South Africa 2014 off to a good start.

beachdude

Elite Member
Well I arrived on Friday night and couldn't wait to hop into the Indian Ocean, but I had to sort out my house, get my car (the boiled egg) started, fill the fridge and get my internet hooked up so I only managed to get in the water today.
My Stavr scoop heads were waiting for me at the post office (a second Evro Excavator w2.2 and an M9) for the treasure hunting tours I will be doing down here for the next 3 months.

Before I headed out, I posted on my facebook that this year's wishlist was to find an engagement ring. I had yet to find one, in spite of finding 58 gold rings in the last 2 years. Also, I wouldn't mind finding some platinum because I had yet to find any of that as well...

I hit two beaches today, 2 hours before low tide and hunted until 2 hours after low tide. Lake hunting in Toronto has made me soft. Getting pummeled by these massive ocean waves it was really hard to set the scoop on a target accurately! I nearly got completely bowled over a couple of times but stuck it out and was rewarded with two 9k gold wedding bands and a platinum engagement ring with a massive triangular diamond in it that looks to be 2 carats at least and maybe bigger. I have never seen a diamond this big in a ring before. It seems colorless to me and pretty clear, but I will take the ring in to have it appraised tomorrow.

After 4 hours of hunting, I stopped and came home, although I could have kept on hunting, I am going to ease into it until the waves have toughened me up a bit.

My first experience using an Anderson over and under shaft and I really like it a lot. The Excal balances nicely in the water and on the wet sand.

1503430_10151924822733581_273331038_n.jpg

1506428_10151924822738581_1831069993_n.jpg

1560456_10151924823373581_939459679_n.jpg

1511560_10151924822643581_322189984_n.jpg

Dang that is one heck of a stone!

Let us know how the appraisal goes!

Congrats on the gold/plat!

3 great rings on your first hunt back. Amazing as you fulfill 2 items off the wish list. The Platinum engagement ring really looks to have some outstanding value. Congrats! Jack

Congrats on a VERY successful first hunt for the year. I think you'd better add some items to that 'want' list. : ) Good luck on futue hunts and with that appraisal.

Your heading should have said WARNING, wear sun glasses before reading.

If you send it to me I will forget the lawsuit for blinding me.

All I can say is a huge congrats for a fine ring!!!!

She's a Beauty, Post like this is why everyone wants into the water....can you blame them...;)

Amazing start, what a ring, what a rock.... congrats on the great find.

Cliff

Killer finds, your treasure tours are going to book up quick with folks wanting to make finds like that.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:man, that is not just a large stone, it is a very nice cut and set in Plat is sure a bet to be good quality,,,one of the nicer ones I have seen,,,,big congrats to you,,,couple bands to go with it, what a day to remember,,,,,GL HH

:holycow: that is one AWESOME ring. The others are nice as well. I love the ring holder what is it and where can I get one? Yes the acrylic one not your finger. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom