Beachhunter ID met a watery grave and I am thinking of selling some of my antique clocks to get something else...Any thoughts?

gtodude

So for the 2nd time in its life, my beachhunter has leaked and given up the ghost. I could send it to Whites to fix again but rather than spend the money for the second time and possibly end up in the same sinking ship again, it may be time to move on to bigger and better things.

I have always wanted the Excalibur because of the seemingly positive response from those who own one but the price tag, according to the wife, is not justifiable. So that brings me to this, one of my other hobbies may have to assist me in buying a new detector. I have a fairly large antique clock collection that could stand to be thinned a bit but I also have a fair sized collection of coins too. While I’m not entirely excited to have to use one to pay for another, it may be my only option.

So I present to you fine folks my dilemma, would you liquidate some clocks or some coins to continue to pursue your passion of metal detecting in the water or would you just stick to using your dirt fishing detector and forget about the water hunting?

For those of you with the Excalibur, does it work well on land as well as the water and does it break down enough to pack in a carry on bag to bring with me on my trips? I currently bring the MXT and it breaks down fairly well but the box and screen do take up a quite a bit of room.

I appreciate any and all comments regarding this unfortunate situation. 😁

Eric

I wouldn’t sell from my collection unless I really needed the money. You can justify the cost of the Excalibur by just a couple of nice finds...pays for itself. :cool:

Well, do you have any gold silver or platinum from the beachhunter finds that can be sold to finance a new one?

So for the 2nd time in its life, my beachhunter has leaked and given up the ghost. I could send it to Whites to fix again but rather than spend the money for the second time and possibly end up in the same sinking ship again, it may be time to move on to bigger and better things.

I have always wanted the Excalibur because of the seemingly positive response from those who own one but the price tag, according to the wife, is not justifiable. So that brings me to this, one of my other hobbies may have to assist me in buying a new detector. I have a fairly large antique clock collection that could stand to be thinned a bit but I also have a fair sized collection of coins too. While I’m not entirely excited to have to use one to pay for another, it may be my only option.

So I present to you fine folks my dilemma, would you liquidate some clocks or some coins to continue to pursue your passion of metal detecting in the water or would you just stick to using your dirt fishing detector and forget about the water hunting?

For those of you with the Excalibur, does it work well on land as well as the water and does it break down enough to pack in a carry on bag to bring with me on my trips? I currently bring the MXT and it breaks down fairly well but the box and screen do take up a quite a bit of room.

I appreciate any and all comments regarding this unfortunate situation. 😁

Eric

Why don't you get a $600. Minelab Equinox 600? Its new tech and waterproof to about 10 feet I think. Beats the excal.

Yes I do have some that I have found and could part with for sure. I was trying to be patient and sell when the spot prices go up though. My collection of clocks and watches number in the hundreds and take up more of my wife’s precious home space, that why I thought that might smooth over the fact of spending $1500 on a whim. Many of them were bought to sell anyhow and have zero sentimental significance. The ones that do, I would never sell...I’ll leave that to the wife and kids when I take an eternal nap.

I haven’t read much about the Nox but I do see used ones for sale a lot, both the 600 and 800 and a lot of guys speaking good things about them. Are they waterproof as in being totally submerged? I know the website says to 10ft but how true is that? If they can go down 10’, I may have to reconsider my options. Here is a pic of a small portion of my clocks.

Eric

Attachments

• 5399D2DE-3859-47DB-A246-A719577C3B30.jpg
    5399D2DE-3859-47DB-A246-A719577C3B30.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 268
Dang dude!!!!...tons of clocks....sell sell sell and I agree with Metaladdict....get a nox...for the price point it is fully waterproof to 10 feet and multi frequency....I'm just not sure on availability of waterproof headphones since the unit is still really new. Anyways, hope it all works out and you get a new detector soon.

