble when it's in the ground for some reason.

IMO I couldn't tell much difference. ..but when I got that tone 8-10" instead of 2-4" I knew chances were much better it was silver. But any high tone I'll dig...and started digging more mid tones recently as well and it has paid off for sure. HH!

If it means anything,,,XS explorer's tone a tad more telling vs etrac.

Meaning if I had to place a bet based solely on sound,, to bet silver or not,,XS explorer is what I would take my chances with--- but this still doesn't mean I couldn't lose some bets along the way.

I would explain it as, listen to the Pitch of the highest tone, coupled with a slightly higher TID number (usually) can give you a better idea pre-dig that you may have a silver coin.

It takes time to train your ears to it, but keep swinging, eventually the light bulb will come on and you'll have your "ah ha" moment. :) We all get fooled sometimes, it just goes with the territory, but you'll understand what it's saying more with more time in the saddle with it. :)

Yes, this too in addition to what I told you in my PM...

Thanks for all of your advice gents.

Now I just need to get my coil over some silver. I seem to have a '65 curse!

I think the sound and numbers might be different for a coin lying on edge. I do remember digging a merc and getting the flutey sound, then digging a silver rosie that made a solid whine. Will have to pay more attention, but I don't dig enough silvers :(

Back
Top Bottom