Pound the Ground October - NY

ollievon

Elite Member
Just curious how many are considering on going? My buddy and I are contemplating it, but are weighing the pros and cons of cost, location, and weather that time of year...I guess Hoover Boys announced their planning on going.

What say you?

I've never even heard of this event. A lot of seeded hunts these days are very expensive when compared to what the return is for the average hunter.

I'm considering going.

It's a 16 hour drive for me but the Hoover Boys are the ones who are responsible for my beeping obsession and it would be pretty swell to meet them. Also, I would be pretty much guaranteed to find my oldest coin out there.

Costs $150 to do both the "natural" hunt where no finds are a possibility and the seeded hunt. You can cut costs by doing only one of the hunts. The site is nearly in Canada so it's a long ride for almost everyone.

From Albany it's about 3 hours...so it's not too bad. 1200 acres with probably 300+ others doesn't sound appealing to me (you get a hit and then someone you don't know leeches over to your area and gets a hit...no thanks).

$100 for the ticket
$150 for a hotel room
$100 for gas (there are no tolls which is good)
$100 for food and BEER (yes, of course duh)

expensive weekend to possibly not find anything too...oh, and Upstate NY in the fall is super random weather (so it could rain the entire weekend, detecting in the rain ain't my thing).

I'm sure it would be fun from a social aspect for sure, that's my main motivation really. My buddy are struggling since it's in October of which is prime detecting season for us since the farmers all cut their crops and we can have at it to 100's of acres of exclusive permissions.

And we all are weekend warriors, so every weekend until it snows is precious as we all know.

He's selling 1,500 tickets, not 300. WAY too many people for any hunt. I attended the one he did in April and it was poorly run. Only 200 people for that event and he had a lot of problems. Started 1/2 hour late, had a 1/2 hour concert break (not necessary) and then the raffle took forever. He might pull it off, but don't bet on it.

He's also stated that he's detected the site, along with his buddies. Definitely not a virgin site. Maybe someone will pull out something historic, but will it be worth $150 or more? Add the cost of gas, food and lodging and I see myself spending at least $500 for the hunt. Not gonna happen.

He's selling 1,500 tickets, not 300. WAY too many people for any hunt. I attended the one he did in April and it was poorly run. Only 200 people for that event and he had a lot of problems. Started 1/2 hour late, had a 1/2 hour concert break (not necessary) and then the raffle took forever. He might pull it off, but don't bet on it.

He's also stated that he's detected the site, along with his buddies. Definitely not a virgin site. Maybe someone will pull out something historic, but will it be worth $150 or more? Add the cost of gas, food and lodging and I see myself spending at least $500 for the hunt. Not gonna happen.

If he's selling 1500 tickets and he's hunted the site with his buddies, this sounds like it's more of a "money grab" than anything else.

If this has been hunted before, then what's the point? 1500 tickets for 1200 acres? Uh, do the math...sounds like a tight area to me.

Meh, I have enough exclusive permissions from the 1700's where I live, I'm good.

That's great, Tater! Give us the full scoop on the hunt when you get back. You never know, someone might find something really cool. I just hope the other 1,499 people don't end up finding jack squat! Lol!

I’m going. If I can dig one thing from the colonial era, I’ll be happy. We just don’t have those things here in Wisconsin. Ticket sales are capped at 1250 and 1200 acres to roam seems like enough space. I’ve found plenty of targets before next to other people’s dig holes. It’s something different for me to experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone there finds an LC or bust or colonial copper, I will vomit . :sissyfight:

It's no longer 1,200 acres. He posted a map and there's a very large area off limits because the farmer has soybeans planted there. Any spot that doesn't have a blue border around it is now off limits.

Attachments

• 69829794_701849750227331_297250030811611136_n.jpg
    69829794_701849750227331_297250030811611136_n.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 584
Back
Top Bottom