GL & HH
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, if the clocks aren’t sentimental I’d sell some of those too.. also, even tho the beachhunter is damaged and u don’t plan on fixing it, it still has some value... you could sell it really cheap without fixing it, and have the buyer fix it. You wouldn’t get much for it, but its that or put it broken in a closet for yrs, or spend the money to fix it and sell. HH

Now y’all got me thinkin’!! That’s never a good thing. So if I bought the 800 and a set of Bluetooth waterproof headphones, I’d be back in business. Hmmmmm 🤔. 2-4 clocks gone and I’ll be in good shape. Thanks for the input guys! Anyone else, feel free to add to the conversation.

Eric

I thought about that too Midknight, it does have a newer 12” spider coil and the headphones are in great shape. Plus it has a nice graphite lower shaft. Hmmmm...you may be onto something there.

I guess another option would be to sell the Mxt300 as well and just have the Equinox for everything. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think you've got the right idea here but there's always the chance you would need a spare in case you ever had to send your Knox to the shop .You might want to hang on to your MXT .

I agree....hang on to that MXT.....sell your other detector and some clocks & get the nox

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wireless bluetooth?

Now y’all got me thinkin’!! That’s never a good thing. So if I bought the 800 and a set of Bluetooth waterproof headphones, I’d be back in business.

Will they work detecting in the water with the box submerged

Is the beach hunter flooded with salt water? Not really a death sentence if fresh or washed out and dried quickly.

You only really need one clock that tells the right time 😀😀

If you have any duplicates of any clocks or coins then sell those first, if not, or if that's not enough, then just sell the least favorite stuff from your collections.
(and smart man on figuring a way to get the money and still keep the wife happy :lol:)

Yes it was flooded with salt water, immediately turned off when I heard it start making weird noises, saw the box had water in it and drive home. Took it all apart, rinsed it and let it dry. Put it all back together and nothing. RIP good buddy ☹️

Not sure if the BT headphones will work with the box submerged, maybe I’ll just get the waterproof ones instead...good call.

As far as the clocks go, I have duplicates of many and yes some already have a target on their back 😁. Hopefully I’ll be using my new detector soon! 👍

I think keeping the MXT is a wise decision. It’s been a great machine and never has let me down...we’ll except for the coil recently but other than that, 8 years and no complaints.

Thanks again gents!

I had three custom made knives that were made by a master bladesmith. The day he passed away he had a 13 year waiting list of folks who wanted one of his knives.

I decided that I wanted a New Xcal for the beach and water. So even though it hurt to do so I sold those knives. Purchased a new Xcal at an outstanding price and got a second Rechargable battery in the deal. Had enough money to buy a high quality sand scoop and still had some money left over.

Even though it did hurt temporarily to sell the knives The finds that I have made with have certainly eased the pain. I have now reached the point that I am glad that I made the decision to sell and get what I really wanted.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

George,

I hear ya brotha! I sold my last of 7 GTO’s, a beautiful 1969 Ram Air III Judge to move to Florida and it hurt horribly at first. It took me 5 years to restore it and I still think about it. I must say, because of that horrible day, I have enjoyed living here in FL for 14 years, met my wife here, had kids here, and many other wonderful things that I have to count my blessings. Life has a way of working out but truly in the grand scheme of things, cars, clocks, coins, it’s all just stuff....the material things will come and go but the memories that go along with that stuff will last a lifetime, that is if I don’t end up with some horrible disease like dementia or Alzheimer’s. After being in a business where I saw lives cut short on a daily basis, I have learned to cherish every moment on this Earth and live it to fullest extent possible. Follow your dreams, find your passions and just enjoy every moment you have in this life because it goes by way to quickly.

Sorry y’all, I’ll get off my soapbox now 😁

Eric

I'm not sure about how to handle getting your new toy but I do have to wonder how long it takes your to adjust all those clocks twice a year when the time changes :lol: May save yourself some extra time by just selling a few of those clcoks :laughing:.

Back
Top Bottom